Another Vintage Tech Football Photo

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
An Auburn game.... looking at the Aubbie's helmet (with 3 stripes & numbers (pre interlock AU), this is from 1961-1965. Games were at Grant Field in odd numbered years (Birmingham's Legion Field in evens).

Looking at the mostly Riddell shoes (the ones with the "three holes in the white band" and the barely visible white "swoosh that's not a swoosh" were made by SpotBilt, the kind YeOldDeepSnap wore) were intro'd about that time. Same for the helmet - if you look really closely at #30's facemask, that's the classic gray double bar on a Riddell suspension helmet (AKA "Headache/Concusssion Generator").

If it were 1965, #30 would be Tim Woodall. I know Tim & that is NOT Tim Woodall nor his body type. On the other end, 1961, #30 was Billy Williamson & that AIN'T Billy. Also, no one wore #16 in 1961.

That leaves 1963.... #30 is the recently deceased Johnny Gresham & #16 is the multi-talented Jerry Priestley, one of the few to letter in three varsity sports - Football, Baseball & Basketball. He also set the record for most INT's thrown in a game with 5 - I happened to be sitting next to him with recruits in the UW when Eddie McAshan tied his INT record & set the standard with 5 TD passes in the 1972 Rice game.

This is from the 1963 21-29 loss to the Turkey Buzzards at Grant Field.

ADDED: That Aubbie team had Jimmy Sidle as QB (& nation's leading rusher) and Tucker Frederickson as one of the RBs. Both were A-A's & Frederickson had a seven year NFL career with the NY Giants. Sidle was about as big as Frederickson, but shoulder injuries made him a RB like Frederickson. And IIRC this may have been the game that got Ted Davis kicked off the team for kicking one of the Auburn Rawson RB brothers in the head.

Last edited:

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
An Auburn game.... looking at the Aubbie's helmet (with 3 stripes & numbers (pre interlock AU) with numbers , this is from 1961-1965. Games were at Grant Field in odd numbered years (Birmingham's Legion Field in evens).

Looking at the mostly Riddell shoes (the ones with the "three holes in the white band" and the barely visible white "swoosh that's not a swoosh" were made by SpotBilt, the kind YeOldDeepSnap wore) were intro'd about that time. Same for the helmet - if you look really closely at #30's facemask, that's the classic gray place double bar on a Riddell suspension helmet (AKA "Headache/Concusssion Generator).

If it were 1965, #30 would be Tim Woodall. I know Tim & that is NOT Tim Woodall nor his body type. On the other end, 1961, #30 was Billy Williamson & that AIN'T Billy. Also, no one wore #16 in 1961.

That leaves 1963.... #30 is the recently deceased Johnny Gresham & #16 is the multi-talented Jerry Priestley, one of the few to letter in three varsity sports - Football, Baseball & Basketball. He also set the record for most INT's thrown in a game with 5 - I happened to be sitting next to him with recruits in the UW when Eddie McAshan tied his INT record & set the standard with 5 TD passes in the 1972 Rice game.

Thank you for all that information. I started pulling for Tech in the late 1950s. My hero was Billy Lothridge. Later, I lived right down the street from Stan "The Man" Gann in Warner Robins, when he was the coach at Northside High. Great days all.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
An Auburn game.... looking at the Aubbie's helmet (with 3 stripes & numbers (pre interlock AU) with numbers , this is from 1961-1965. Games were at Grant Field in odd numbered years (Birmingham's Legion Field in evens).

Looking at the mostly Riddell shoes (the ones with the "three holes in the white band" and the barely visible white "swoosh that's not a swoosh" were made by SpotBilt, the kind YeOldDeepSnap wore) were intro'd about that time. Same for the helmet - if you look really closely at #30's facemask, that's the classic gray double bar on a Riddell suspension helmet (AKA "Headache/Concusssion Generator).

Thanks for that all-time GREAT post!

Anyway, I think those unis are awesome.

