Another CPJ Recruiting Thread

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
I want to cry and be happy at the same time

Ya, part of me wonders why we play that up so often (including Collins). I mean, we've competed against, won, or smashed some big dogs in our very, very recent past. We're not THAT down in the tubes.

The other part of me loves hearing recruits basically regurgitate word for word Coach Collins' entire marketing campaign. Dude really is a genius in that regard.

Ya, part of me wonders why we play that up so often (including Collins). I mean, we've competed against, won, or smashed some big dogs in our very, very recent past. We're not THAT down in the tubes.

The other part of me loves hearing recruits basically regurgitate word for word Coach Collins' entire marketing campaign. Dude really is a genius in that regard.

It is becoming clear that our perception among recruits was worse than our results, and that is why Collins is pushing change so hard.

That said, the guys we are recruiting now were middle schoolers in 2014 and we are a game under .500 over a 4 year stretch...so it's kind of understandable.

I think they’re just taking outside perception of our program and using that. WE know we’ve done some special things in the past 5-10 years but most of the country doesn’t remember or never knew to begin with. Compared to some of our counterparts, we’re pretty equal but if you want to start comparing us to Clemson or Bama, we’re not even close. I think CGC wants us on the same level (perception wise at least) as those two when it comes to talking about serious football schools.

The fact that all the recruits echoed that the past regime just walked by and didn’t interact much is astounding. Exactly who was recruiting who?

I think they’re just taking outside perception of our program and using that. WE know we’ve done some special things in the past 5-10 years but most of the country doesn’t remember or never knew to begin with.
I hate to say it because 2009 and 2014 were really fun years and I liked (and like) CPJ... but in the past 9 years (when these players were 8 years old) GT's had one nationally-relevant season. We've beaten UGA twice. We haven't won a conf. championship. It's not a ridiculous perspective for them to have.

I hate to say it because 2009 and 2014 were really fun years and I liked (and like) CPJ... but in the past 9 years (when these players were 8 years old) GT's had one nationally-relevant season. We've beaten UGA twice. We haven't won a conf. championship. It's not a ridiculous perspective for them to have.
We won one ACCCG. They can't take that away.

Sustained success gets recognized. One year bumps are often overlooked and forgotten. We have to build a tradition of winning at a high level more years then not.

It is becoming clear that our perception among recruits was worse than our results, and that is why Collins is pushing change so hard.

That said, the guys we are recruiting now were middle schoolers in 2014 and we are a game under .500 over a 4 year stretch...so it's kind of understandable.
CPJ didn’t care about recruiting. All he cared about was running his offense.

CPJ is a good coach. The game just passed by him. I’ll always be thankful for what he did at Georgia Tech. His consistency and his successes made him one of the best and he gave the fan base something to be excited about year over year for the first time since Dodd. Whether good or bad, the fan base got used to winning and he waned in final seasons. I hope he proved to be the start of a winning expectation with the fan base that will be met with another winning coach.

CPJ is a good coach. The game just passed by him. I’ll always be thankful for what he did at Georgia Tech. His consistency and his successes made him one of the best and he gave the fan base something to be excited about year over year for the first time since Dodd. Whether good or bad, the fan base got used to winning and he waned in final seasons. I hope he proved to be the start of a winning expectation with the fan base that will be met with another winning coach.
I'm not sure the game "passed him by". The reality is we need elite athletes to compete and they were just not that excited about CPJ's offense. If CPJ had Alabama, UGA's or Clemson's roster, he would easily win with his system. Also, it was the defense really that never came together, not the offense.

“for the first time since Dodd”... were you around for O’Leary? I remember believing we had a chance and seeing real success every year during his time. I appreciate CPJ as well, but let’s not overstate

I'm not sure the game "passed him by". The reality is we need elite athletes to compete and they were just not that excited about CPJ's offense. If CPJ had Alabama, UGA's or Clemson's roster, he would easily win with his system. Also, it was the defense really that never came together, not the offense.

The roster and the scheme are part of what passed him by IMO. It is harder for elite recruits to see their path to the NFL in the TO because the NFL doesn’t run anything like it. The TO heyday were the 80s and 90s.

The roster and the scheme are part of what passed him by IMO. It is harder for elite recruits to see their path to the NFL in the TO because the NFL doesn’t run anything like it. The TO heyday were the 80s and 90s.
I don’t think CPJ ever adjusted to a level of football where recruiting really matters. When he was at Southern, games were won or lost on scheme - there was more parity between rosters at that level. At Navy, recruiting obviously was not the same focus as it is at other D1A schools. He was able to compensate for a talent deficiency with scheme and was particularly adept at overwhelming teams who had not played his offense before. Those experiences did not translate to Tech and it was getting worse each year.

I don’t think CPJ ever adjusted to a level of football where recruiting really matters. When he was at Southern, games were won or lost on scheme - there was more parity between rosters at that level. At Navy, recruiting obviously was not the same focus as it is at other D1A schools. He was able to compensate for a talent deficiency with scheme and was particularly adept at overwhelming teams who had not played his offense before. Those experiences did not translate to Tech and it was getting worse each year.

That is a fair assessment for Southern, especially with the playoffs. Not so sure about the lack of opponent experience at Navy, but I buy the rest. Im not sure what the root cause(s) of CPJ’s twilight were at Tech, whether they were scheme or coaching. The scheme didn’t attract elite talent, but I recall some coaching decisions in the latter years that were head scratchers compared to the play calling style in the former years. I’m OK accepting that it is some degree of both without knowing the weighting for either.

Back