Anybody got season tics yet?

I disagree with every word in your post.

Also, I was about 8 when I learned that being loud and obnoxious didn't make me any more right. How old are you?

You're damn right I agree with the concept and I hope the Club Seats fill up within the five allotted years. The benefits of a successful Club section far outweigh your concerns about camera angles and crowd noise.

Re: I disagree with every word in your post.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I was about 8 when I learned that being loud and obnoxious didn't make me any more right. How old are you?

You're damn right I agree with the concept and I hope the Club Seats fill up within the five allotted years. The benefits of a successful Club section far outweigh your concerns about camera angles and crowd noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get "loud and obnoxious" on a message board? Isn't that an oxymoron? Maybe you are reading too much into my tone.

I'm adamantly opposed to the chair backs the way they are run now. I agree that having chairbacks is a good thing, but the choice of locations is piss poor. They should have been the back 10-20 rows of the lower east stands.

That said, I cannot see how anyone can support the chairbacks the way they are now. To not see the huge disadvantage and disservice it is doing to the Tech program, one would have to be ignorant, or just not give a crap.

If in two years those seats stay filled, I will admit that I was wrong, but so far the proof is right there for your own eyes.

Do you not think that empty seats on television plays a significant disadvantage to selling our program to potential fans and recruits alike?

Do you not think it takes away from a perceived home field advantage?

Stick, don\'t you work for the AA?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/2orglaugh.gif

Re: I disagree with every word in your post.

[ QUOTE ]
The benefits of a successful Club section far outweigh your concerns about camera angles and crowd noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting you didn't mention any of those benefits in your response to me. The disadvantages are obvious and have been listed. What are the benefits other than those that are provided to the individual?

I\'m a sellout. I\'m ignorant. I don\'t give a crap

Noooooo, that's not obnoxious. How on earth could I have deduced that on an internet message board.

Benefit to football: a sold-out Club section provides valuable and necessary revenue for the new stadium, which was critical for recruiting (far more critical than full club seats as seen on TV by recruits).

Benefit to the rest of GT athletics: football revenues pay the way for all the other sports except men's basketball. Full club section = more money for all our sports.

Our club seats are where they are to give them the greatest chance to sell. That's why the current set-up is better than what you propose.

Finally, since the Auburn game two seasons ago, I have attended more LOUD games in Atlanta than I ever did in the old stadium, so I think your homefield advantage argument has little if any weight. Sure, there are dead games too (like UVA last year), but no more than there were prior to expansion. My former seats were in the UE so my perspective is similar now to then.

I disagree with your position, but, more than that, I disagree with your presentation. I'm tired of you using this place as a bully pulpit.

Re: I\'m a sellout. I\'m ignorant. I don\'t give a crap

I sit on the other side of the railing from the club seats, and I can tell you with certain fact that the opposing team has a cake walk when it comes to being in a tough environment. Hell the three rows behind their bench is a joke, there aren't any fans in their ear.

As for the revenue provided, yes that is good. But taking a sacrifice in the public perception of GT football to cash in on ticket sales (which so far isn't producing) is like charging more for a luxury item when you're not building the foundation to sustain the luxury. Its flat out stupid.

As long as we have a depleted fan base and our recruiting is not in the top half of the ACC, you're arguement holds no merit.

And you need to relax. I know you care. Obviously you shelled out the dough to get the club seats. Many of my very good friends have done the same. Unfortunately, I just don't think you fully understand the damage it is doing to the perception of GT football.

Club seats and 3 game ticket packages are a quick fix solution. Without a program to build the very foundation by with which these seats should be in demand, you're not addressing the needs of the program.

The GTAA assumed that the demand would be there. Well, its not, and were three years into this debacle trying to figure out why we have an excess of supply.
The GTAA's attitude is that when we start really winning big, the demand will finally be there. Well when you are going against the very thing that helps to create a winning program, its hard to realize your goal.

Its all counterproductive.

Depleted fan base?

For the 6th or 7th year in a row, our season ticket sales increased in 2004, and I suspect they will again. Sure, there are a lot of no-shows for some games, but that's as it always has been.

And recruiting is very comparable to where it was at the beginning of O'Leary's tenure. In fact, he had one--ONE--Top 25 class, in 2000, his 6th year on the job. So get back to me after Gailey's 6th year and we'll compare.

I know with certainty that I cannot sway you from your position, and I don't mean to be trying. But you should know that you will NEVER convince me that heckling the opposing team is more important than having the money to renovate our stadium.

I think I did a pretty good job of giving UVA's punter and "flag carrier" hell when I got to sit in the front row last year.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Of course, I was the only one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif

Re: Depleted fan base?

You're right, but not showing potential fans and recruits that we can fill a stadium hurts more than the financial gain.

