And this is how it goes losing the bowl game again...

drinkclearwiskey

Jolly Good Fellow
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/8670/a-look-at-the-final-rankings

The ACC ended the season with four teams ranked in the final Associated Press Top 25: No. 10 Virginia Tech, No. 13 Georgia Tech, No. 19 Miami and No. 24 Clemson. Florida State received votes.

That means that once again, the national perception is that Virginia Tech is still the team to beat in the ACC. Despite the success Georgia Tech had this year, and the fact that Clemson was the ACC's runner-up and won its bowl game, Virginia Tech remains the face of the conference.

And it should be. The Hokies won their BCS bowl following the 2008 season, and they defeated an SEC opponent in a high-profile bowl this year. Georgia Tech and Miami, meanwhile, were defeated by better teams and aren't quite where they want to be yet. Clemson took important steps forward under coach Dabo Swinney, but couldn't win that elusive ACC title with C.J. Spiller. At least Swinney put the Tigers in position to play for it.

The lasting impressions, though, are made in the bowl games, and for the past two years, the Hokies have come out on top. Which is where they should be among the ACC teams in the final rankings.

I mean I get it kind of. But really though when it comes to perception, correct me if I am wrong here, I look at who wins the conference. To me, bowls are different. Many things happen in bowls after the holidays and such. If I am looking at head to head, in conference, who beat who in what conference and came out on top, that is the face of the conference for that year, and deserves to be heading into next year. That's kinda what winning the conference should be, not who lost the bowl game, which a lot of times is a completely different feeling among players. Would GT get more amped for a conference title game seemingly against VT earlier in the year, or against Iowa who if they lose to really won't matter because god knows when they'll play them again.

Further, speaking of bowls, who is the face of the conference in the Big East, Cincinatti. They lost their bowl game, but they won the conference and they only reason they lost their bowl game is because hell froze over in Ohio because Kelley left.

Is Texas not the face of the franchise in the Big 12 because they lost to Alabama? No.

HD cites consistency. Well how's 7-1 conference play to 6-2 with the head to head going to GT?

It is upsetting, considering we beat VT head to head, were the conference champs, and owned all the conference's offensive stats, but that's how it goes. I kind of understand it from an outsider's perspective, because that bowl win was pretty impressive. They will be very tough next year once again, and will be gunning for us.

Her readership is primarily VT fans. She's pandering. Does she think that VT would beat us, head-to-head, right now?

Honestly, other than the hangover loss to UNC, they lost to the MNC and GA Tech, two BCS teams. They won out after the UNC loss in October, and won their bowl convincingly. It's the way it works.

Had Alabama been beaten pretty convioncingly by Texas, you can bet that UF would have been ranked ahead of them this morning.

It is upsetting, considering we beat VT head to head, were the conference champs, and owned all the conference's offensive stats, but that's how it goes. I kind of understand it from an outsider's perspective, because that bowl win was pretty impressive. They will be very tough next year once again, and will be gunning for us.

It shouldn't be upsetting. Who gives a **** where we're ranked right now? The season is over and we're defending Conference Champs.

Now we build from this year and get ready for a repeat

Screw the rankings at this point....everyone knows who's #1 and that's all that makes a ****

VT would have done better against Iowa than we did.

I'm not ashamed of our effort in the OB or our season but I still believe VT could take Iowa.

We are only in our second year of what will become perhaps the best run in our history. If it takes another year or two to get all the pieces in place, I can wait. I've been waiting for nearly 30 years - what's another season or two.

I don't think we are quite ready to carry the banner for the ACC yet. VT did their job in the bowl and we didn't. I don't resent their ranking nor do I think coming in at 13 is a slight. We'll do better next year. And the year after that.

VT might be getting more respect than us at the moment but they are as good as they are going to get. Not so with us. Not by a long shot.

but we cheated to beat them---Beamer said so. That propaganda is going to haunt us until we start beating the beejeezus out of everybody.

VT would have done better against Iowa than we did.

Can't say that. Can't base anything off that. Could Boise St. done better than Texas?

Kinda hard to say VT would have done better considering GT themselves beat VT. It was a 3 point game for the most part of the game. Don't see how we could have done much better. If Josh Nesbitt hadn't thrown that INT with 7 mins. left and GT had instead ran the ball we may not be talking about this.

Iowa had a great D, obviously better than VT and that made the difference.

In last 2 years, we have losses in Peach and Orange, they have wins in those 2 bowls, so I understand it. If you go into details (this season and who each team played in bowls), we should be ranked ahead of them, but without details, I understand it.

