Another highlight vid of GT/UNC game

Scroll to 7:20 of the video. It's the play on 4th and 1 and our guy went offsides.

Was he not drawn? The D-lineman definitely moves first.

Look at :43

What is this formation? Its like a 3-3-5, but the first six guys look like 5 LB's and Isiah Johnson.

I guess this is our dime package - they ran for a first down.

Sure seems awfully side on the part of the team that lost...

Nevermind mind. Second half of it seems us.

Last edited:
Scroll to 7:20 of the video. It's the play on 4th and 1 and our guy went offsides.

Was he not drawn? The D-lineman definitely moves first.

Very interesting. I think it's a matter of whether the defender entered the neutral zone. If so it'd be a neutral-zone infraction.

From https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Neutral_Zone_Infraction:
"Before the snap, a defensive player (most often a lineman), jumps into the neutral zone and "startles" an offensive player causing him to false start."

I'm not sure the UNC player entered the neutral zone. Either way our guys need to be keying off the ball rather than the defenders.

Very interesting. I think it's a matter of whether the defender entered the neutral zone. If so it'd be a neutral-zone infraction.

From https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Neutral_Zone_Infraction:
"Before the snap, a defensive player (most often a lineman), jumps into the neutral zone and "startles" an offensive player causing him to false start."

I'm not sure the UNC player entered the neutral zone. Either way our guys need to be keying off the ball rather than the defenders.

Yeah I know, but isn't there such a thing as a OLine man going false start but it was because he was drawn. I can remember the refs saying something like "False start defense, drawing offense offsides".

If he was doing a gap move then yeah that's our fault, but it's like flinched trying to get the O-line to move.

From page 55 of the official rulebook at http://www.ncaapublications.com/DownloadPublication.aspx?download=FR09.pdf :

"After the ball is ready for play, offside occurs (Rule 7-1-5) when a defensive player:
d. Threatens an offensive lineman, causing an immediate reaction, before the ball is snapped (A.R. 7-1-3-VIII Note);"

So the penalty should have been on them. Damn refs almost cost us the game!

I thought so. Good research there. Thanks.

I thought that was right. During the game I really didn't see it and I was pissed at that O-lineman, but after seeing that I am not angry anymore.

Now I am just angry at ACC refs...but then again, when am I not angry at them.

Upon further reading I am doubting that it should've been a penalty on UNC. It seems to only be a penalty if the defensive player enters the neutral zone, causing the offensive player to react. So what precisely is the neutral zone?

"The neutral zone is established when the ball is ready for play and is resting on the ground with its long axis at right angles to the scrimmage line and parallel to the sidelines."

So if the UNC player didn't come within a length of the football of our guys, then he didn't enter the neutral zone, and no penalty should be called.

There is an exception though, that is more aimed at players deliberately attempting to draw the offense offsides:
"Player(s) aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage may not make quick or abrupt actions that are not part of normal defensive player movement in an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul (false start)."

It looks like to me he might not have entered the neutral zone, and perhaps his action wasn't interpreted as a deliberate attempt to draw our guy offsides. Still, I would've thrown a flag--who's to say why the defensive player jumped, and it clearly caused our guy to false start.

I hope CPJ sends the ACC a love note about this one.

Back