And the no shows are a product of having ammenities that keep fans out of their seats and three game ticket packages that opposing teams buy, which would explain the spike in ticket sales and the fact that we have more seats to offer. So the arguement that we have increased ticket sales is severely flawed in my opinion.

Re: Depleted fan base?

The real question is how many more GT fans are buying tickets?

Exactly, when I was in the LE I would give the visiting team hell, non-stop! By the 3rd quater some players would stay away from my seats because we layed it on thick. But now, we have those scary empty seats??

I pray someone at GTAA wakes up and fixes this problem. Hell go to a D II game and you will not see half of one side of the stadium empty! Hell go to a high school game, you wont see a huge hole in the middle of the stands like we have. I am tired of having to stand up and defend Tech to my friends who ask, "why are the Gold seats empty?"

I was talking about FULL SEASON tickets,

not the mini-packs. It is FULL SEASON TICKETS which have increased every year for the last 6 or 7. Yeah, we have more seats to offer, but if our FULL SEASON TICKET sales are increasing every year, aren't we doing some things correctly to fill those additional seats?

And when I referenced "no shows" I was talking about folks who have tickets but who never come into the stadium, i.e., the UVA game last year.

Re: I was talking about FULL SEASON tickets,

Stick- Not to pile on with BOR here, as I would love to see the chairbacks sell out and I don't criticize any Tech fan who will use the seats. However, if they don't go any better utilized with this year's home schedule, all Tech fans should agree that this mistake needs correction.

How can you make statements about the sight and especially the sounds in the stadium being the same as it used to be when you are'nt looking at it or listening to it from the West stands? If you were in the West stands in the late 90's during the UVA 41-38 game (or any competitive game for that matter) and compared it to any game since reseating (inclusive of Auburn), no way you make that statement that the stands are just as loud for the visiting team.

Even during the 70's/80's so-so years, the East stands were known to be able to disrupt an opposing team's snap count especially as they drove to the North endzone. Do you really think that could happen now? That is the home field advantage that we have sold out.

I also disagree with your statement that the chairbacks are located in a prime spot because this is the only place Tech fans would buy them. I haven't really considered that people may actually pay for these and choose to sit in the lounge, but it looks to me people aren't buying them where they are now.

I have mentioned before that Clemson is putting their new club seats in the upper portion of their West endzone where visitors used to sit and displacing the visitors to the upper deck. In other words, if you want to entertain clients, drink beer, or sit in the lounge and catch an occasional play, you can do that from the endzone for $1500/seat. What would have been wrong with BOR's suggested top 10 rows of the East? or the North end zone for that matter?

Name me another stadium in the ACC/SEC other than Duke/Vanderbilt where some of the best seats in the house are taken up by empty seats and/or opposing fans. How do you think that makes the players feel? Please tell me how this promotes the same home field environment as Clemson, FSU, Va Tech, etc.

First of all,

I never said LE between the 20s was the ONLY place club seats would sell, just that such a great location was more likely to produce better sales.

Secondly, this is the third year of selling club seats. They told me they were looking at selling out by the fifth year. For the financial benefits, I think it's worth giving it the full five years. If the club seats aren't sold out by then I hope they try something different.

Third, I don't agree that the stadium hasn't been just as loud. I've NEVER heard it louder than the Auburn game two years ago, including the great comeback against UVA in 1998, which I happened to watch from the West stands.

Finally, there aren't many stadiums in the ACC with club seating, but there are LOTS in the southeast, and all of them except Clemson have at least some of their club seats on the sidelines--and for much more money than GT charges, I might add.

Re: First of all,

you are right, you did not say the only place they would sell is prime LE...my point is, if they didn't sell this year, will they really improve with next year's home schedule which is less attractive on the whole other than Miami?

Even though this year will be the first time in over 20 years I've been to Auburn, and probably that long since UT, I am still unaware of stadiums in the SE that have club seats in prime positions. Can you give an example?

Sorry for the delay, I was gone over the weekend.

Here's some southeastern schools with club seating sections, and some of the particulars about their club seats:

Georgia -- sideline, lease amt. = $1,000+season ticket

Arkansas -- sideline, lease amt. = range of $1,000-$5,000 (ticket included)

Auburn -- sideline, lease amt. = $1,500 (ticket included)

Clemson -- endzone, ONLY available to $1,000/year donors, requires immediate $1,000 construction fee, and $1,250 lease fee w/5 year committment (ticket included)

Florida -- endzone, lease fee = $1,000+cost of ticket

Ole Miss -- sideline, lease fee = $1,000 (tickets included for first 3 years)

South Carolina -- sideline and endzone, lease fee = $575-$850+cost of season ticket

Hope this helps.

Back