Anybody understand the rationale in....

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Drafting Eli Manning then trading him for a lower round QB pick? They could have just drafted the other guy first. Think Eli told them he didn't want to play in San Diego?

Huh? They got a 3rd round pick this year, and a 1st & 5th round next year. I'd say they did pretty well with that trade.

[ QUOTE ]
Think Eli told them he didn't want to play in San Diego?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read your whole post. I take it this was a joke?

Archie was fairly vocal that it wasn't worth even the money for Eli to play for SD. Didn't want his son to play for a loser team like he had to.

SD drafted him anyway, then got a lucrative offer from the Giants.

It's been the first thing I've seen that made me question whether I sould like Eli - always have until this and still mostly do.

I'm gonna pull for ACC man Phillip Rivers to smoke Eli though. He didn't whine, he's from the ACC, and he beat us as a freshman. I like Rivers now that we don't have to play him.

I am a fan of Phillip also, Seems like he was at NCSU for 10 years and I hated playing him fearing he would pick us apart like he did every other team. But watching him play you could see his heart and the passion he had for the game of football. Good luck Mr. Rivers do the ACC proud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

No it was not a joke....

What makes you think it was. I have also read elsewhere he told SD up front he didn't want them to draft him. I haven't seen any of the details on the trade you alude too, but if its true, then SD was pretty crafty...

Re: No it was not a joke....

I don't like the precedent that this represents. If you are the best player available in the draft, you go to the worst team...its been that way for decades. All of a sudden, a Manning starts whining, and he gets to hand pick his team.
Don't forget that earlier this off-season, a similar situation occured when Terrell Owens decided that he REALLY didn't want to play for Baltimore, a team he was contractually obliged to. So they traded him to the Eagles, where Owens is happy as a clam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crybaby.gif

But it\'s not a precedent.

This is nowhere near the first time it's happened. The most famous is probably John Elway but there have been a number of examples mentioned in the past week.

Elway

You are right... Elway was drafted by the Colts (I think it was the Colts) and refused to play for them. He was later traded to Denver.

Re: Elway

The only difference was that he could've gone and played pro baseball. Eli would've just taken the year off.

Eli actually won at Ole Miss this year. If he can win there, I think he could win in San Diego. Phillip Rivers is certainly not the answer to the Chargers problems.

Anyone know what NC State's conference records were in the 4 years that Rivers was there? 4-4, 4-4, 5-3, 4-4. Doesn't sound like someone I'd build my franchise around. I hope he surprises me, but I seriously doubt it.

I dont remember that well but the NCSU program wasn't much before rivers got there, and wherever they are now I know they are a better team than the year before his arrival. Also Manning only made 1 bowl game in 3 seasons, Rivers was 4-0 even if they wern't big that still says a lot.

The Chargers got a much better deal out of this than the Colts did out of the Elway trade. He threatened to go play baseball if Baltimore didn't trade him.

Back