Anyone Know Our Record The Two Years After We Converted Out Of The Pepper Rodgers Wishbone?

Techbert

Dodd-Like
That 1981 win was pretty special though. Beat #2 Alabama who actually finished number 2
Actually, and I say this only for accuracy, Bama was #2 when we played them and I believe they finished 7th. At least in the AP.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Agreed. Just like Bobby Ross' reliance on the option explains Bill Lewis' failures. But hey, at least the option won us a national championship. Seems a fair trade.
Does it explain BLs failure really?

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Before my time but I thought Pepper was a really good recruiter?

My intuition was Curry/Lewis/Johnson were the modern coaches who left less talent than they found at Tech with Johnson being the most egregious violator.

Techbert

Dodd-Like

My intuition was Curry/Lewis/Johnson were the modern coaches who left less talent than they found at Tech with Johnson being the most egregious violator.
He was, but the wishbone charm was fading while he was here.

His 1975 class is probably the best GT recruiting class in history.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein

Eh, our recruiting budget under Bobinski stunk. FB and BB sank.

CPJ wasn’t a great recruiter, but there are a lot of moving parts in college football. CPJ’s biggest failure was working the donors. CGC seems much better there, but he has some headwinds there. Balancing the old Tech mentality with the upbeat, have fun message he sales to athletes is going to be tough without more wins.

rain

Dodd-Like
He was, but the wishbone charm was fading while he was here.

His 1975 class is probably the best GT recruiting class in history.
Pepper switched out of wishbone at least by the year that ELI was a senior. I guess 78 or 79. Had the talent to run Power I (was it?) with Kelley and Ivery. So the year he switched he went 7-4 and lost in the Peach Bowl to Purdue. (Ivery was hurt and did not play in bowl I don’t think)
The next year (79?) I think we went 5-6?
Then Curry came to town.

Last edited:

rain

Dodd-Like

Meh... Pepper didn’t leave much- his recruiting had tailed off.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Pepper switched out of wishbone at least by the year the ELI was a senior. I guess 78 or 79. Had the talent to run Power I (was it?) with Kelley and Ivery. So the year he switched he went 7-4 and lost in the Peach Bowl to Purdue. (Ivery was hurt and did not play in bowl I don’t think)
The next year (79?) I think we went 5-6?
Then Curry came to town.
This is all true, or close.

I think we started the 1979 Georgia game by coming out in the bone, to throw them off.

My point is still (close to) valid, as Pepper and the team had real option DNA in them, and Curry did not.