After reading the AJC this morning...

MoverofFridge2

Helluva Engineer
I see where Dave Braine(less) made the comment that he was upset in how the bowl decisions came down.

If he is SO upset then why didn't he fight for our SA's. I do not care what he has to say we got dumped in the bowls b/c HE did not stand up for our kids and our program.

The article mentioned how UVA had sent in correspondence selling their program. Did Dave do that? My bet is he took it for granted and when we got snubbed, he made is commnets.

BC and us took a major screwing in the selection process as far as I am concerned.

This is ALL on Braines shoulders for letting this happen.

And more obvious is the selection of Bowls Games where Tech can beat the opponent at the expense of solid National media exposure against a big programs during prime time. Think small be small best defines Braine's reign at GT. And he continues to deny responsibility for "poor preparation" and shoddy public relations skills on this assignment too.

Can you imagine what his record would be as a Head Football Coach? He'd blame the peanut vendors and the security guards for his thoughtless inadequate game plans.

You think our NCAA probation contributed to our being ignored at Music City? It certainly did not help us in my opinion.

Before the "Braine not fighting for us..." theory, to me it boils down to who wants to watch a low-scoring boring offense. Those who make the decisions know what we are and who will want to watch.

That matters a little but they could also push next year's Heisman candidate in CJ.

I think Braine's lame duck status hurt us, but I also think that we were working three different bowls while UVA was working one.

Heisman Candiate???

as great and worthy as he is, he'll never be a candidate - to many other factors holding him back at GT.

[ QUOTE ]
The Virginia athletics department sent the Music City a marketing program that included newspaper, TV and radio ads, a postcard mailing to season-ticket holders, an e-mail campaign and a dedicated bowl Web site. But it wasn't just the athletics department that made an impression, Ramsey said. Several hundred Virginia fans e-mailed and called the Music City expressing their enthusiasm about the possibility of coming to Nashville.

Georgia Tech athletics director Dave Braine wasn't buying Ramsey's explanation.

"We have the Web sites, and we have the postcards, and we have everything else," Braine said. "It comes down to one school outbidding another school. When you have a 7-4 record which is better than Virginia's, and when you have a 5-3 conference record which is better than Virginia's, you shouldn't have to buy a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, according to DB, he at least tried.

And bizzybee, please shut up and go follow the WAC if you hate boring offenses. By the way, our boring offense outgained NC State by over 100 yards and had 14 more first downs, but they're in Charlotte while we're in the fruit bowl. I'm real sure our offense was that much more boring than theirs.

Bizzy .. I hate to disagree with you but please dont call our offense boring. You never know what to expect next

LOL!! That's true! Very unpredictable...can we complete a pass to CJ or not? That does keep things interesting. LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Before the "Braine not fighting for us..." theory, to me it boils down to who wants to watch a low-scoring boring offense. Those who make the decisions know what we are and who will want to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's Alabama playing in their bowl game? Last I checked they weren't "exciting".

The Bama comparison doesn't make any sense. They were 9-2, thats a whole different beast than 7-4. I'm amazed at how much we're building up a 7 win season like its something special, its not, its alright, but its not good. With 7 wins, you do not control your own destiny and the winds of fate blew us out West. We got screwed, no doubt, but that problem can be taken care of with a win over NCSU or the Mutts, or UVA for that matter, but they've got our number. 8-3 or better, you dictate, 7-4 you get di*#ed, thats the way it goes for us and its probably not going to change anytime soon with the way bowls are stacked agianst us.

[ QUOTE ]
The Bama comparison doesn't make any sense. They were 9-2, thats a whole different beast than 7-4. I'm amazed at how much we're building up a 7 win season like its something special, its not, its alright, but its not good. With 7 wins, you do not control your own destiny and the winds of fate blew us out West. We got screwed, no doubt, but that problem can be taken care of with a win over NCSU or the Mutts. 8-3, you dictate, 7-4 you get di*#ed, thats the way it goes for us and its probably not going to change anytime soon with the way bowls are stacked agianst us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it does, considering people are saying that it is soleley the fault of our "boring offense" that we are going to the Emerald City bowl.

BTW, what was Boston College's record again? Did they "dictate" themselves to Boise?

I meant the 8-3 applies to us, and how bowls feel about GT.

The excitement is a lame excuse, we've put up more points in our bowl games the last two years than anyone else, outside of maybe the Holiday bowl and the insanity that it is. 7-4 does not look great, and all the conference teams we lost to got better than us. It sucks that records mean nothing, but perception is reality, and we've got a lot of baggage at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
It sucks that records mean nothing, but perception is reality, and we've got a lot of baggage at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, exactly, is that perception?

The only perception that counts in this is selling tickets. The bowls evidently don't care about rankings, records, marque players, tradition, anything else...it's how many tickets they think a school will sell.

The perception is that we don't travel well, which is largely because we havent been given the chance in the last 5 years, and because of Y2K gator bowl numbers where Miami decided not to show up (as usual unless its a BCS game).

Also, in fairness, a lot of our fans suck. They don't buy season tickets because they may not go to a couple games, so they'll get to the game about 30 minutes before kickoff on marta, wait until after kickoff and get cheap tickets from a scalper. We're also quick to turn on the players, coaches, program, and theres a hell of a lot of discord right now within the fanbase. Though, likely this is because of the the almost cultlike loyalty that GT puts into her students and we cannot bear to see anything tarnish our beloved institute.

We were however, pretty fired up after the Miami win, and taking it to the Mutts, though a painful loss, would have given us a great bowl attendance this year.

[ QUOTE ]
The only perception that counts in this is selling tickets. The bowls evidently don't care about rankings, records, marque players, tradition, anything else...it's how many tickets they think a school will sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, unless we speak out, we'll be stuck in this loop of the western bowls.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What other reason do you think a community chooses to host a bowl game? They are in it for the economic impact, no other reason. They will always try to get the teams that they believe will bring the most $$$$ to their communities.

Rightly or wrongly, we are perceived as not bringing many people. We need to recognize that we must market ourselves agressively to potential bowls. Other schools are doing it. That is the reason Music City gave for chosing Virginia. Unfortunately the people marketing us are the same ones that brought us the chairbacks...

The question to those communities and bowl committees is whether they want to try it without an ACC tie-in? How many tickets would Charlotte sell if there was no ACC team? Maybe some years their ticket sales are down somewhat, but in the long run is it better to not have a game?

The other thing it says is they know no one wants to come to their town. Be it Charlotte or Nashville, they're saying they can't sell tickets locally and they aren't a desired destination. Kind of a strange approach for a local committee to take IMO.

Once again,...Too many field trip bowl games... Supply has vastly exceeded demand.

Exactly when did it happen that a barely winning season went from.."OK, we'll gettum next year" to "We better get a good bowl invite". ?

Our 7-4 is obviously better than all 6-5s, but until we get back to needing 8 wins out of 11, it will be about powerpoint presentations and $$ promises to 2nd and 3rd tier games that are in over their heads.

Back