Are we stil GEORGIA Tech??

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
As a point of information I have complied enrollemnt figures from GT IRP Fact Book 2002

7,339 Georgians out of 10,867 Undergraduates
This is an obvious refutation of Texstingers claim that Clough is making Tech a home for "Ivy League rejects" and not for Georgians.

Now If you'd like to discuss the pool of academically viable athletes from the state of Georgia, that's probably a different story, because outside of Metro Atlanta. Education in the state is little more than reading, writing, and here's what your daddy did.

State Total Students
Alaska 3
Alabama 192
Arizona 11
Arkansas 28
California 81
Colorado 36
Connecticut 55
Delaware 10
Florida 661
Georgia 7339
Hawaii 3
Idaho 4
Illinois 53
Indiana 14
Iowa 9
Kansas 16
Kentucky 71
Louisiana 103
Maine 6
Maryand 121
Mass. 74
Michigan 36
Minnesota 15
Mississippi 32
Missouri 29
Montana 2
Nebraska 7
Nevada 6
New Hamp. 19
New Jersey 107
New Mexico 5
New York 147
North Carolina 195
North Dakota 0
Ohio 89
Oklahoma 13
Oregon 8
Pennsyl. 128
Rhode Island 21
South Carolina 177
South Dakota 3
Tenn. 234
Texas 226
Utah 6
Vermont 3
Virginia 199
Washington 17
West Virginia 11
Wisconsin 9
Wyoming 0

Anyone who can't oversee a first-class athletic program along with a first class academic program ought to be fired right out into the real world - the two aren't mutually exclusive.

FW...
Define "first class academic program"

Is it MIT, Caltech, Ivy League?

or

Michigan, Berkeley, Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt?

Michigan is an uproar over the booster scandal, but won 10 football games
Berkeley had their first winning season since 1996
Northwestern won 3 football games
Stanford won 2 football games

MIT and CalTech play D3
the IVYies are in IAA

Our academics fit with Group 1, our athletics fit with Group 2.
Doesn't appear that there is a perfect fit.
IF we can pull it off, we'd be the only one doing it.

What if these are the growing pains to being
first class in both academics and athletics?

Exactly, GTg8r. If it can be done, it will be us. Plus, this is an opportunity to kick the door to change wide open. Without some bit of a crisis, we would just end up with cosmetic changes. There is going to be some school which is best in academics, another which is best in sports, and perhaps a third which is best in the combination. Now, it is time for us to make GT the only school whose combo is best in both areas.

We need press for the top spot. Otherwise, we are just admitting that we cannot reach the top spot.

Can never-will never as group1. It is impossible especially with a narrow curiculum!!Now let's see we need to sign 3dls who weigh 300 lbs and can run a 5 sec. 40 and we need 3 de and olb who weigh 260 and can run a 4.5 40. and each with a 1300 minimum sat or a 21 act with a 3.8 gpa. It ain't gone happen. Wake up folks this your money you donate, this is your time and trouble getting to Atl fighting traffic and parking, this is your team who needs help. You folks reading this board or you folks making a decision on what ought to be done are fooling yourselves if think you can be ivy and bcs too. If things aren't eased up your athletic dept. will go broke. Nobody cheers a looser much less supports it with money and their presence. Sure these students didn't get it, but how close were they? Were they close enough to have given a little help or did that new ncaa formula catch up with em? Even if if they were not THAT close the support staff obviously did not communicate the problem to whoever! Chan may not have understood or was duped. All I know is that Chan DID NOT have his interest looked after! Blame Braine, Clod,Moore, or some nerd alumni; but something will have to change and fast!

Originally posted by techrod:
All I know is that Chan DID NOT have his interest looked after! Blame Braine, Clod,Moore, or some nerd alumni; but something will have to change and fast!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Techrod,
I think you're right that Chan's interest weren't looked after.
I'm noncommittal on who's to be blamed in the AA.
I'm steadfast that outside the AA, no one can be blamed.
If you'd like to know who is on the GTAA board of Trustees it's available on the IRP website.
One member of each academic college, three general alumni, and two students.

George Broadnax is an honorary member.
Be careful how you throw around the "nerd" designation....that epithet usually comes from the lowest denominator of our state.

To me a nerd is someone who is grad. and hopes for the worst of the athlettes and the team. For clarification purposes only!

To me a nerd is someone who is grad. and hopes for the worst of the athlettes and the team. For clarification purposes only!

Originally posted by techrod:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Interesting definition....

Reminds me of a book I just read about the University of Chicago's decision to drop football in 1939.

The President wrote several national articles about the evils of football, then when UC lost to Beloit College, the student body joined him and there went the "Monsters of the Midway".

However in 1991, his assistant VP stated in interview that everything that was ever special about Chicago was lost in that single press release. Students never cared, the city never cared, and it became a much darker place.

I think Tech avoided this in 1980 when Homer Rice took over. We are too far entrenched to head down that road again.

GT98r, I appreciate your reply and agree except the last statement. Your memory is right in the fact we ALMOST lost the program. However I beg todiffer only in that we could loose it still!

GTg8r, thanks for the info. However I was not claiming clough is trying to make GT a home for ivy league rejects, I was referring to a letter to the editor in the paper. However, my recall tells me that our AD said we can only recruit 9 of 50 top S/A's in Georgia. That is a situation that needs to change. If the state has deemed it proper to teach children "to do it how your daddy did it" then that is how we fall in line because GT is a STATE OF GEORGIA UNIVERSITY. We should all do what we can to see that all our students at every level are exposed to the best education possible but if we want to remain part of this state system, and receive money from the taxpayers of this state, then we need to service this state and that includes the S/A's. Otherwise let us drop out of the state system and become a private university such as vandy or puke. Anyone have a suggestion how to rename GT?

Back