Andy Hall Leaves Team

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
Didn't see this posted...
Andy Hall is reportedly leaving the team.
No mention of leaving school as well. AJC report

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
I am not surprised that we are losing a QB... I hate to see anyone of the guys leave... but, I feel like we had a really stacked that positon. This should clear the way for Suggs and Bilbo.. and given that Suggs has two years and Bilbo has 4(?) I wonder what Landry will do.... I hate to see Hall leave... but wish him well... I know he had to agonize over the decision

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I am not surprised either, but I had figured it would have been Landry or Bilbo. Since it is Hall, Bilbo and Suggs must be looking pretty good. Hall is a good athlete, and I can't blame him for wanting to play somewhere.

It appears Camp will become more valuable as a QB candidate if Hall is leaving. Since Landry has moved to a defensive backfield position, he may find he likes it back there. Supposedly he is a very good athlete.

GT98

Dodd-Like
ahos,

Bilbo leaving? He is CLEARLY the QB w/the most upside potential; his arm and feet are there, it is a matter of him getting the offense down. IF he is able to accomplish that, then katie bar the door.

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I had stated right after Tech had recruited three exceptional athletes at quarterback that I thought there would be one or two leaving Tech.

This was immediately after signing day when I made the remark. At the time I thought at least one of the three new QBs would decide to go somewhere else rather than compete for the job. At that particular time I figured it would be Bilbo or Landry.

No I think Bilbo knew after he did so well last year that he had a good shot at the job. Sorry I was misleading with my remark.

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
I suspect that there is more here than meets the eye. I doubt very seriously that Hall is afraid of competition...he has had competition since day 1 and has done well; coming close to winning the job over Godsey initially. I am sure it is difficult when an athlete has worked as hard as Hall has and then a new set of coaches come in and everyone kind of goes back to ground zero. Then your being judged (ultimately) by someone that didn't recruit you and hasn't seen that much of you. Sounds like the selection of QB is coming directly from Gailey. Hall might be the first one to vote no confidence in the new regime (with the possible exception of O'brien who tried very hard to find employment elsewhere, which I must say I can't blame him, or Hall either for that matter).
Just my opinion.

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
Beeware,

Please be a bit less fatalistic about this coaching staff. O'leary had issues with QB's leaving. (Crenshaw) I agree that BOB is a bit put out with staff issues...I don't agree that a new coach fires the previous recruiting coordinator. Still, if you went to Tech, there comes a poing where you don't think you're cut out for it. You either stay/go. I believe that's where Hall got to this week.
Your analysis suggests that since Hewitt didn't keep any of Cremins' assistants, Halston Lane's leaving denotes a program in turmoil.

CG has huge question marks, but none bigger than the program has itself. I do not think O'leary could have taken GT to MNC contention. I don't know if CG can do that. But I'd rather not know, than to think not.

As an aside GT hadn't won the "big game" under Oleary. Until 91-92, Dook couldn't win the "final four" under Coach K. Now Dook wins with regularity because K became a much better motivator and less of a yell/scream coach.
I don't think O'leary would ever make that change.

I'm not trying to berate you as it seems others do but there are other lines you might be able to tow.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Ahh, the beeware twist!
I do enjoy the open remarks and opinions on this board. Is respected by this poster.

Missing todays practice, but this will only be my second missed this spring.

Hall, Bilbo, Suggs, and Camp have all had a chance to compete against each other. I've thought over the last week of practice Suggs and Bilbo had separated themselves from Hall and Camp. These guys get graded on everything during practice, so the coaches know better than we do.

I'm speculating that Suggs and Bilbo had the upper hand, and truly believe things were going to change in practice. The number 1 and 2 guys are probably going to get most of the reps from now on.

Everything is pure speculation at this time, but I feel confident that Hall has been beaten out.

Wish him all the best in the world!

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
I agree, GTTerrific. Missed you at practice today.

I've been to almost every practice (except for the first 2), and it did appear to me that Suggs and Bilbo were playing better than Hall. Perhaps the coaches told him as much, and he realized he wasn't going to be able to beat them out. If this is the case then I think it is a good thing that the coaches were honest with him instead of telling him he was still in it just to keep him around.

Not that I wanted Andy to leave, but this could be a positive thing in that Suggs and Bilbo will get even more time running with the first team. This gives them the opportunity to progress even faster, and can only make the team better.

I wish Andy luck wherever he ends up.