Advice to 'Dores

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Advice to \'Dores

How would I attack the GT defense?

I expect your coach will have a good game plan. He did a quality job at GSU.

The tricky thing about our defense this year is the new HC/coordinator. No one really knows what will or will not work against us.

Under O'Leary, I would have said attack our corners and slip people out to break tackles. Now I am not sure.

I would try a bit of everything, and see what does or does not work. Don't abandon your run game because I think we will be too tough if you are 1-dimensional. It is also a lot of mental pressure on your new QB. Make our LBs and safeties prove themselves.

Also, expect us to have enough speed and quickness to pressure your QB, despite returning a good pass pro offensive line. If you are not using the same blocking schemes as last year, your linemen may have problems in early games. Gathers will be a problem, as will our LDE rotation. I expect Coach Judy to throw a lot of blizes at your new QBs.

I expect our defense to have an opportunistic mindset, which means that you may be able to exploit overaggressiveness at times. Use misdirection, option, etc.

YOUR defense is more the key. Will they create turnovers or consistently pin your offense deep in its own territory?

However, bottom line, I don't think you have a chance. I think we have too many athletes, and I think Chan gives us pro-quality game planning and coaching.

Re: Advice to \'Dores

Originally posted by Techbert:
I expect your coach will have a good game plan. He did a quality job at GSU.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I can't help it. This is about the third time I've seen GSU connected with Bobby Johnson today.
grin.gif

Vanderbilt's Bobby Johnson was the head coach at Furman the last few years. He did do a great job there. He spent basically his whole coaching career at Furman, except for one year at Clemson, his alma mater.

Paul Johnson was the head coach at Georgia Southern last season. He is now at Navy, where he had previously been an assistant coach.

As long as Vandy fans don't come here and "demand respect", the game will be great, and we'll be happy!!!!!
grin.gif

..and lets not forget to answer all their questions like good little wieners.

Lets try a little of everything and don't stick to a play if it happens to work the first time. CG will defense it pretty darn quick. All in all hope it's a good game and Tech wins 42-7 (maybe 10)

bash.gif

Golden T., good point about Coach Johnson. I almost pointed it out, too. I was one of the one's that mentioned GSU yesterday but it was in reference to the Hamm-bone. The reason for mentioning it was that Furman was one of the few teams that could hang with the Eagles. Most teams employed the triple option because GSU had so much success with it.

BTW, how well do you think GSU's Johnson will do at Navy? I think it sets up well for him because he ran this type of offense at GSU and due to the Navy's recruits, that is the type of O that they run. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat the success up there though. I always felt he inherited success from what Erk built and he didn't really take the program to a new level. JMO.

One point I want to clarify. Tenuta was coaching at North Carolina. We have Robbie Caldwell (OL Coach) and Jamie Bryant (Secondary Coach) from that same North Carolina staff last year. Although we don't necessarily KNOW what to expect. Both these coaches will have some ideas about how Tenuta runs things.

Back