The Jacket

The Coat
Would love to see this colorized. Thanks for posting, don't think I've seen this one before. Those unis are beautiful even in monochrome.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
Would love to see this colorized. Thanks for posting, don't think I've seen this one before. Those unis are beautiful even in monochrome.
Don't romanticize it too much.... though in this pic they look to match the gold of the helmets, IIRC the jerseys were more yellow than gold, It would be 1968 before a "decent gold" jersey would be used.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
An Auburn game.... looking at the Aubbie's helmet (with 3 stripes & numbers (pre interlock AU), this is from 1961-1965. Games were at Grant Field in odd numbered years (Birmingham's Legion Field in evens).

Looking at the mostly Riddell shoes (the ones with the "three holes in the white band" and the barely visible white "swoosh that's not a swoosh" were made by SpotBilt, the kind YeOldDeepSnap wore) were intro'd about that time. Same for the helmet - if you look really closely at #30's facemask, that's the classic gray double bar on a Riddell suspension helmet (AKA "Headache/Concusssion Generator").

ADDED: That Aubbie team had Jimmy Sidle as QB (& nation's leading rusher) and Tucker Frederickson as one of the RBs. Both were A-A's & Frederickson had a seven year NFL career with the NY Giants. Sidle was about as big as Frederickson, but shoulder injuries made him a RB like Frederickson. And IIRC this may have been the game that got Ted Davis kicked off the team for kicking one of the Auburn Rawson RB brothers in the head.
Sitting here, I can’t think of a single #30 in my 25 years as a fan, much less 2 guys from the early 60s.

**Edit to say James Lipfert I think were #30 for one of PJs early teams. Walkon LB that stood out on STs. Memory starting to heat up…

The Jacket

The Coat
Don't romanticize it too much.... though in this pic they look to match the gold of the helmets, IIRC the jerseys were more yellow than gold, It would be 1968 before a "decent gold" jersey would be used.
I'm familiar with the colors from the era generally, but I don't have the issue with it some people do. Unless we are talking about something like canary yellow, I am a big fan of the more mustardy old gold as seen in the 2006 Virginia game and was hoping adidas intended to take us back to that.

A return to the ~1967 look would suit me just fine.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
Sitting here, I can’t think of a single #30 in my 25 years as a fan, much less 2 guys from the early 60s.

**Edit to say James Lipfert I think were #30 for one of PJs early teams. Walkon LB that stood out on STs. Memory starting to heat up…
I cheat. There's a certain amount of "COF (CertifiableOldFartekker) knowledge," I look for certain tells to narrow the window, then I go to the GTAA archives & look at the rosters within the windows. I know for certain this #30 also wasn't Doug Dale or my old teammate & classmate, Jeff Ford.

Last edited:

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
I'm familiar with the colors from the era generally, but I don't have the issue with it some people do. Unless we are talking about something like canary yellow, I am a big fan of the more mustardy old gold as seen in the 2006 Virginia game and was hoping adidas intended to take us back to that.

A return to the ~1967 look would suit me just fine.
A shot from the 1967 (1966 GT team) Orange Bowl - that is Steve Spurrier handing off to Larry Smith for the Florida Gators. No idea if this is the start of Smith's 90-something yard TD run.

But Bud Carson, with a paranoid dislike for his boss Dodd & Budro's world class Napoleanic complex - kept them for a year only & changing to the gold helmets in '67. In '68 he did a total revamp much to the chagrin of all of us in the program. Our 1968 Freshman team wore these with the 1968 style varsity helmets, the last GT team to do so until Fulcher brought 'em back in 1972.

As for that 2006 UVA "Calvin" throwback game, that uni was what we (including your truly) wore from 1969 to 1971. We hated 'em. But today, given the goofiness of the last two or three decades, they look pretty good.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.

Daniel Drummond wore 30.

GT76

Damn Good Rat
A shot from the 1967 (1966 GT team) Orange Bowl - that is Steve Spurrier handing off to Larry Smith for the Florida Gators. No idea if this is the start of Smith's 90-something yard TD run.
Thanks for posting. I was about to check because that game was the first Tech football game I ever attended.