I think ACC has improved in the last couple of years. 4-5 years ago, the ACC power VT would be taking complete beatings from other leagues, LSU games come to my mind, but nowadays the ACC powers VT and GT have close games with SEC / Big10 powers. I see more improvement soon at GT and hopefully more at other ACC schools too.

A coupla more thoughts...

1) I don't think this is unfair to us. VT finished stronger. In cases like this I think VT benefits from being a national player for much longer than we have been. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't know, but it's the way it is. The way we are going under PJ, though, I don't think it will be long before we have that same kind of national status.

2) I have heard many times that we shouldn't worry about preseason rankings. I couldn't disagree more. Where you start has a huge impact on where you finish. I am proud of our conference championship, but outside of our region, no one keeps up with who wins conference championships.

The bowls are the last games played and they feature cross conference matchups. Their influence is huge. The bowls and who gets to play for the MNC are decided in large part by people voting on rankings. Until we have a play off, we'd better worry about rankings preseason and every other step of the way.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/8670/a-look-at-the-final-rankingsHD cites consistency. Well how's 7-1 conference play to 6-2 with the head to head going to GT?

Will either of those teams be playing next year? No. We won a very close game with VT at home, then finished the season very weakly while VT finished it very strongly. Plus VT has had like six straight ten-win seasons or something and this is our first in forever. It's no surprise that some people will pick VT as the team to beat next year. However, you will see some people picking us...just not everyone like they would have if we had a good showing in the bowl game.

We've got to show some semblance of a defense before anyone picks us in the preseason top 10. They may not know much, but they do know that w/o a decent D, you won't win a big bowl game where your O is not at full function.

Polls

How can some people who are supposed to have been educated in an institution that values analyses come up with stupid remarks about polls.

There are many who constantly gripe about our position in the polls. It seems these individuals think the voters get together and decide who they will make #1, #2, #3, etal.

These polls are like all polls; each person on the voting list sends in his vote and it is tabulated with all the others. The tabulated votes then determine the position of rankings. There is no group decision as to where each team is placed in the polls.

So, it is ignorant to berate the polls and pollsters by griping about the positions tabulated by the polls.

It is no wonder that ESPN and some other media make fun of Tech and do not take us seriously. We have too many immature fans who have no brain and gripe about anyone who does not think we are the greatest school with the greatest players, coaches, and teams in the world.

If we win consistently, we "will" get the accolades deserved. As long as we keep bombing out in key games, we will not receive the highest accolades.

We have some of the biggest crybaby fans in existence.

Of course, we have some mature and good fans also, but it takes only a few to give a school a bad name.

Here is a truth: There are many who have no self confidence in themselves. They are only fans and are not part of the team playing on the field. However, they think that because their team wins, it makes them better than the teams that are beaten.

Actually, the fan of the winning team is no better or worse than the fan of the losing team. Each fan is an individual and has his own self esteem or lack of same.

Those who lack self esteem try to tear down others and bring them down to their own low level. When you hear a fan praising another team or players, you will see an individual who has good self esteem and understands the benefit of giving credit where it is deserved.

Those who constantly state "a player or team sucks", or use such terms, are individuals who have poor self esteem and are to be pitied.

Father Time

Let me clear this up. My post wasn't about polls or rankings, I think they are stupid in the preseason. I am just saying that on national perception i.e. blogs, other teams fans, etc. I look to the conference champion to the face of that conference going into the next year.

I don't like bitching about polls because what can we do? We could bitch all we wanted and it wouldn't get us higher in the polls, that's up to the team to change. I am happy with a 13 ranking what ever that means.

Just so you know Ahso, I am not going to admit that VT was better than GT right now because GT beat them this year. Just as other posters have posted, VT won 10 games a season in 2008 and 2007. This year GT was 11 wins VT with 9 and GT beat them straight up. So no, I am not going to give credit to VT this year. GT deserved the right to be the face of the conference IMO for 2010 getting the most wins in the season and winning the conference.

My self-esteem is just fine. Maybe yours is the one in question. You have just gotten onto an online message board and delivered psychological advice to someone you know nothing about to make yourself feel better. You tell me who has the self-esteem issues. This is a sports board not a AA forum. Get over yourself.

I don't have as much of a problem with VPI being ranked ahead of GT in the final AP poll as others do. They did win their bowl game, we lost ours, we were ranked fairly close to each other prior to that.

Win you move up in the polls, lose you move down. If VPI happens to be ranked ahead of GT in next season's polls, we can do something about it in Blacksburg.

Back