After seeing the player film snippets last night, I am glad we got Moore

TIARB

Varsity Lurker
IMO (worthless though it may be), Nick was 1 of the 3 guys that really jumped out at you on the film shown at the banquet last night.

They previewed about 8 plays on Moore, and he looks to hit as hard as anyone we've had at LB since Brooking.

Nick looked like he had very good speed (ran down a qb from behind), very good instincts, and he was hitting perhaps harder than I have ever seen in HS film.

Granted, I think most of the film was on turf.

Other 2 that really impressed me were Anaoi (good LB speed in a DE's body - hard hitter as well), and Grant (5 or 6 clips of him hitting it up the middle between the tackles and just running away from everyone. Much more between the tackles than I thought, and he looks very "Miami Hurricane-ish" as an RB - low to the ground, big frame, very fast).

Now that sounds like some FB players. We have a few that it seemed our coaches may have reached for. {I wouldn't name them because as long as they wear a Jacket uniform I will support them} But on the whole I am much more pleased with this group than I thought I would a few short weeks ago. If we will remember that Bobby Ross's first real recruiting class consisted of two gritty QB's
by the names of Jeff Howard and Sean Jones with Bobby Rodriguez and Emmitt Merchant to catch the ball.But where I see the most similarities is in the big linemen. I thought that Ross signed more of them but they are they are cut out of the same mold. We signed Kevin Battle a big Nose tackle and others similar to him that were not high school all american but very good FB players. We have the newberry kid and the Wrotto kid that I think will help us regardless of what side of theline he plays. I have read some very good articles about Oliver and Anoai and they should help us big time. We got 2 big time DB's and another couple that could possibly help us as well. But the one position that has me excited is
the three athletic QB's. If BOB doesn't develop a QB from this bunch he should be shipped out. I was hoping that we would sign a couple of TE's but it is my understanding that Johnson will be moved from FB to tight end so we may be in better shape than we think. And then we come back to Mr. Grant and from all that I can read he is the real deal. If he and Hollings are both healthy we could have a fine running game. AND THEN THERE IS COACHING?

Thanx for the feedback guys, I was unable to come up yesterday due to family obligations; 5 Feb'04 has already been blocked out on the calendar!

Looks like we are in a lot better shape than we thought we would be!

blue.gif
drinking.gif
blue.gif
drinking.gif

Agree with you on those players TIAR,B. Oliver in my opinion stuck out as well. Most of his clips were him playing RB. He's a big guy that can motor!

Something common with these guys which you'd look for at that level is them running down guys and running away from guys with break away speed. There was a lot of athletism and speed.

Then with the lineman the power, size, and speed. Newburry showed some unreal quickness at point of attack for a VERY BIG MAN. The lineman have great range and can move.

Will be interesting to see how Anoai grows. He comes from a big family.

Okay...who loved the stiff-arm by Oliver on that
one running clip?

The thing I liked most about the linemen clips
was the fact that they were very active and were
often down field continuing to block as the play
developed. I seem to remember #76 (Rhodes?) on
his knees, 5 yards out ahead of the RB, continuing
to block after he got tripped up by a defender.

CJ - loved the stiff-arm by Oliver, and he obviously looked very athletic for a big guy. But almost all the clips of him were at RB - for me, it's much harder to see them in a different position and project, so I like to see them at the position they'll be playing. (KS's film was similar - almost all at RB).

You are right about the OL prospects - they can all absolutely move. That is one of the reasons I don't think Wrotto will wind up on the OL - he doesn't seem to have near the "pulling" ability of the other OL signess, but seems an ideal NT in a scheme designed for quick LBs (like ours).

TIAR,B...

Didn't they say Oliver has put on some weight (20 lbs)
since we first offered? The kid is growing like a
weed if so. He could be a great athletic rush end
for us.

Back