Another Reason to Drink Saturday

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Study: Abstaining from alcohol significantly shortens life
Of the 1,824 study participants, only 41 percent of the moderate drinkers died compared to a whopping 69 percent of the nondrinkers. Meanwhile, the heavy drinkers fared better than those who abstained, with a 60 percent mortality rate. Despite the increased risks for cirrhosis and several types of cancer, not to mention dependency, accidents and poor judgment associated with heavy drinking, those who imbibe are less likely to die than people who stay dry.

A possible explanation for this is that alcohol can be a great social lubricant, and strong social networks are essential for maintaining mental and physical health. Nondrinkers have been shown to demonstrate greater signs of depression than their carousing counterparts, and in addition to the potential heart health and circulation benefits of moderate drinking (especially red wine), it also increases sociability.
http://www.mnn.com/food/wine-spirit...ing-from-alcohol-significantly-shortens-life#

I think they might have a problem with correlation vs. causation, but still very interesting.

(Yes this is a re-post from off-topic since off-topic is currently too occupied going back and forth on politics.)

The way you spun the title to fit this forum..

Goddamn, cyptomcat, I am impressed.

Let's see, do we have a med school now with "barrel of rum" suggestions? Gotta watch the sugar, though. Don't fear, this is a veiled slap at uga's engineering school baptism.

Let's see, do we have a med school now with "barrel of rum" suggestions? Gotta watch the sugar, though. Don't fear, this is a veiled slap at uga's engineering school baptism.

Did BOR suggest GT getting a med school in response to UGA expanding their engineering? I think GT should definitely go for nursing and pre-med.

No offense, lady engineers, but this would affect the ratio.

Did BOR suggest GT getting a med school in response to UGA expanding their engineering? I think GT should definitely go for nursing and pre-med.

No offense, lady engineers, but this would affect the ratio.

Tech already has "pre-med" (ie basically anyone who wants to go to med school and takes the required courses); and the state med school is Medical College of Georgia...unaware of UGA adding a med school.

Tech already has "pre-med" (ie basically anyone who wants to go to med school and takes the required courses); and the state med school is Medical College of Georgia...unaware of UGA adding a med school.

MCG is changing its name to Georgia's Health Science University (or something like that). They have a new campus in Athens affiliated with UGA.

Let's one up those ****ers and get a damn medical school.

Let's one up those ****ers and get a damn medical school.

Let us not forget that the whole premise for UGAg's engineering degrees is that they won't cost the state any money ... no way to start a Medical School without funding ... of course, I think they're full of ****, but that would be the first argument against Tech creating a med school.

Let us not forget that the whole premise for UGAg's engineering degrees is that they won't cost the state any money ... no way to start a Medical School without funding ... of course, I think they're full of ****, but that would be the first argument against Tech creating a med school.

But we could do it out of our existing budget... like UGay

Don't kid yourself, there's no way they'll do this Engineering school without funding either.

Back