All about perspective...

GoGATech

Big Dummy
We've surely had some highs and lows already in the first half of the season, and there are some folks seemingly already chalking this season up as a failure. Let's back up though, and think to what our realistic expectations were at the beginning of the year. I'd really like to think that if I told you this scenario would happen before the season started, most all of you would say, "sign me up!"

So if I told you before the season that through our first 6 games against:

NIU
Kennesaw
Clemson
UNC
Pitt
Duke

that we would be 3-3 with two blowout wins, one win by 4, one blowout loss, and two more losses by 6 and 1, what would you have said then?

I would have assumed Clemson UNC and Pitt as those losses, and made fart noises at the idea of beating NIU, Kennesaw and Duke. When people talked about us going 3-9 or whatever, those were the three.

I'm very pleased to have beaten UNC, baffled by NIU, but otherwise meh. I was excited to keep Clemson so close at the time, but the gold paint has peeled off that one in the recent weeks.

I don't think the season is a failure yet. But uh, it's not yet a success either.

We've surely had some highs and lows already in the first half of the season, and there are some folks seemingly already chalking this season up as a failure. Let's back up though, and think to what our realistic expectations were at the beginning of the year. I'd really like to think that if I told you this scenario would happen before the season started, most all of you would say, "sign me up!"

NIU
Kennesaw
Clemson
UNC
Pitt
Duke

that we would be 3-3 with two blowout wins, one win by 4, one blowout loss, and two more losses by 6 and 1, what would you have said then?
I would have agreed with you, but I would have thought the Blowout wins would have been over NIU, KSU and the BlowOut Loss would come from Clemson, win by 4 would have been over Duke and we would have loss to UNC by 6 and Pitt by 1.

3-3 is great however I am concerned becuase it appears that Clemson is a Dumpster Fire and UNC was waaaayy over-rated I can see UNC finishing 6-6... Duke looks to be horrible and they way UVA shut them out hs me worried that the coaching staff does not habe the pulse of teh team, Coach Collisn before the season started thought he was ready for a Bowl Game.... We might not win another game this season... Something is just not right with the Coaching staff.

I think I probably had us 4-2 in the prediction contest because I had talked myself into thinking we could beat Pitt. But I'd probably say at 3-3, we are on schedule. I am not as concerned about the NIU game as many are. I will be sick if it keeps us out of a bowl when it's all said and done, but I don't think it's indicative of where we are. If the 2 point conversion is ruled no catch on the field, it probably stands and everyone just considers it first game jitters.

Will be thrilled with a 3-3 finish and okay with 2-4. Disappointed with anything less.

Last edited:
The loss to NIU is inexcusable and is a black eye to our staff. Just being honest about it.

Our offense put up more points on Clemson then the dwags did - that was very encouraging.

The win over UNC was incredible - still UNC's worst loss of the season.

The Duke game showed a lot of guts and toughness. I needed to see that.

The Pitt game - no way we could have beaten Pitt but the score was unacceptable. Our secondary can't be that bad or unprepared.

My takeaway at this point is that the high-water mark for what we are capable of is much higher than I thought it would be - that is encouraging. But laying 2 eggs in 6 games and taking a nap for half of the Duke game is infuriating.

NIU
Kennesaw
Clemson
UNC
Pitt
Duke

With all the juice, I thought we’d be 5-1 after those 6 games. I didn’t understand everyone’s belief/expectations of only 6 wins while at the same time saying our roster was fantastic.

NIU
Kennesaw
Clemson
UNC
Pitt
Duke

The context of the wins and losses matter, and it is an error to assert otherwise.

I would have assumed Clemson UNC and Pitt as those losses, and made fart noises at the idea of beating NIU, Kennesaw and Duke. When people talked about us going 3-9 or whatever, those were the three.

I'm very pleased to have beaten UNC, baffled by NIU, but otherwise meh. I was excited to keep Clemson so close at the time, but the gold paint has peeled off that one in the recent weeks.

I don't think the season is a failure yet. But uh, it's not yet a success either.
100% agree it's not a success yet, but I know there are some out there already labeling it as a failure.

Side note, we will never know, but after seeing Jeff start slow twice now and then turn it around (one producing a final drive comeback win), he could've very well finished out the NIU game strong and won had he not gotten hurt. And no telling against Clemson either. I mean it's very possible that we are "Jeff Sims getting hurt" away from being 5-1 right now.

Yea. If we are 4-2 everyone is rock hard about where the program is.
So what if absolutely nothing changed about how we played in any games so far, but the officials called the NIU 2pt incomplete after review. You saying that with absolutely no difference to anything "we" did, the staff would be better in folks' eyes and everyone would be excited because we're 4-2?

With all the juice, I thought we’d be 5-1 after those 6 games. I didn’t understand everyone’s belief/expectations of only 6 wins while at the same time saying our roster was fantastic.
Stop being a dumbass. No way you thought we'd be 5-1

So what if absolutely nothing changed about how we played in any games so far, but the officials called the NIU 2pt incomplete after review. You saying that with absolutely no difference to anything "we" did, the staff would be better in folks' eyes and everyone would be excited because we're 4-2?
Good point. And honestly, because we are emotional and forget probably.

We were close to losing to southern in 2014. Now it’s an afterthought. But imagine if we had lost…

Did he assert otherwise? Ultimately, we won one we weren't supposed to and lost one we weren't supposed to.

I am not sure what to think of the NIU loss. CGC has a track record of playing a poor game early against a lesser opponent, both here and at Temple. We should get used to that, like VT used to do with Beamer. If that is the case, we might be closer to the CGC norm than it appears.

Yes, people would be more excited. That’s sports.

The NIU loss was another epic program embarrassment that our children and grandchildren will talk about for generations to come.
Still too early to decide if year 3 is improvement or tolerable.
If Collins gets to 6 wins ,i'm ok with him for another season.Even then,i expect staff changes.
If we don't win six it's fine with me if TStan decides to cut bait and move on.
No,i don't think TStan would do it.

Stop being a dumbass. No way you thought we'd be 5-1
6-0? Do you not recall the juice being passed around this joint from January thru August? I was afraid the ATF was gonna lock us down.

Yes. We over react emotionally based on the final result of games which often come down to one random outcome of a single play

- Everyone would feel better if the NIU kid dropped the ball
- This place would be a total dumpster fire if Duke’s tipped pass ricochets to a WR instead of Juanyeh Thomas
- a few years ago we melted down when a Miami WR caught a tipped ball on fourth and long to beat us in Miami
-PJ would be viewed differently if Qua threw the ball against UGA on the goal line, instead of cutting back to run; or if the wind blew 2 mph in on butker’s kick
-Chan would be viewed different had we gotten luck at the end vs UGA in 04-06 when we lost by 6,6, and 3 points; or even in 07 when the ball bounced the other way 9/10 times
-we beat fsu on a fumble on the .5 yard line and a blocked FG; both are a millimeter from being losses
- we beat Ga Southern because their guy had an unforced fumble

So yea. The result of a single play can greatly impact how fans feel, a team feels, and even if a coach gets paid/fired

Back