Another Stat

romegajacket

Helluva Engineer
GT's margin of score over Tulsa is the largest of any bowl so far this year. AND, that was done WITHOUT deliberately trying to run the score up on Tulsa.

rome,

I totally agree that we didn't run up the score....we didn't have to try to score....we couldn't help but score.

If a real offense (say a Texas Tech for example) had played Tulsa, and not called off the dogs, they possibly could have broken Tech's 222-0 record victory over Cumberland.

No offense to Tulsa, but that was the worst looking bowl team that I have ever seen in my life.

Big difference than playing the team we were supposed to play, but got snubbed by....Boise St.

So you begrudge the Boise players for wanting to leave their own stadium for a bowl trip. Jackass.

Originally posted by beeware:
rome,

I totally agree that we didn't run up the score....we didn't have to try to score....we couldn't help but score.

If a real offense (say a Texas Tech for example) had played Tulsa, and not called off the dogs, they possibly could have broken Tech's 222-0 record victory over Cumberland.

No offense to Tulsa, but that was the worst looking bowl team that I have ever seen in my life.

Big difference than playing the team we were supposed to play, but got snubbed by....Boise St.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware .. you are right.. Tulsa looked terrible yesterday.. but have you ever given any thought that the reason they did is because our guys played a great game?

I think you present a pathetic display of support in that you NEVER give credit when credit is due.. its OK that you arent sold on Gailey or simply dont like him.. but at least be man enough to state the obvious when he does a good job.. and he did do a good job in getting this team ready to win yesterday..

Our guys played a great game yesterday.. they win big and all you can do today is talk about how bad Tulsa is.. Tech was prepared yesterday, the guys executed and played fundementally sound football..

You are the one who has spent the majority of the season talking about offensive stats.. well.. Tulsa came into the game ranked 16th nationally in rushing offense.. and ranked 37th overall.. so much for your earlier posts bashing the Tech offense, stats really dont mean much afterall do they??

Our defense shut them down yesterday.. and if not for the fact that we emptied the bench, Tulsa would have had more plays ran that yards gained.. . Our offense put on a clinic in the second half.. like it or not.. thats what happened

The bottom line is this.. Tech showed up yesterday... big time.. Gailey and his staff did a great job... the guys played hard... Tech won by 42 points...

I hope you had plenty of antacids available for your heartburn yesterday...

Originally posted by beeware:
rome,

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Your post on December 23rd... remember??
Tulsa is fairly decent offensively and somewhat lacking defensively

And... from Dec 17th... looks like you may have lost a bundle on Tech yesterday !!

But that certainly does not guarantee us a victory over an outmanned Tulsa team as we certainly did not beat BYU out there.

By the way, just for the record, dook is ranked #83....and we all know how that turned out.

Yeah.. we lost to Duke this year.. but I missed their bowl game.. care to refresh my memory as to which one they played in?

Note: Last year we finished the season ranked #43....Fresno St. that whipped us in the Silicon Valley Bowl finished at #64.

Note: Tech won yesterday 52-10

yes, GT showed up to play and executed a good game plan despite Ball, but let's look at this realisticly. Tulsa is not a good team. Over the past two years, they have won a combined 9 games..and some of those W's should have been losses.

The ACC has no business playing in this Bowl against mediocre WAC teams.

Beeware, I usually don't respond to you because I don't want it to seem that i'm piling on but the remark that we couldn't help but run the score up, is completely rediculous. I am aware that comparing scores is not an exact science but sometimes thay do give us a trend.

Tulsa beat Hawaii 27-16 and this is the same Hawaii that took Alabama to the woodshed in their bowl. They also lost to Boise State 27-20 and i'm not sure but it seems to me that game was played at Boise.

Now to make a statement like you did makes me feel that you would have made similar remarks even if it had been Oklahoma that we beat.

At any rate you failed to get your facts straight before firing away at the hip.

Yes, Tulsa looked terrible offensively. But last year in San Jose, we turned it over seven times and looked terrible. I said beforehand turnovers would be the key to the game. You can't lose 6 fumbles and get sacked 7 times and still expect to win.

Yes..I see it now..Beeware will be at this for a LONG time while Coach Gailey is here....I can see us winning the ACC and Beeware is complaining about our offense not being ranked Statistically in the top 25....

Wow, Tulsa was ranked fairly high on Offense Nationwide as one poster said.....Goes to show the real meaning of statistics...Only losers dwell on them....

yet a better stat that I brought up in the chat room:

In the 6 bowl games featuring ACC teams, the ACC outscored our opponents 213-82!

