AT Funding

wgjacket

Varsity Lurker
I have been giving to the AT fund for the last 18 years and as I always send a check before the New Year for tax purposes, but for a myriad of reasons I am having second thoughts on contributing. I am not a large contributor, usually I am in the Dodd circle, but I do not see a reason to give my money away any more to this atheletic department. The following are the reasons and please give me an argument because I would like to see the error in my ways.

I. Football Program

Coaching
I will not go into the ability of Gailey, because I gave money during Curry and Lewis and they were both terrible. Gailey has not sign a buyout clause in his contract and O Leary still owe 1 million from his. How can I help support a coach salary when he has such a low regard for a contract. I sorry the business that I am we stand by our written contract.

Ticketing
I now live 420 miles from Georgia Tech and therefore getting season tickets are not feasible.
I do try to get to at least one-two games a year. With by season ticket package I can buy single game ticket but never to Clemson, FSU, Geaorgia and I am sure this year Auburn. I have call people at the AT and they said this helps on season tickets base and if I really were a Tech fan I would just buy a whole season ticket package to support old MA Tech. Unfortunately they do not mind selling these tickets to the opposition, so therefore any homefield advantage is diminished. This year I went to the VAndy and Duke game and picked up tickets for $5 from scalpers at the gate. If I decided to go to Auburn I could buy tickets from scalpers at double of the cost and it would still be much less than my AT fund.

Bowl Travel
Every bowl game we bring every hanger on to the game and puts in top notch accomendations. When I am road on business travel I stay at Hamptons/Courtyards. Obviously I need the money more than our travelling party.

Basketball
Coaching
Bobby CRemins saved Ga Tech atheletics in the 1980's and I felt we treated a member of our family rather shabbily. I bought in the Homer Rice total person concept and I thought that we should of treated Bobby with more respect.

Ticketing
Same as football, getting single tickets in advance is impossible.

Crowd support
The Tenn. game was the worst attended Ga Tech basketball since the Morrison days. I have nothing against Hewitt, but from 400 miles away there seem to be no spark at Ga TEch basketball games. The Thrillerdome nickname is a joke and I have not seen golden arches and other corporations logos on any other collegiate floor.
Someone in the AT must address the apathy in the basketball program.

It is nice that we have been succesful in volleyball, golf and baseball, but lets face it the two premier sports are football and basketball and I do not feel as an AT member that I get any benefit for my dollar.

Well, if I do not give this upcoming year it would be because I have proof that we let O'L skate on his obligation to us. As for CB I am not 100% sold at this moment, but he has to be given a chance. Remember, too, that DB wanted TO'B. I do not think that BC was treated shabbily in anyway or fashion. Every time he was contacted about other jobs, we stepped up to the plate. When he did the usc reversal we took him back, granted that was our bad. DB redid his contract to keep BC at GT, and Bobby still would not recruit more than 1 player a year. He was not treated bad by any means.

I'm bitter about seeing all those Ga. flags in the ATL so...
How can I help support a coach salary when he has such a low regard for a contract.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Does it matter that Gailey's stated intention for not requesting/accepting a buyout clause was because he had no intent to leave?? Buyouts are to protect the Athletic Department and discourage potential suitors. In the grand scheme it's better that there is no buyout because Gailey's firing has no strings attached

if I really were a Tech fan I would just buy a whole season ticket package to support old MA Tech.Unfortunately they do not mind selling these tickets to the opposition, so therefore any homefield advantage is diminished.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">They're right because you'd look beyond "I only want to see these games", to the fact the$30 dollars a ticket funds more than just your 3 hours in a metal seat . Football pays for everything in college sports. If you want a Top 10 program, you ought to expect to pay for it. Especially, if it was run into the ground over 25 yrs. ago. Tech Athletics completely restarted in 80-83. Don't believe me? I just read Homer Rice's memoir about being AD. We didn't have an athletic progam after 1975, because football tickets were 4 dollars and 100 people gave to the A-T fund.
Obviously I need the money more than our travelling party.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm guessing you don't subscribe to the "Bowl game is a reward" philosophy. I'm sure our "traveling party" could all stay at a Holiday Inn, if the Bowl Organising Committees did't have their own deals with local business. There are certain activities expected out of a major college football program Maryland is going to catch total hell from the Peach Bowl for requesting more tickets and not selling them. Imagine if Debbie Yow decided only the team, no trainers, no managers, no sports information staff, no drivers, no security were going to show up. Are you going to tell the President, Million Dollar Booster, State Legislator, Board of Trustees to not come to the bowl game, because they cost too much. Man, Consequences and Repercussions!!! Bottom line if you're going to play major college football you have to act the part

Basketball
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">When Hewitt starts losing with at-risk athletes he will be ushered out the door as well. I started school with Stephon and his ilk. There's a reason we only went dancing once.

Someone in the AT must address the apathy in the basketball program
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Apathy at our games is the result of people who refuse to build there leisure schedule around GT athletics. If you want energy and excitement at Tech games, then
1. you show up when you can and scream your head off
2. laugh/smile when we do something right.
3. Squirm/worry/scream some more when things aren't going so hot
4. Stand up and clap as soon as that horn goes off and thank those players for giving their best that day regardless of what color they're wearing.

As for the Tenn. game: Are you from Georgia? Are you from Dixie? This is a FOOTBALL state. If you want to see a basketball gym packed and loud and rabid, Kentucky/Louisville, Kentucky/Indiana are held every year and those tickets are available to the public outside of a season ticket package.

If you only want a football and basketball team to support ATL has plenty of crapy professional teams.
College Athletics are about entire programs. Great Athletes associate with Great Athletes regardless of their sport. To get them at your school, you've got to fund them till it hurts.

So write out your AT check or say hello 1980.!!

wgjacket,
I am very outspoken when it comes to things at GT that I don't like. But I will ALWAYS financially support the school and the AA because it is my Alma Mater. Every alumnus should help their school as much as they can.
Having said that, the O'Leary matter must be resolved quickly, with O'Leary paying Tech the full amount. Anything less than that sends a very bad message to all contributors. The longer it is left unresolved, more financial damage is done.
I would encourage you, and everyone, to write Braine and the head coaches when you have questions and concerns. They should always know what the fanbase is thinking.
BOO

wg, I was all set to encourage you to continue, but as of reading this morn's AJC in regards to Gailey's absurd comment, maybe you should hold off until there is an explanation for such a comment. THWG

I give money to AT and I got my JD from Ugag and BS from Ga Southern. NUFF SAID

I believe you vote w/ your dollar and if you dont like the product then dont give. Hopefully I can move a few rows closer on my season tickets when you stop.

With regard to CG's comments I guess you are talking about Suggs the starter. I think he is just giving a vote of confidence b/c he has NO other horses in the stable. After the Macon article last week talking about how Bilbo could not learn the offense I think it is pretty much a done deal that Bilbo aint the future.

Hopefully, Pena can get in here in Jan and make some strides so we can at least do a 2 qb system.

One thing to consider is that our first two games are with Auburn and BYU. We will know immediately where we stand and all HELL will break lose if we do not perform well.

Back