Anybody on here sick of losing to FSU?...

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
I was sitting around last night thinking about our series with FSU and how we're always a day late or a dollar short.

What really galls me is that they've had their butts kicked twice by NC State...a school we've beaten like a drum for most of the past 6 years. They also got drilled by UNC, a team we dominated last year, and whipped 4 years in a row. Even UVA beat 'em in '95.

Here we are, supposedly a football school, and a couple of Tobacco Road schools plus the Snobs have beaten them, not us.

And the theme for our loss is different every year:

'92 We should have beaten them. Nuff said.
'93-97...Pretty much crushed every year.
'98...We played with them for 3 QTRS and then they blew us out after Joe was knocked out of the game (thanks to a cheap shot, IMO). At that time, 34-7 was a moral victory.
'99...Joe puts on a show, but no defense.
'00...We really could have won this game, but they made a few plays with their wide receivers and we didn't have enough offense. Godsey was injured in this game, as well.
'01...We were mentally crushed after a bad season. We didn't put up much of a fight.

I don't know. I'm tired of it.

But one thing I do know...the talent disparity is not what it used to be. We used to be lucky to stay within 30 points of them. That's not the case anymore. Let's not go into that game expecting the obligatory butt-kicking. I really think we can ambush them this year. We have talent all over the place and just need to play up to our potential. I don't believe FSU is as powerful as they used to be. They've lost lots of good coaches recently (Richt, Van Halanger and Amato). Plus, Bowden is getting old.

They'll be favored to win the ACC and to beat Tech. But I think we can hand them the upset this year.

bug,
Also, the 2000 team could easily have been won late in the game if the referees had not made a terrible NO-call on an obvious pass interference. The pass interference was so flagrant that the FSU radio announcers called it immediately and were amazed when there was no flag.
In 2001, we were poised to beat FSU but were unable to play due to 9-11. The very next weekend, North Carolina stomped the mudhole in FSU that should have (and I totally believe would have) been our mudhole. After that FSU improved tremendously by the time we played them.

Originally posted by beeware:
bug,
Also, the 2000 team could easily have been won late in the game if the referees had not made a terrible NO-call on an obvious pass interference. The pass interference was so flagrant that the FSU radio announcers called it immediately and were amazed when there was no flag.
In 2001, we were poised to beat FSU but were unable to play due to 9-11. The very next weekend, North Carolina stomped the mudhole in FSU that should have (and I totally believe would have) been our mudhole. After that FSU improved tremendously by the time we played them.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's completely correct, IMO.

Originally posted by beeware:
bug,
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">AMEN !!That pass interference call still sticks in my craw .... we would have won that game... and would have kicked their butts last year had we played them on 9/15

To answer the original question... yes I am tired of losing to these guys... my wife is a huge Ga fan... her Dad played for the Dawgs... she remarked that last year it seemed I wanted to beat FSU worse that Ga... and I would say that was true early on...

Good thread starter bugboy (which we've seen quite a few of lately
smile.gif
). I live in FSU country. For those that don't know there's an FSU Panama City campus here that ironically enough just recently started offering engineering and technical programs (a modest amount). FSU fans generally don't even recognize you unless you've beaten them. They've almost got that Alabama kind of arrogance where they just EXPECT to be in the thick of things at the end of the year and if you don't beat them (ala' UF, Miami, etc) you're a nobody. My guess is that most FSU fans would consider the wins by the Tobacco road schools lucky and last year was just written off for tax purposes, almost a "mulligan" if you will.

For all those reasons and more I wanna STOMP them REPEATEDLY to show them and their fans that it's NOT a fluke and we will challenge them to the death EVERY year we play them!!

bash.gif

PCB,

If we started beating them a little here and there, I think they'd start to view us as a serious rival. Even Bowden has said that Tech is a "natural rivalry" for FSU. We just need to start beating them some.

If Tobacco Road can do it, Tech damn sure can.

PCB,

I'm from Seminole territory in SW GA, and I HATE FSU. I like Pappa Bowdnen, but I want to beat these guys so badly. My sister is an FSU fan, and she reminds me every fall that we've not beaten FSU since the 70s. I want to beat these guys more than I want to beat UGA. In 2000, these guys came to OUR house and disrespected us by trying to intimidate our guys. We played a whale of a ball game that year, and I really feel that we're going to get them. We'll get them soon, very soon, like, say on November 9.

As bad as this sounds, I was a bit relieved that we didn't beat F$U last year. The season was a let down and let's face it, a win over the Criminoles wouldn't better. Plus, they weren't a top team.

When F$U comes to Atlanta this year, I hope they're undefeated. That way, if and when we beat them, it will be a greater victory. And I hope that they are THE number one team at the team that is steam rolling over everyone and on their way to a National Championship, and we crush it all. Now doesn't that sound like fun?
smile.gif

Its true that we haven't beaten FSU since they turned pro...

We were robbed of a CHANCE to win the 2000 on a horrible call to preserve the status quo by the refs. We were hot and had a better than 1/2 and 1/2 chance of scoring IMHO.

Remember, FSU has a world renowned circus program..

Personally, I don't care if we lose every single game as long as we beat Georgia. God I hate Georgia...

I too want to smack, beat and disgrace F$U. 2000 we were robbed by the no call but that happens especially with some ACC officials.

I would consider the season a great success if we were victorious over UGAg, F$U and Clempson's. To me these are RIVALS and must be ELIMINATED this year.

jump.gif

Yes, yes, yes. Ten in a row is too much. We can't dump F$U from the schedule like we did with Auburn in '88 after nine in a row, either. Surrender is not the way. The streak must end.
drinking.gif

The no-call in 2000 didn't cost us that game. It
cost us our CHANCE to win. We still would have
had to put the ball in the endzone.

Having said that, I want to beat FSU worse than
any other team we'll play this season. I want to
beat them here in 2002 and then again in 2003 at
Tally. We need to beat them while Bobby is there
so that we can say we did it. After he is gone
the win won't feel the same.

Back