Angles & Speed

buzztheirazz

Dodd-Like
There are a couple runs that i'd like to bring up that get to the subject of my thread.

1. JD run against miami. Not sure exactly when it was. Believe it was in the 3rd quarter but it was definitely towards the SW corner of the field. Someone has it sigged with "Diesel" on the bottom of the screen.
Basically, JD just runs through the LB for miami...guy just bounces right off of JD's forearm.

2. JD run against UGA. 1st run at the beginning of 3rd quarter. Same thing happens with the LB.

3. Last TD by Roddy and R.Jones for UGA bounces right off.

These runs continued to run through my head for obvious reasons but it made me start thinking about the way the defenders just bounced right off of our runners.

The more I thought about it, it was due to the fact that by running to the outside, our players were able to get up to full speed. Once they are running at full speed it becomes MUCH more difficult for a player to tackle one of our runners. A defender moving laterally themselves has to be running at full speed to track our guys down and at this point form tackling pretty much goes out the window.

If a run goes to the inside...in general it's going to take a lot more time for a player to get up to speed due to the fact that they have to avoid the O & D lines and then the LB's...and even then the angles are pretty much dead on and not at a 90 degree angle.

I guess my point is that I'm pretty excited in the fact that we have a system that sets up these runs and has a great blocking scheme to execute to the outside.
just some thoughts. no questions. just wanted to air out my stupidity. diarrhea of the keyboard.

There are a couple runs that i'd like to bring up that get to the subject of my thread.

...2. JD run against UGA. 1st run at the beginning of 3rd quarter. Same thing happens with the LB.

That run against ugag was eerily similar to was one of Herschel Walker's famous runs. Both Dwyer and Walker blew by defenders who had great angles on them. They were both sprinting down the same sideline towards the same corner of the stadium.

JD's run is still fresh in our memories, isn't it? Here is HW's run. Watch the first clip in the series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRJTIIJCI7c

Also I believe that in all 3 of those big runs the defensive player who "missed the tackle" was someone who was attempting to make the play after already being blocked. In the UGA game the player was cut to the groung and the Miami game too. Imagine being taken off your feet then you get up and within a second your trying to tackle a guy who is moving full speed.

I think it is "perception" issue. MOST solid D's are built on GANG TACKLING so it is VERY rare you see one on one. However b/c PJ spreads the D so thin you are seeing MORE one on one tackling.

But I agree it appears our backs CANNOT be tackled.

Pretty sure against Miami it was a S that he ran over. Not diminishing the run, just to be accurate.

Back