Analysis of the replay (LONG AND DETAILED)

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
This is only the first half. (And btw I'm bored):

1st quarter In the first two offensive series where we went three and out, I have seen one key missed block by the oline. It was by AJ Smith on the pass play where Nesbitt got hit on the throw and it landed incomplete.

The oline looks to be firing out ok and making contact but not locking down the defenders. The bigger problem I see is in the first two series, and I am no expert but I do have slow motion :fingersx: Nesbitt appears to have missed 3 reads. Twice they seemed to be bad misreads. One he kept the ball where Dwyer had the middle of the field, and once where he gave it to Dwyer and the edge and option to Roddy was wide open to the house.

It took me a few rewinds to really understand why the defensive end is left unblocked most of the time. But once you see the lineman crashing the linebackers it makes a lot of sense. Nesbitt is supposed to read the DE and choose the best option

The INT by Reese is really spectacular and one hell of an athletic play (especially in slow motion). Reese needs to be returning punts in my opinion. His vision to see the blockers is great.

Sedric Griffin in the replays is just 5'11" of complete havoc! He is the best linebacker we have. When a guy that size is pushing Olineman twice his size off the ball, that is just a sick display of talent. He is just absolutely fierce. He is in on almost every play in the first 3 series.

The one run by Lucas Cox was the perfect read of the option.

Roddy Jones missed a block on the very first, first down run by Dwyer. Very next play, Nesbitt appears to make the wrong read and pitches to Roddy over handing off to Dwyer.

Next play Nesbitt appears to not run the option at full speed which allowed him to get caught in the backfield for a loss. The blocks seemed to be there. On the option keeper, Nesbitt needs to learn to get to the corner quick!! On 3rd and 7 both Voss and AJ Smith miss their blocks. AJ is asked to pull and he just isn't that fast and doesn't get to the defender in time. We miss a field goal attempt

Our Corners play VERY TIGHT coverage.

2nd quarter:
On 3rd down and 4 , Voss completely misses his block and allows the play to be blown up in the backfield. It was the difference between a 1st down and punting.

Hall had a play on Harper but fails to get his hands up. Could have been flagged for lowering the head on the QB. Harper completes his pass for 8 yards as a result. Morgan Burnett shows his studliness and blows up the screen on the next play.

Nesbitt on the option keeper makes a perfect read on 1st down. Cox wasn't even an option because he can't keep up with Nesbitt. :laugher: Two plays later, we fumble. It looks like Nesbitt and Dwyer are having a hard time on the hand off. Nesbitt looks like he couldn't completely commit to giving the ball to Dwyer. This is probably a result of being rusty.

Clemson fumbles right back to us. Reese looks like he made the hit that caused the ball to come loose.

The next play for our offense really shows how a missed block can kill this offense. AJ SMith badly misses his block and trips up Gardner who doesn't make his block. AJ's missed block causes a pulling Cord Howard to have to hit AJ's man instead of his own and Nesbitt all bottled up has no where to go and gets sacked in the backfield.

2nd down, almost EXACTLY the same result. AJ Smith misses a block, causing Gardner to take a bad angle and miss his block. Cord Howard pulls and bottles up the play by having to take on AJ's defender who is now in our backfield. Result, Nesbitt stuck in the backfield again. Penalty gives us a redo.

Cox badly misses his block on 2nd and 12. 3 and 5, Nesbitt throws to high to Debo and as a result he can't make the first down on the screen. It didn't help that Nesbitt was pressured because Cord Howard didn't block his man. NExt play Cox loses his footing and we don't get the 1st.

Clemson scores a field goal

Next series, Gilbert and Voss both miss the same man (Christ! We can't even double team a guy) and he sacks Nesbitt. 2nd and 19... looks like a pass play that Nesbitt gives up on and starts running for a 3 yard gain. Dwyer takes off to the races for a 1st down. Nesbitt could have kept the ball on this play and had the same result FWIW. Nesbitt drops back with great blocking and makes the perfect call to throw to Roddy. 1st down.Dwyer picks up yardage on the next play. Nesbitt with the QB keeper up the middle follows Voss is just throws his body around without touching anyone. Nesbitt makes a bad read and could have pitched to Cox for a TD. Nesbitt executes perfectly to call his own number and score.

Very good analysis, and I agree with virtually all you points.

About this:

It took me a few rewinds to really understand why the defensive end is left unblocked most of the time. But once you see the lineman crashing the linebackers it makes a lot of sense. Nesbitt is supposed to read the DE and choose the best option.

Isn't that (leaving the DE unblocked and reading off him) one of the primary reads in the TO?

Just wondering...Mike

p.s. it WAS Reese that caused that fumble -- kid had a heck of a game.

Very good analysis, and I agree with virtually all you points.

About this:

Isn't that (leaving the DE unblocked and reading off him) one of the primary reads in the TO?

Just wondering...Mike

p.s. it WAS Reese that caused that fumble -- kid had a heck of a game.

Yes it is. I said this not as a "I don't understand" comment, but more as a "Its really interesting to fully understand the left alone DE and the read the QB makes.

Ah ha, thanks for the explanation....

I'm not -- by any stretch of the imagination -- an expert on the TO, but I have to believe that QB reads are the most challenging part of this offense. They have to be made virtually instantaneously and any error (as we've seen) can mean a blow-up play or even worse, a turnover.

That said, I can see Josh's ability to read things getting better so far. He's come quite a ways from our first scrimage to today.

I can't think of exactly when the play was, but there was a clear mistake made by one of our O-linemen (please don't get started again :) ), resulting in a man in Josh's face virtually instantly. He had the pitch open, but instead decided to just take the hit rather than pitch the ball -- I remember thinking that's a play that earlier in the year would have led to a bad pitch and a turnover.

Take care...Mike

That's the outside veer.

Interesting to see you say many of the problems were reads, BOR.

There is one play that consistently killed us in the first half. Its whatever play that calls for the backside guard to pull. AJ Smith isn't fast enough to pull this off and when Cord Howard was pulling, AJ misses his blocks twice and Cord ends up as a blockade in the backfield trying to block AJ's defender. There were 4 plays I counted for negative yardage where a backside guard either didn't block or caused the play to fail because the other guard and center didn't block. This is something that definitely needs work. You can see how the play is designed and it is imperative to be able to call it. Why? You can see PJ wanting to go to this play when Clemson appears to be selling out on a side. Its slight misdirection and we could have huge gains if our freakin guards and center could make the plays.

Great analysis BoR.

For those who haven't done so, if youreally want to get a feel for this offense (or nearly any offense for that matter) a tivo with slow mo really helps. The blocking schemes and reads folks have to make are very interesting. Almost as interresting as the great view of Denali that i have right now, but, it's below zero so for now it's internet with a view and a slow mo replay.

Some of the plays that look like option are called plays. Most likely, the plays early in the game were called to let Nesbitt get his feet wet. As fans, we have no idea which were called and which were double option and which were triple option.

The interior OL is killing us, however.

Back