After thinking a day...

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
We played sloppy, but it wasn't as bad as I originally thought.

1) Our rushing offense looked pretty good - better than our previous 1st games. SC St. did a good job stopping the BBack, but we did a good job taking what they gave us. Nesbitt did a great job reading the defense.

2) Our passing offense looked terrible. Nesbitt has a strong arm, but he was just off yesterday. There were probably some bad routes being run too. Melton certainly changed a completion into an interception for Nesbitt (probably the best ball JN threw all day).

3) Overall offense: I think PJ ran vanilla plays on purpose. He didn't have to show any cards for future teams, and therefore, he didn't. Even with the vanilla plays, we should've scored at least 7 more points.

4) Defense: We looked like last year the first 2 drives then settled down and made adjustments. Thank the Lord we have a DC that can make adjustments during a game instead of PJ making them at the half. We won't be dominant, but we'll continue getting better as the year progresses.

5) Upcoming Opponents: We should absolutely destroy Kansas, but I was impressed with UNC's effort against LSU. That's going to be a tough game.

i agree with the assessment of UNC. they really fought back, and they have an idle week. it'll be interesting to see if the miami effect plays in this year with having getting the extra week to prepare for the TO so early in the season.

that said i think we win by 2 scores.

i agree with the assessment of UNC. they really fought back, and they have an idle week. it'll be interesting to see if the miami effect plays in this year with having getting the extra week to prepare for the TO so early in the season.

that said i think we win by 2 scores.

If they lose the ball within 3 plays of their first two possessions, it could get really, really ugly for them. :fingersx:

We also left a easy passing TD on the ground, Tevin overthrew a completely open Roddy Jones in 4th Q.

I largely agree with the original post. I've re-watched the game, and the "sloppy" is still the largest impression. At our best, our O looks like the football version of balet. It didn't look like that often yesterday.

That said, UNC and LSU both looked really good. If UNC's second team can play as fast as they did, we will have to play more crisply. I think we will, but I wonder what would happen if we ever went to chicken kick-off or scheduled a big opening game.

You thought UNC and LSU looked good? What game were you watching? Turnovers galore, UNC's crappy special teams, LSU has a terrible QB, LSU went prevent half way through the 4th quarter, uNC's offense still sucks with zero running game, and UNC's Oline got pushed around the entire game.

Neither one of those teams looked good. It was a very sloppy game on both accounts.

You thought UNC and LSU looked good? What game were you watching? Turnovers galore, UNC's crappy special teams, LSU has a terrible QB, LSU went prevent half way through the 4th quarter, uNC's offense still sucks with zero running game, and UNC's Oline got pushed around the entire game.

Neither one of those teams looked good. It was a very sloppy game on both accounts.

That is the same qb that played lights out against us in the chicken bowl...

Agree almost 100% with the OP, though I'm still worried that the D has the potential to be awful. The D-line looked pretty bad at first, but it was nice to see the quick adjustments. Looking forward to seeing how they do against the first decent I-A offense we face (NC State, maybe?).

I curious to see what the DBs do against TJ Yates and those receivers. Looked good against LSU, but that's LSU ...

Thank the Lord we have a DC that can make adjustments during a game instead of PJ making them at the half. We won't be dominant, but we'll continue getting better as the year progresses.

IIRC SCSt started the game 3/5 on 3rd down. They finished 1/9 on 3rd down.

For the crap UNC has been through, they played well. LSU is not a walk in the park. They have a punk ass coach, but they also have athletes. I'm concerned about UNC.

When it comes to UNC I'm not sure what to expect. Having a game where you get hope of a comeback victory then fall short can really disappoint. Not all teams react the same way in these situations. In 2008 we lost a critical ACC road game at UNC and had an off week before Miami. We curb-stomped them. In 2009 Virginia Tech lost a critical ACC road game at us and had a week off before UNC. They came out flat and lost off of a silly mistake to a team that at that point was winless in the ACC.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I realize and expected that we'd keep it vanilla but I don't think we even did a good job with vanilla.

We are too over-reliant on Nesbitt's legs and we can't depend on his arm.

On D, I could be wrong - but it looked to me that our D Line could only get past their OL by stunting. I saw several plays where the OL just tossed our guy on the ground. If we can't do better than that, we can forget about VT, Miami and UGa.

And I was expecting much more dimension to our offense but instead I saw less save the one wrinkle on the 'rollout reverse'.

I don't want to overstate it but I didn't see much that was good and quite a few things that were not so good.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I realize and expected that we'd keep it vanilla but I don't think we even did a good job with vanilla.

We are too over-reliant on Nesbitt's legs and we can't depend on his arm.

On D, I could be wrong - but it looked to me that our D Line could only get past their OL by stunting. I saw several plays where the OL just tossed our guy on the ground. If we can't do better than that, we can forget about VT, Miami and UGa.

And I was expecting much more dimension to our offense but instead I saw less save the one wrinkle on the 'rollout reverse'.

I don't want to overstate it but I didn't see much that was good and quite a few things that were not so good.

I feel like SCState had the interior line on D to keep Anthony Allen out of the game. Other teams will fare differently. That's the beauty of our offense - it exploits weaknesses. The beauty of CPJ is that he's able to recognize those weaknesses and make adjustments on the fly. As we start finding our rhythm (by game 3, I hope), he'll be able to pull out more aspects of the offense to utilize. I fully expect the shotgun and a shorter passing attack to be a part of that. But, he's not going to just start calling plays because the fans want to see them.

I feel like SCState had the interior line on D to keep Anthony Allen out of the game. Other teams will fare differently. That's the beauty of out offense - it exploits weaknesses. The beauty of CPJ is that he's able to recognize those weaknesses and make adjustments on the fly. As we start finding our rhythm (by game 3, I hope), he'll be able to pull out more aspects of the offense to utilize. I fully expect the shotgun and a shorter passing attack to be a part of that. But, he's not going to just start calling plays because the fans want to see them.

I think Anthony Allen's going to have a big day against Kansas. Well, everyone pretty much will, from what it's sounding like, but AA is hungry for yards.

I think Anthony Allen's going to have a big day against Kansas. Well, everyone pretty much will, from what it's sounding like, but AA is hungry for yards.

Kansas is just awful. We can probably use the exact same game plan and walk out of there with a W.

UNC, however, is another story. We are going to have some issues in that one.

Kansas is just awful. We can probably use the exact same game plan and walk out of there with a W.

UNC, however, is another story. We are going to have some issues in that one.

Sturdivant is going to give me a serious headache.

Personally, I am encouraged with the game, both the offense and defense.

Even though we were sloppy in places on the offense, it was evident that we could easily run on them, which means the offensive line was functioning better than last year.

The defense adjusted, during the game, which is a huge bonus. Also, we had a least two punts by the opposition, which is also an inprovement.

It is important to remember that this is a new defensive alignment and new to the players. I believe the second game will see an improvement in correcting some of the mistakes.

Father Time

I feel like SCState had the interior line on D to keep Anthony Allen out of the game.

To keep Anthony Allen out of the game, all the other team has to do is crash on the dive play every single play, at least when we are running triple option. If AA's game was a result of SCStates D line he would of had a lower ypc. As it is he got over 4 ypc, which is about normal for us for a B-back.

This might go hand in hand with the idea we kept the offense very vanilla in the game, rarely running plays outside the basic triple option.

Back