Are We Getting Left Behind?

The Jacket

The Coat
Athlon Sports' 2003 ACC Football Annual is coming out soon. This year, it's main focus is the "Rise of the ACC." It claims that North Carolina State, Maryland and Virginia are the conference's new "Elite." It also poses the question of whether Florida $tate is losing it's grip. But what question interested me is the one of whether Tech and Clemson are getting left behind.

I know that the past two years have been off for both teams, but are we being left behind? Or will we soon get back on the ball and up top in the ACC where we belong? Do you think Maryland, NC State and UVA are the new elite? Do you think Florida State is losing it's grip? All opinions are welcome.

I'll tell you after this season is over. I was not pleased with last season, but it is possible most of last year's problems may be gone, and we could have a good year.

drinking.gif

We have certaintly been out recruited by those schools over the past few years. I think this year is crucial to the future of Georgia Tech football. If we have another season like last year, we'll more than likely be at the port waiting on the ACC ship to come in while the rest of the conference is at the airport.

drinking.gif
Win or lose, we drink the booze!

I dont think there is any question that Maryland and Virginia are on the rise. Maryland returns more lettermen than anyone this year (59 I think) and will have one of the best offensive backfields in college football... but Virginia scares me more than they do.. dont be surprised if Virginia is a Top 10 team in 2004..

I could be wrong, but I think NC State is overrated... They have good talent coming back this year, and Amato is a confident coach who has done some good things there, but I am not sold on them yet...

I actually believe that we began getting "Left behind" in when Friedgen left.. I think we began getting left behind when we signed kids that couldnt make it academically at Tech.. and last year didnt help...

I am probably in the same camp as Ahso... the 2003 season will answer alot of questions for me..

The quality is definitely on the rise in the ACC. GT is on the rise too. UVA, UMD, and NCSt are on the rise. FSU is losing its grip on the top spot, but it too has resumed its rise once again. Clemp's son is holding steady. WF and Duke is on the rise. NC alone is sliding. Are we getting left behind? No. What will it take for us to have a good season, i.e. for us to enter the top 2 or 3 of the conference? 1. Our QB develops quickly, and 2. The injury bug goes somewhere else.

These are just my opinions.

The most important player on a fball team is the QB......Our inability to either recruit the right ones or coach those sucessfully is the main reason for our record in the last few yrs.
With Joe Ham and Godsey blooming into exceptional college QBs we won and won big.Last yr we imploded with sub QB play.Put Suggs on the '99 team and you have a 6-5 record.Put Joe on '02 and you have a 9-3 team.tell me this isn't the truth.
In the meantime ,we need to moniter the recruiting of Offensive linemen.In the last 2 yrs we signed 5 at most(depending on positioning).None of these will be called super-prospects.This is where you will see a drop off soon and no QB can overcome a weak and porous Off line.Time will tell.
imho

Originally posted by AlaGold:
The most important player on a fball team is the QB......Our inability to either recruit the right ones or coach those sucessfully is the main reason for our record in the last few yrs.
With Joe Ham and Godsey blooming into exceptional college QBs we won and won big.Last yr we imploded with sub QB play.Put Suggs on the '99 team and you have a 6-5 record.Put Joe on '02 and you have a 9-3 team.tell me this isn't the truth.
In the meantime ,we need to moniter the recruiting of Offensive linemen.In the last 2 yrs we signed 5 at most(depending on positioning).None of these will be called super-prospects.This is where you will see a drop off soon and no QB can overcome a weak and porous Off line.Time will tell.
imho
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Alagold,

Another perspective, at the college level, Offensive Lines make a lot of running backs and quarterbacks look good. We have been blessed with some very, very good linemen. Except for injuries mid-way thru last season, last year's team was no exception. Granted, a good quarterback will make the most of the added time to pick his receiver and when the time isn't there won't throw up a turkey for anyone to catch....

I'll split the difference with you Alagold. You are dead on about QB play. In my memory, Tech has never had a good year in football when we did not have outstanding QB play. When our QBs are mediocre or poor that's how we end up. We just don't have the beef to overcome an average QB like some schools can.

As for linemen, we certainly could use more, but I also never remember us recruiting the 4-5 star studs. We have usually had solid line play but it's by taking those 2-3 star guys and teaching them how to play. We haven't recruiting too may Nat's in my memory. Our line right now seems about what we normally have IMO, they have a chance to be real good, or a few injuries could sink us.

Back