Another Saturday Practice Report

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
QBs:
1. Tevin looks real good running and making decisions with the ball. His arm is not quite as strong as I'd like it, but he's fairly accuate and can get it there. He moved the 1st offense pretty well today.

2. Luallen looks real good as well, passing and making decisions with the ball. He's not as athletic as Tevin or David, but he's got a lot of QB savvy. He moved the 2nd offense pretty well, too.

3. Sims is an incredible athlete, but is still struggling to make the reads and get the ball where it needs to be. The 2nd offense moved in spurts under him, but he did move it some.

4. With Josh, we have 3 good options (pun intended) at QB, and one project. Days will only add to this when he arrives.

RB's:
1. Allen looked good on a few runs. Nothing spectacular, just solid up the gut running. Broke a couple of nice runs. He's going have a good year.

2. Luke Cox was a beast with the 2nd team O. The guy is just a bull with the ball. Don't know how we're going to keep him off the field this year if he keeps running like that, but he's got AA and Lyons ahead of him.

3. Watson is a good, hard runner, and had some nice ones. He's going to get some yards before it's all over for him at Tech. Good RB.

4. Drummond is also a beast. He just can hardly be brought down short of five yards. we're going to enjoy watching him play the next few years.

5. Perkins is going to be good. I saw some very nice acceleration through the hole today, and some very stout running. He's got that combination of speed and power you need at that position. I'd imagine he'd likely get a RS this year with the logjam we have.

WRs:
1. Saw a lot of drops, but saw one or two good snags, too.

2. They are a good blocking unit as a whole.

OL:
1. First team was Claytor LT, McRae LG, Bedford C, Uzzi RG and Krish RT. I think it was Krish. I think the 2nd team was Foster LT, Jackson LG, Finch C, Beno RG and Johnson RT.

2. To me we looked stout up the middle, but light on the edge. Bedford held his own pretty well, and the G's seemed to play pretty well. Backside penetration was there at times, but blocking ahead of the play seemed pretty consistent. We're deeper than I thought with some w/o's playing up.

DL:
1. 1st team was Peters DE, Walls NT and Cross DE. They are stout. This will be OK this year, though Walls still needs to beef up a bit more. They had him listed at 290 and we need him at prolly 305, I'd imagine. Don't know that he has the height to hold more than that and be mobile. I think I saw Barnes in there some with this unit. They subbed in a lot, but 2nd team appeared Tongo DE, Lanier NT and Crenshaw DE. I think I also saw Dieke and Cummings on this unit, too, but it was hard to tell.

2. They are learning, but they hustle well. Peters looks like this will be his year. Barnes made some nice plays, too, as did Cross.

LB's:
1. not sure I can recap this. Lots of movement in this unit.

2. 1st team was Barnes, Jefferson, Sylvester and Egbuniwe. Can't remember seeing Burnett today, but may have missed him. 2nd team was all over, but I think Rocker, Machen, Tongo and Watts got most of the snaps there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

3. Seemed out of place at times, but very quick to the ball at times. Looked like they are learning new assignments, but it is a very athletic group.

DB's:
1. 1st team was Reese and Tarrant at S, Butler and Edwards at C. They look good. Edward plays his position as a hybrid a bit, depending on offensive formation. 2nd team seems to be Taylor and Miles at S, Lockhart and Sweeting at C.

2. There was a lot of mixing a matching here today, and this could be screwed up. I know I saw Thomas make a couple of big hits, too.

Overall, a good, spirited scrimmage. The ball moved well, and the timing looked real good. A few botched snaps, and a few times trying to force a pitch. Sims tried to force a pass once after slipping and it got picked as he got hit just as he threw. Wright continues to impress. That young man is fearless. Tevin is night and day better than fall 2008. He's a good 2nd option now. Luallen looks good throwing the ball. Best passer we've had here in awhile. The 2nd string QB will be quite a fight as will 2nd string B-back. There is absolutely no comparison to this program two springs ago. None whatsoever.

Sorry so long. Things are very bright on the Flats for our football program.

GO JACKETS!!!

Great report stinger! Many "Thanks" to you, 59, and GEHJ. I'd like to know more about Orwin Smith.

Great report stinger! Many "Thanks" to you, 59, and GEHJ. I'd like to know more about Orwin Smith.

Ha hah! Volleyball Babe (my avatar) has hypnotized another! I haven't posted any practice reports, I assume you meant to thank TheDude47.:biggthumpup:

QBs:
1. Tevin looks real good running and making decisions with the ball. His arm is not quite as strong as I'd like it, but he's fairly accuate and can get it there. He moved the 1st offense pretty well today.

2. Luallen looks real good as well, passing and making decisions with the ball. He's not as athletic as Tevin or David, but he's got a lot of QB savvy. He moved the 2nd offense pretty well, too.

3. Sims is an incredible athlete, but is still struggling to make the reads and get the ball where it needs to be. The 2nd offense moved in spurts under him, but he did move it some.

stopped reading your post here

Thanks for the report.

Plus one!

The dropping balls is worrisome. Hewitt can't teach the in bound pass, etc.

I was a receiver (think Raymond Berry) growing up and you hit the ground with the ball in in your arms. It was that simple. No way you were not going to catch the ball. I can't figure if these guys are Hollywood or just plain stupid. They're def not receivers. Who is their coach? He's a dumbass whoever he is. You HAVE to catch every ball thrown within ten feet. It's not an option. That funny looking oblong object? It's called a football! Our job is to advance up the field in increments of ten yards at a time. We toss you the ball you're supposed to catch the damn thing.

I swear the coaches still don't get the pot problem at Tech. These guys are smoking weed. Big time. Major weedism. These guys (and half the coaches) are stoned! They may think it's a fun thing to do but spatial tests will tell you SMACK! that thing that just hit you in the head was the ball you were supposed to catch. These guys are stoned on pot!

Last edited:
I swear the coaches still don't get the pot problem at Tech. These guys are smoking weed. Big time. Major weedism. These guys (and half the coaches) are stoned! They may think it's a fun thing to do but spatial tests will tell you SMACK! that thing that just hit you in the head was the ball you were supposed to catch. These guys are stoned on pot!

That was out of nowhere.

Is this a serious post? If so, you're gonna have to speak more to this. Do you know any of this for sure, and if so, how do you know?

It boggles the mind that people still don't get gnats shtick. I might be the only one but he cracks me the eff up with this stuff.

Back