Another ? For The Board

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this one could be very interesting. If you had to put together a GT team from former players, who would they be on both sides of the ball? Name your offensive and defensive teams and why. Include some backups on both sides.
shocked.gif

I'll post mine down the line. I loved reading everyone's 3 Best Games Attended, this should be good!

The older guys just don't have a chance in this. Leon Hardeman, great player, great halfback in the 50's, not as good as Clinkscale. Bill Curry, George Morris, etc., great old centers, incredibly light and slow by today's standards. Our 2000 team would beat any previous club.

Not so fast Belly! There is little doubt the players of today would line up and whip the players of yesteryears due to the increased speeds, weight, weight training, techniques, wide open offenses, etc.

However, when comparing the players you would have to either take away some of the assets of todays players as you transferred them back to the past or vice versa. You would have to add speed, weight, etc. to the players from the past when transferring them to the future.

I still think you can make a case for players from the past, but you would have to keep in mind the players from the future would be on an even keel with them when transferred back to the past.

It would be extremely hard to overlook the backfield of Bill Brigman (QB), Glen Turner (FB), Leon Hardeman (HB) and Bill Teas (HB). It would be difficult to find a better backfield group in Tech's history than this group.

In fact, pound for pound, it could be stated that Leon Hardeman was the best back to come through Tech. It would be hard to overlook Bill Teas.

For the task of playing one-platoon football, it would be difficult to match Wade Mitchell at quarterback and safety.

It would be difficult for any of today's punters to beat Dave Davis. Hawk Cavette was quite a punter in his day.

Manget would have to be considered the best field goal and extra poing kicker of the ages, but it would also be hard to leave off E. J. Wheeler and Scott Sisson.

George Morris was one of the best football players to ever come through Tech. Larry Morris could have held his own with any of them. Had Kim King been the quarteback in today's wide open passing game, he would have made a much greater impact.

It would indeed be hard to keep Billy Lothridge and Billy Martin off the all-time teams. It is impossible to compare teams and players from different ages.

Those who have already left this world and saw the players under Heisman and Alexander would probably give me a sermon on the teams and players from that era.

You would have to place Eddie Lee Ivery, Sean Jones, and Joe Hamilton in the mix. You would have to throw Jimmy Robinson in as a wide receiver. It would be impossible to leave off Kelly Campell.

It is almost impossible to pick the greatest players of all time due to the different eras and styles of play.

However, it is fun, and I like to hear some of the names repeated to jog my memories of the different players. I know I have left out hordes of players that others will mention.

blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

The "Refrigerator Mover" was John Davis from Ellijay, Georgia in the beautiful North Georgia Mountains.

This is an interesting thread. I had the chance to see a 1943 UGA football roster the other day and NOONE on the team was over 200 pounds.... Its a totally different world and game being played out there today. Still I think its a good subject and you should nominate those based in relation to their era, that is, Billy Lothridge is way down the list on career passing yards, however he did finish 2nd in Heisman voting when he was here (as did Joe Hami).

Here are some of my thoughts. I will need to edit as my memory waxes..

QB Billy Lothridge
TE Billy Martin
C Peter Pund
RB Eddie Lee Ivory
RB Clint Castleberry
RB Brent Cunningham
WR Jimmy Robinson
WR Drew Hill
OL Billy Shields
OL Bill Curry
OL Fridge Mover (help me with the name)
OL Chris Brown

S Gary Faulkner
S Ken Swilling (forgiving the Senior year)
LB Pat Swilling
LB Lucious Sanford
LB Maxie Baughan
CB Don Bessilieu (think he was S but moving him on my team)
CB Willie Clay
DE Smylie Gebhart
DT Rock Perdoni
DE Marco Coleman
DT Coleman Rudolph

Back