Another loss............

law_bee

Dodd-Like
the Territory has announced it too will become commercial

LINK

I hate to see these boards become corporate entities. I felt "the territory" (FSU's board) was about one the best boards going and I was surprised to see this announcement. It appears they are joining the same group as the hive. Guess that means our handles will work on their board too. I am trying to remain optimistic but I have concerns over the hive going commercial.

SPericani2.gif

I'm curious to know how these sites make money. I can imagine schools with very large fan bases could make some major bucks off the subscription boards, but is it enough to float all the sites?

Law, I understand your concerns about the Hive. I think as long as RR can control who can sign up for the Hive (and he has said that he controls that) and he can pull whatever posts, I think commercial Hive will be similar to what it is today. But I don't know how much this cuts down his work if he keeps so much control over it. Guess we'll all see.

I actually understand RR's decision. Most people who have monitored the hive saw this coming. The software he was running and the lack of support meant there was going to be a change.

But the "territory" caught me by complete surprise. There is at least 5+ running that sight. They were using open source BBS that they had modified and it appeared they were very happy doing it. For the Insiders to get that site I believe they did throw down big money. I don't know what "big money" is but I think it might be more than we think.

apachefra.gif

Back