Originally posted by jacketguy:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by beeware:
rome,

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware .. you are right.. Tulsa looked terrible yesterday.. but have you ever given any thought that the reason they did is because our guys played a great game?

I think you present a pathetic display of support in that you NEVER give credit when credit is due.. its OK that you arent sold on Gailey or simply dont like him.. but at least be man enough to state the obvious when he does a good job.. and he did do a good job in getting this team ready to win yesterday..

Our guys played a great game yesterday.. they win big and all you can do today is talk about how bad Tulsa is.. Tech was prepared yesterday, the guys executed and played fundementally sound football..

You are the one who has spent the majority of the season talking about offensive stats.. well.. Tulsa came into the game ranked 16th nationally in rushing offense.. and ranked 37th overall.. so much for your earlier posts bashing the Tech offense, stats really dont mean much afterall do they??

Our defense shut them down yesterday.. and if not for the fact that we emptied the bench, Tulsa would have had more plays ran that yards gained.. . Our offense put on a clinic in the second half.. like it or not.. thats what happened

The bottom line is this.. Tech showed up yesterday... big time.. Gailey and his staff did a great job... the guys played hard... Tech won by 42 points...

I hope you had plenty of antacids available for your heartburn yesterday...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think you are right on about Beeware, but I fear it falls on deaf ears.

BW you state that you were a fan before many on this board was born, you also state that Tulsa was the worst bowl team you ever saw. I guess that you don't know about Alabama vs. Cuse in the Orange bowl where Bama beat Cuse something like 60 to 6. So are you as old as you say and is Tulsa the worst bowl team or are those just another of your off the wall statements.

OldFoggy, the ironic thing about Bama just killing Syracuse was that Ben Schwartzwalder{I think that is the right spelling} tried Dodd's method of bowl preparation in which they did very little in the way of scrimmaging and took Dodd's soft approach of letting his kids have a good time and it came back to bite him.

I remember him saying after getting killed by Bama that from then on he would prepare his team the old fashioned way. He said after the game that he had talked to Dodd and followed his prescription in preparing for the bowl. He went on to say that it only worked for Dodd.

Actually Syracuse had a good team that year but they were unfortunate enough to meet a great Bama team led by all-american RB Bobby Marlow and STAR QB Bobby Luna along with not being properly prepared culminated in a rout.

We are talking about the 1953 Orange Bowl game and I am not absolutely sure of this, but I think the 7-3 loss to undefeated Tech that year was the Tides only loss. The 1952 Bama team was truly a great football team.

Tech wasn't too shabby as they had QB Bill Brigman, RB's Leon Hardeman and Larry Ruffin, among the other great players on our team was Hal Miller,George Morris,Bobby Moorhead, Jimmy Morris, Larry Morris, Buck Martin and this is just a short list of the many great players on the Tech roster and they had their hands full with this great Bama team.

BBuck your memory is as good as mine yes it was a good but I hesitate at calling Bama great that year but very good. 7-3 Tech. I do not remember if it was Bobby Luna as QB, he was from Huntsville and had an undefeated season at HHS. I sure took a bunch of ribbing until I told all the kids at HHS that a one point is still a loss but I think Tech did not cover the spread. Red Drew was the coach at Bama. Did you notice BW does not answer my post above, he is nothing but a big blow hard and I'll tell him Buzz Off.

Yes OldFoggy I did notice that you didn't get a response from BW.

Speaking of Red Drew, he really had some fine teams but he was replaced by a coach by the name of 'EARS WHITWORTH'. EARS brought Bama down so fast that when he was replaced by Bear Bryant in 1957 that Bama only won something like 3 games in his last two years.

If people thought that Bill Curry had some strong opposition they should have been around when EARS brought them down the sewer.

BBuck, I was at Bama as a freshman when Ears was there, we had a perfect season 0-11 or was it 0-10. Anyway it was not all Ears fault it was mostly the AD at the time and when Bear came in he was the first to go. Ears became an assistant to Wally at UGag. So BW come on answer you have a mouth big enough to answer.

It really is interesting to see how many after the fact experts there are around here. If you'll remember the line on the game was like 6.5 or 7. Meaning Vegas and the gambling public thought we were a TD better. So after we demolish them we all KNOW that we were vastly superior and it was beneath us to be on the field with them. Give me a break.

Back