Analysis of the replay

Wow, took a look at some of the plays that we ran and the biggest thing I see is in a lot of defensive formations, at least one CB is lined up like an extreme OLB. They usually stand about 3 yards from the WR but diagonally inside toward the middle of the field and they aren't even looking at the WRs.

A few quick out route passes would have opened a lot of running room to the outside.

Last edited:
Wow, took a look at some of the plays that we ran and the biggest thing I see is in a lot of defensive formations, at least one CB is lined up like an extreme OLB. They usually stand about 3 yards from the WR but diagonally inside toward the middle of the field and they aren't even looking at the WRs.

A few quick slant passes would have opened a lot of running room to the outside.

I noticed that as well. The corner lined up a good yard and a half to two yards inside of the WR, and looked at the QB before the snap. We could have thrown fades all day, but PJ wanted to run the base offense it seems.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a play in the 3rd or 4th quarter when Peeples slipped and fell on his route, resulting in an incompletion for Nesbitt?

It also looked at real time like Peeples underestimated that one pass in the first quarter.

I think that the offense will be fine. Everytime we passed there were lots of open receivers. Takeaway the drops by Allen and Thomas and Nesbitt's stats start looking really good. If Peeples hadn't stopped running, he likely would have caught the pass and scored. Jax St. was overloading the pitch every play. We could have run a reverse and killed them on most plays, but I don't think we wanted to get to crazy with the play selection. If we don't fumble or get penalties, we have a really good chance of scoring.

On defense, TJ Barnes just has to play more. He is inconsistent, but the other guys were getting push around pretty good all day. We could not stop them in short yardage situations. There were several run plays that would have been TDs or explosion plays for a better RB. We need Barnes in there so they can't put 2-3 guys on D. Morgan every play.

Our LBs didn't seem much of a factor either....until they got an injection of Vitamin J. Julian Burnett is a tackling machine. He had something like 7 tackles in his first 9 plays and when he hits people they go down.

I'm concerned about our defense.

All right... what is up with the train whistle sound every time we get a 1st down?

I think that the offense will be fine. Everytime we passed there were lots of open receivers. Takeaway the drops by Allen and Thomas and Nesbitt's stats start looking really good. If Peeples hadn't stopped running, he likely would have caught the pass and scored. Jax St. was overloading the pitch every play. We could have run a reverse and killed them on most plays, but I don't think we wanted to get to crazy with the play selection. If we don't fumble or get penalties, we have a really good chance of scoring.

On defense, TJ Barnes just has to play more. He is inconsistent, but the other guys were getting push around pretty good all day. We could not stop them in short yardage situations. There were several run plays that would have been TDs or explosion plays for a better RB. We need Barnes in there so they can't put 2-3 guys on D. Morgan every play.

Our LBs didn't seem much of a factor either....until they got an injection of Vitamin J. Julian Burnett is a tackling machine. He had something like 7 tackles in his first 9 plays and when he hits people they go down.

I'm concerned about our defense.

J Burnett is the real deal. I think Daryl Smith is the last true FR that's impressed me that much. Barnes had to be doubled. He needs to play. The 2 LB set is going to be less effective on the run up the middle than a straight 4-3. Jefferson played a good game, too. So did Sed.

I believe it was Peeples. He appeared to pull up on his route very slightly when watching real time. Haven't seen the replay.

both of those were definitely Anthony Allen...he looked afraid to go over the middle.

The one to Peeples was the third possession of the game and the pass simply did not have enough air under it.

That failed Nesbitt to Peeples pass happened right in front of me and he definitely did not run through the route.

As an aside, watch AT Barnes when we kick-off. He was fun to watch blow up blockers at his size and speed.

That failed Nesbitt to Peeples pass happened right in front of me and he definitely did not run through the route.

As an aside, watch AT Barnes when we kick-off. He was fun to watch blow up blockers at his size and speed.

Noticed that too. Like a wrecking ball blowing up the wedge.

Watched the replay again. Marcus Wright had a very nice run where he was stopped behind the line but juked out of it and gained some yards. That was on a play we didn't run last year.

It appeared (at least in the first half) that our blocking assignments were pretty crappy. I'm hoping that was just the rust getting shaken off. Also, it did appear that the pitch relationship on a lot of plays seemed "off" from what they were last year. They looked too close and one lazy pitch with an athletic LB could intercept the pitch! I'm hoping we execute better against Clempsun. Fortunately Josh did look a lot more comfortable passing and the OL did give him some time to throw.

I think what others was saying is correct: we could have really burned this team but CPJ wanted to keep it simple so everyone got more reps running the base offense as well as to not give too much away for Clemson.

Speaking of which, I did not know this but it looks like you can rewatch ALL games that were broadcast on an ESPN stations on ESPN360 (going to watch Clemson and UNC today).

Watched a few more plays over and over again. Man, CPJ could have really hurt them with more passing plays but I guess it's a good idea to let them practice the "bread and butter" plays.

JSU's defensive line didn't even bother trying to penetrate our line at snap which could explain why our pass protection looked great. I think this is how they kept the dive in check. They moved laterally and waited for the dive instead of trying to shoot the gaps to disrupt the flow. Josh won't have that much time to pass the ball when we face a bigger defensive line but any defensive line that wants to shoot the gaps will be doing so at the risk of the dive play being successful.

Need to smooth out the mesh point. Looks way too rough.

First fumble (albeit recovered) of the game, Josh should have just taken the hit or slid down instead of pitching it. He did couple of pitches in the 1st quarter that was way too late for the pitchman to do anything with. On the contrary, for the rest of the game, there were a few times Josh should have pitched it instead of keeping it.

Saw Stephen Hill in the huddle quite a few times. I would have loved to have seen him catch a few passes. That reverse play to Stephen was way too obvious. Saw it coming as soon as you see him in motion and the tossing of the ball didn't help. We should do a hand-off instead so it can be faked.

the Jax def CBs stood outside waiting waiting for the pitch and taking away our short outside pass,so we HAVE to burn that def with medium and deep outside passes IF IF we can,
-that is the way I would play us,make Nesbitt prove he can hit that pass,or the 3rd receiver down middle, but they have got to stop the option so give up the pass deep somewhere

Back