Am I missing something?

mm42

Dodd-Like
I have watched 1 Clemson game (UGAg) and 2 Tech games, I have read up on both teams through every available source, I have read analyses and predictions on both GT boards and I have read a LOT of smack talk on Clemson's board.

In all of this there is one thing which is glaringly obvious to me which I have not seen written down: Clemson's offense stinks.

I don't mean their offense is mediocre or has some kinks to work out or anything like that, I mean IT STINKS!

They did very little against UGAg, and they struggled mightily against a La. Tech defense that Okie State throttled. Two of Clemson's TD's against La. Tech were short field jobs (6 yards and 17 yards) after a blocked punt and an interception. So they basically managed one legit TD drive the whole game.

Now our offense is not going to smoke like in the two warmup games we'vew played, but they won't have to.

I think the Clemson defense is improved and quite strong, but so is ours. Our offense will not be in top form Saturday, but it won't stink either.

And don't get me started on the difference in special teams ...

We have been on the verge of dominating CU in each of the last 3 years, but something has gone awry each time (2001 defenders dropped like flies, 2000 special teams blunders, 1999 Streeter went down and our D was totally unprepared for Dantzler). Surely this will be the year the domination finally works out.

I think you're reading too much into two games, against a total of one good team.

We really don't know how good Georgia is. We know LaTech isn't that bad. I know the Clemson folks make fun of our opponents, but UConn and Vandy both looked very good in their one other game each.

Perhaps UConn and Vandy are not so bad and we are just that good. Perhaps Georgia is a very good team and Clemson is just as good. It's hard to say.

Yes, their offense really has stunk. I completely agree. 200 yards on Georgia and under 300 on LaTech (not exactly a defensive powerhouse) is not very good. They haven't run the ball all that well either.

But it is very unlikely that they won't put up some 400 yard games sooner or later. I hope it isn't against us.

On offense I think we are better than Clemson at RB, at least equal at QB, and so far we look better at WR but let's call it equal.

But I think their D has played very well. They played better teams than we did, and posted very impressive defensive showings at least in total yardage.

I am worried about one thing in particular this week. That thing is pass coverage. I didn't see the UConn game because I was in the midwest, but I feel that we left a lot of Vandy receivers open in the flats, on short crossing patterns and posts and that kind of thing. We didn't get burned for it because Vandy's QB play sucked. Willie Simmons is a good bit better than Vandy's QB.

We will have to have better coverage on Clemson or they could really take advantage of our secondary.

Otherwise I think we have a good chance of beating them. We have to play well. It wouldn't hurt to get a couple of bounces our way. If we have a low scoring dogfight then one mistake at the end will cost the team that makes it the game.

Originally posted by GoldenTornado:
I am worried about one thing in particular this week. That thing is pass coverage. I didn't see the UConn game because I was in the midwest, but I feel that we left a lot of Vandy receivers open in the flats, on short crossing patterns and posts and that kind of thing. We didn't get burned for it because Vandy's QB play sucked. Willie Simmons is a good bit better than Vandy's QB.

We will have to have better coverage on Clemson or they could really take advantage of our secondary.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Some good thoughts Tornado. The other side of this coin is the rush. Gathers and Hargrove must get in Simmons grill early and often. We can not have this 4 man soft rush thing like the other games. If it takes mixing some corner and safety blitzes, then so be it. If we sit back and try to just cover, Simmons can pick us apart. Their receivers are much bigger than our secondary and that goes to their advantage. But our DL should be better than their OL and we need to exploit that matchup on defense.

Some points on Clemson's Defense:

They rushed 35 times for 87 yards agast LaT.
Take away Willie's stats, and you have 28 times for 97 yards. This indicates that their rush may be marginal at best.

Willie had 6 attempts for -8 yards. This includes 3 sacks. 3 sacks by LaT gives me hope for our Defense as well as the lack of a run threat by Simmons. Woody singlehandedly beat us by running last year.

Passing:
Willie was 25 for 43. This is somewhat misleading because the receivers dropped a few passes.

They had 4 receivers with 2 or more receptions.
They had 10 different people catch a pass.
Their average per reception was 10.3 yards.

Needless to say, their passing game against our secondary is what scares me the most. Vandy had open receivers and I can't get the TE from UConn that missed the wide open pass behind our defenders out of my head.

On Defense, the stats show that Clemson had only 1 sack. Of course they held LaT main RB to 69 yards on 19 rushes. The longest run was 12 yards.

My question is, "Can they hold Hollings to this?"

If yes, then we will have a long day. IF we keep them from making us 1 dimensional and Hollings is the real deal, then we will make it look easy.

I also find it interesting that until 07:39 left in the 3rd quarter, LaT was really in the game with the score 17-13. Even at this point it was 20-13.

It looks to me that LaT just got wore down by Clemson. Can Clemson wear us down the same way? I don't think so because we have pretty good depth at every position.

Clemson took the opening KO down the field mainly behind the arm of Willie's passing.

Willie never threw an incomplete pass until after his first sack of the game. The next 6 attempts were incomplete, mixed with another sack in there.

We need to get to Willie early and rattle his cage!!

I say, Gathers, Smith, Hargrove, and Co. need to get to Willie early and rattle his cage!!

Damn Buzz4Him, nice analysis.

There is one thing that I'm reminded of that gives me hope. NO WOODY DANTZLER!!!!

That guy ripped us to shreads every time. In '99 Streeter went down and we were up 21. We sqeaked by 45-42 (I believe). In '00 Clemson had a nice lead and Woody left the game. Simmons couldn't keep up and Goose hit Watkins for 'The Catch'. In '01 D. Smith went down and Woody shreadded us again.

So, Clemson with drop back QB (Streeter, Simmons) = good for GT. Clemson with Woody = bad for GT.

I'm liking our chances even better.

C

Willie was very spotty against UGA. He had about 2 or 3 TD passes that were just flat-out dropped. But there were also 4 or 5 passes that he just threw up for grabs that could have easily been intercepted (1 was intercepted). When he felt the heat, he just heaved it.

He does have a strong arm though. I hope we don't let those guys get behind us.

This game is so hard to figure out.

Back