Another supergood interview with Radakovich

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
This young man just keeps impressing me. Dan says "my goal is to compete for championships". Rad also adds that Georgia Southern "will be in the mix to fill in future dates" & that he has talked to GSU AD Sam Baker about it.
Don't you just love an Athletic Director that will actually tell the school's fans what is going on??? It's almost like he is proud of what GT is & what he is doing for GT & wants everybody to know that Ga Tech is going to compete in every sport with everybody. Hate to sound all 'gushy', but Dan Radakovich deserves it so far.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/gatech/stories/0808gasoutherntech.html

Yeah he really has done a great job to this point. No offense to Bill Curry, but I think the right decision was ultimately made.

I will take this moment to say that Dave Braine was terrible. I don't care if its old news either and needs to be put out to pasture. I called out his ineptitide long before it was obvious. And I'll say it again.

But I do love Radakovich.

I have your back on that one, BOR.

Braine did some good things - but he clearly lost his heart for the job pretty fast, and lacked the vision that some before him had.

I defended him the entire time until that '8 win - low expectation' comment. There was no leadership in that. It was the ultimate in low expectations.

I joined the Braine haters after that one.

Lets face it...

The 3 Stooges would look good compared to DaBraine's performance over the past several years.

The 3 Stooges were a comedy group with great jokes, Brain Dead was a sick joke that we will be paying for over the years.

Was never a Braine hater, just never saw any evidence of creativity, energy, or passion in him. He was an old football coach who was likable enough. He was worth listening to for his football insight on the pregame radio show. I wish him well, but I'm glad we have an athletic administrator at the helm now.

The thing that impresses me most about Dan Rad is not what we are hearing in the press, but what we are NOT hearing.

Has anyone else noticed the absence of embarrassing incidents lately? (knock on wood)

I would not be surprised if our new AD has been working behind the scenes to ensure we get the best PR possible given a press known to be hostile toward Tech.

Has anyone else noticed the absence of embarrassing incidents lately? (knock on wood)
By no means am I defending Braine here (I just think you have a weak point). Did he have an "embarrassing moment" in his first 6 months on the job? All indications are D-Rad will be just what we needed in the position but come on, his feet are barely wet at GT.

Currently, he's just speaking in generalities - saying what most fans what him to say. The only stance he's taken so far (football-wise) is to lighten up the schedule - Braine would've been killed for doing the same thing.

Last edited:
ContactBuzz said:
Did he have an "embarrassing moment" in his first 6 months on the job?

Actually my point is a strong one. You need to look, not at the first 6 months, but the last 6 months or better yet, the last couple years of Braine's tenure. The PR blunders have stopped.

ContactBuzz said:
By no means am I defending Braine here (I just think you have a weak point). Did he have an "embarrassing moment" in his first 6 months on the job?

I don't remember exactly when it was...

but that "Let's move the GT-UGA game to the Dome!" brilliant idea was pretty early on.

His point Bunger is that the first 6 months of most tenures is a feeling out process. D-Rad hasn't done anything embarrassing, but he also hasn't done all that much yet. I agree that I think he's a great hire and will be a great AD. But for me it's more of the attitude he brings to everything. He's more open, positive and decisive than Braine. But let's face it, if Braine had said we need to lighten up the schedule he would have been crucified. D-Rad says it and everyone thinks he has a good point. To his credit he's created the environment to make that happen.

ContactBuzz said:
Currently, he's just speaking in generalities - saying what most fans what him to say. The only stance he's taken so far (football-wise) is to lighten up the schedule - Braine would've been killed for doing the same thing.

Braine was unfortunate in that he initially had to deal with the old ACC. There were only two conference opponents that GT fans were really passionate about in FSU and Clemson, and a third secondary rival in Virginia. Everyone else more or less brought a collective yawn in Atlanta, and still does. Maryland and NCSU are now better and somewhat more interesting, but their fan bases still emphasize basketball first.

So when Braine got here GT fans were tired of a schedule of UGA, a couple of patsies, and the old ACC. We wanted to play more opponents that we collectively care about, not to toughen the schedule but just to make it more interesting.

And the opponents that we care about do not include Louisville, no matter how good they are. Tech fans want to play any of the 11 non-Vandy SEC schools, and we want to play national powers with a big name and some sort of history with us, such as Notre Dame or Colorado.

The most desired opponents of course are the big-name SEC schools that fit both categories and who generally are our traditional rivals.

The new ACC really changes things though. The schedules are SOOOOO much better. Especially in 2008. Just in terms of big name football schools our '08 schedule is like taking one of O'Leary's schedules, throwing out three "basketball schools" in Maryland, NCSU and Wake, and playing three serious football schools in VT, Miami and Boston College instead.

That is a significant upgrade in interesting opponents. VT and Miami are up there with the likes of LSU and Florida, and despite being Yankees, Boston College can easily match UVA for passion and usual team quality. In the late '90's I hung out with some BC alum girls and they had a large print of the '93 BC kick to beat #1 ND on their living room wall.

And DRad lightened the schedule in a SMART way, which admittedly Braine was already starting to do by scheduling Ole Miss and Vandy. DRad got rid of Louisville, a good team noone cares about, and added a non-Vandy SEC program that looks likely not to be as good as GT in the next couple of years. The difference is that DRad did this to establish his first impression, while the first impression Braine made was trying to schedule patsies.

The reality as you and I both well know is that the 11 non-Vandy SEC schools have the most football passion of any conference and certainly represent the majority of football passion in the South. Playing any of them adds excitement to GT's schedule and also adds interest to locals who are not necessarily GT fans. I am so excited about GT's schedules and the promise of our program for the next 10 years.

Back