Athlon Preview

Nice, fair writeup. Builds excitement per progress and competitiveness, even with a tough schedule.

Hopefully, we get to play.

*did i mention offensive line play?

Not enough.

I'd just add having the gears fit better on both offense and defense. We are really close to a good defense (just need more speed at LB), and we are getting the parts on offense. We just need to get the work in to play together within scheme. Losing the spring hurts us more than most.

Barring bad injury issues, the OL play will definitely be better. Just not sure if it will result in more wins, considering our schedule.

Decent article, except they did not mention Gleason and said Yates would get a look. I have to think Gleason gets a closer look than Yates. In fact, I would assume it's a three-way race with JG, TG, and JS.

I think we will look better getting off the bus and that's about it. If we play a full schedule, I see Tech winning three or four. UNC, Miami, Notre Dame, UGA, Clemson, UCF will all be in or near the top 25. I don't see us winning any of those games. Out of Virginia Tech, UVA, Pitt, and Duke maybe two or three. IIWII

I think we will look better getting off the bus and that's about it. If we play a full schedule, I see Tech winning three or four. UNC, Miami, Notre Dame, UGA, Clemson, UCF will all be in or near the top 25. I don't see us winning any of those games. Out of Virginia Tech, UVA, Pitt, and Duke maybe two or three. IIWII

While the schedule is difficult and your prediction on wins may be spot on, I also expect to see a big increase in quality of play on the field. OL play will be better, expect to see better QB play (due in part to OL), new FG kickers, 1 year of experience in the system for everybody and lots of returning game experience. Of course this assumes there will be FB in the fall.

If D'Eriq King proves to be the answer to Miami's long-time QB woes, then yeah that game will be a tough out. If he is a bad fit or gets hurt, then it's just as winnable as last year. UNC has a great QB and always has great talent but I can never convince myself it's an impossible win. Maybe it's that UNC on the side of the helmet? UCF is good but we can win that game 40% of the time. ND, UGA and Clemson are <0.001% win chance for us so I'd call those the only guaranteed L's on the schedule. We have a puncher's chance at 6-6.

If D'Eriq King proves to be the answer to Miami's long-time QB woes, then yeah that game will be a tough out. If he is a bad fit or gets hurt, then it's just as winnable as last year. UNC has a great QB and always has great talent but I can never convince myself it's an impossible win. Maybe it's that UNC on the side of the helmet? UCF is good but we can win that game 40% of the time. ND, UGA and Clemson are <0.001% win chance for us so I'd call those the only guaranteed L's on the schedule. We have a puncher's chance at 6-6.
I dunno about that. A puncher's chance implies having an offense to actually punch, in other words being able to put faith in the offense to score more often than not. We had a puncher's chance most years running the 3O because it limited possessions to where even if we were down it was still a one or two score game. We have to find something on that side of the ball that works in the transition or the defense will keep getting beat up like last year.

I dunno about that. A puncher's chance implies having an offense to actually punch, in other words being able to put faith in the offense to score more often than not. We had a puncher's chance most years running the 3O because it limited possessions to where even if we were down it was still a one or two score game. We have to find something on that side of the ball that works in the transition or the defense will keep getting beat up like last year.
We upgraded several positions on offense during the offseason, including new players and some coming off injury. If you want to believe the offense will perform the same, that's your choice, but I disagree.

We upgraded several positions on offense during the offseason, including new players and some coming off injury. If you want to believe the offense will perform the same, that's your choice, but I disagree.
I don't remember giving an opinion on the offense performing the same as it did last year so I'll point out the strawman. I indicated that the offense needs to be reliable to have a "puncher's chance", not simply to just be better than it was last season. I do believe it will be better.

priorities for a successful season, improvement in the following five areas:

1. offensive line
2. offensive line
3. offensive line*
4. pass rush
5. qb play

*did i mention offensive line play?
We averaged just 264 lbs on the LOS?

Last year we all knew was going to be rough. What were you expecting? I expected exactly what we got. My expectations are higher this year as the talent upgrades alone will improve the offense (have you watched Jahmry Gibbs video or the two young QBs coming in?). Yes, our offense will have punch. If Graham is good enough to hold off one of the two young guns then we are in good shape there. The OL transfers will be instant upgrades and the two classes that Collins has recruited are HUGE 6'5+ guys with frames to put on big time weight and strength.

So yes, I believe we will have a punchers chance in all games but the three obvious ones. If we ran a simulation, we'd probably average 4 wins but a couple good bounces could certainly have us at 6-6. I cant see 7-5 or better but 5-7 or 6-6 would be a successful 2nd year of GC's tenure.

Last year we all knew was going to be rough. What were you expecting? I expected exactly what we got. My expectations are higher this year as the talent upgrades alone will improve the offense (have you watched Jahmry Gibbs video or the two young QBs coming in?). Yes, our offense will have punch. If Graham is good enough to hold off one of the two young guns then we are in good shape there. The OL transfers will be instant upgrades and the two classes that Collins has recruited are HUGE 6'5+ guys with frames to put on big time weight and strength.

So yes, I believe we will have a punchers chance in all games but the three obvious ones. If we ran a simulation, we'd probably average 4 wins but a couple good bounces could certainly have us at 6-6. I cant see 7-5 or better but 5-7 or 6-6 would be a successful 2nd year of GC's tenure.
I agree 5+ wins would be a successful year

It's all about the OL though. Talent at the other positions won't amount to much if that group isnt many times better than last year. The new recruits may be huge but they'll still be freshmen. The real decider there will be how much the people already here improve and if we avoid the injuries to OL we had last year (pretty likely on that part, given that last year was insane in that regard).

I like your optimism but I don't agree with it. This is as difficult a schedule as any Tech has had in a very long time. I can see the first five games going 1-4 at which point, the wheels may very well come off. I still see four wins max. Pessimistic but at least not many people will be watching.

I like your optimism but I don't agree with it. This is as difficult a schedule as any Tech has had in a very long time. I can see the first five games going 1-4 at which point, the wheels may very well come off. I still see four wins max. Pessimistic but at least not many people will be watching.
Realistic expectations is not pessimism. I had 5-6 wins as our ceiling if the ball bounces our way so a 4-win ceiling is not terribly far off from this.

Probably won't play any games this year but if we do, look for another year like last year. We just don't have the horses to be really good. I'm hoping we can show some improvement, if not, then you got to start questioning the Collins hire. I hope I am wrong about all of this, but that is just where my head is right now.

Go Jackets!

Probably won't play any games this year but if we do, look for another year like last year. We just don't have the horses to be really good. I'm hoping we can show some improvement, if not, then you got to start questioning the Collins hire. I hope I am wrong about all of this, but that is just where my head is right now.

Go Jackets!
Say it ain’t so Jerry...

Back