Addressing "how many can we sign this year?"

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
Addressing \"how many can we sign this year?\"

- We have 15 we can give now based on the cap of 79 on scholarship and no more than 19 in a year. This assumes Riles on medical until he graduates...and not counting towards the total.
- We anticipate getting 2 more of those back based on appeal. That would give us 17...we will not know unti August on this. However, this number will likely not exceed the 19 cap we placed on ourselves.
- We have one young man that will likely graduate this June and not play his 5th year...that would free up #18.
- We have 2 or 3 other likely medical candidates until they graduate (which does not count against total). It is also usually safe to say a player or two may not make it academically. Among those 2-5, we are likely to free up #19.
- The above is how we safely take 17....and go as high as 19 in this class assuming they are the right players (players that can help us win championships).
- Could we go over 19 if all of the "right players" commit? Sure...that would require one or two of the current commitments taking a greyshirt their first year (pay their own way, HOPE, etc.), going to a prep school for one year, etc. and count towards next years total instead. Downside of that?...we only have 12 seniors next year. One of those are referenced above as a possible early graduate which leaves on 11 opening next year before we hit the 79 cap...or even the raised cap to 81 or 82 if we guess right and go over the limit this year planning to win on appeal. That makes next years class VERY small.

The repercussions of this are most likely felt in 2008 and 2009 as far as the playing field is concerned.

Re: Addressing \"how many can we sign this year?\"

I am definitely not an expert on this, but I thought that if the kid was getting ANY kind of financial aid (HOPE, etc) that it counted agianst the FB scholarship limit, due to the old Bear Bryant days when he'd have a kid on a swimming scholarship playing FB to get around scholarship caps.

I think you can rule out the hope angle. Everyone made their grades the first semeester and I hope that will continue through the next semester. Riles was held out this year due to his back and is rumored to be coming back next year. I'm not sure of Morrison's situation though. There may be a few available with redshirt juniors graduating and not playing next year. If this happens it won't be anyone that has had any significant playing time. The staff is recruiting as if we will win the appeal. Where this all sifts out is still to be determined.

I am guessing that there will be a couple of transfers next year and a couple of flunk outs. There usualy are. I bet we have an additional 4-5 available on top of the 12 you project. Also, partial scholarships are always a possiblity.

Partial scholarships only occur in the sports like baseball, etc. not in football.

<<Partial scholarships only occur in the sports like baseball, etc. not in football.>>

I didn't know that...

I do know that many coaches will aggressively weed out athletes that are taking a scholarship and clearly aren't ever going to play in the future. The coaches will be proactive about trying to find a place for the SA to transfer (for a better fit). I think Cremins has done it. I don't know if Gailey would, but I am sure there are a handful of players that just aren't going to play. I Perfections Harris, for example.

Thanks for a good analysis of our situation.

The possibility of an 11 person recruiting class is frightening. I would cap signings this year and have more scholarships available for next year. A year of bringing in only 11 would greatly impact the program.

With only 11 or 12 seniors...that will be the minimum. Of course, attrition should bring that number up a couple notches.

That is why we are in a situation where we will only sign kids if they can help us win championships...not sign a kid just because the slot is available.

Question about partial scholly's - is that because we can only have a set number of scholly's for baseball and it's not enough to give the whole team one? I've never really understood the rationale behind the partial scholarship (or is it Title 9 stuff?)

Yes, Baseball, Golf .....

Tennis, Swimming, etc. have scholarships limits for less than the number it would take to field a full squad. I think it applies to all "non-revenue" sports, i.e. anything that isn't football or basketball.

I work with a former Tech golfer. He said guys like Duvall, Cink, Kuchar, and Molder generaly had a full scholly and the rest of the team split what remained. If I remember correctly, I think baseball has 12 scholarships to split among the team.

It may also be that these coaches can make use of HOPE scholarships whereas football and basketball cannot. But I am not 100% sure of this.

Re: Yes, Baseball, Golf .....

[ QUOTE ]

It may also be that these coaches can make use of HOPE scholarships whereas football and basketball cannot. But I am not 100% sure of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this either, but a while back there was a very interesting thread on the subject of Tech's great in state recruiting for baseball. Someone made the point of how positive the Hope has been for being able to attract so much of the great local baseball talent. Without the Hope, many players would not be here, as they would have signed with someone that offered more in terms of scholarship.

Waaaaaaay back when I played, there was certainly no Hope scholarship and I think the total number of scholarships was 7 or 8. Only a couple of guys got full scholarship money, and the rest of the pot was chopped up at the coach's discretion.
For those that wonder how these partials worked, Tech calculated the $ value of a full ride, and each player received a check for the appropriate amount from the GTAA every quarter. There was no stipulation on how the money could be spent.
I would think that this method has probably changed since then.

Re: Yes, Baseball, Golf .....

Any kid can take a HOPE scholarship if he is a GA resident and has a 3.0 GPA...but remember that only covers classes...that does not cover living expense (dorm, food, etc.) which makes up a substantial portion of the cost.

Also...you only get 20 preferred walk-on slots per year.

Back