another note on Gaston loss

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
This is a tough blow for Joe since he has been waiting to start for 3 years, and this being his fourth year he was ready to assume the position. Everyone left at this position now has never played it before and there will be some learning by mistakes. We also will be playing this position smaller from a size standpoint. Many thanks to the Hill for not allowing exceptions for this position last year for two safeties that wanted to come to GT and ended up having to settle for UVA and VT.

Another note is this lowers our graduating senior class from 12 to 11 assuming Gaston comes back for his 5th year in 2007. This means 11 scholarships plus however many we can go to from a cap perspective once NCAA comes back with their ruling. Right now we have 77 on scholarship so that would be 11+2. We should also expect to lose a couple more due to academics or injuries between spring practice and fall practice which would bring that 13 number up.

You serious? 13+ next year, maybe? When are we going to get a year when we sign 20+ guys? Why does it seem that we are always at a consistent competitive disadvantage? Gailey, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

I predict the cap will go from 79 to 82. That would be 11+ 5 for a total of 16. I also predict we lose 4 players between now and fall to injuries, transfer, or grades that pushed that to 20.

how is it that some teams seem to sign close to 30 players every year, but somehow never get over the cap of 85? Yet, we sign 18 every year and lose people to academics and various other things and are pushing our imposed limit of 79. The numbers don't quite add up on that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif

We're in deep doo doo at safety and now special teams too. We just do not have the athletes in this body size to compete week in and out. If we have any other injury at safety I think it'll cost us the season. As it is, I'm sure that Tenuta is rethinking next year's plans.

fortunately we have a lot of CB's that should do well at special teams. We are deep there. We also have a few WR's that will play there and a couple or real talented walk-on's (one WR and one TB).

That is simply because most schools do not have any academic entry requirements other than the NCAA req's. Therefore they will sign more than the limit of 25, knowing that a bunch of them will never qualify and they will place them in a prep school (like Hargrave Military Academy). One year FSU had 33% of their incoming rreshman class not meet the NCAA minimums! If you follow UGA's it is typical that 10-20% will not make it.

We do not have to worry about that because every kid we sign comes in.

Back