Attendance?

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
The ACC website lists the attendance at yesterday's game as 11,000, and that seems about right judging from the empty stadium.

The clash with Duke should pit two terrible teams against each other with no one watching.

I've been to scrimmages that brought in almost that many. Even the students were out doing other things.

When the program is in dire straights financially I do not see how this can go on much longer. This coaching staff has clearly driven the program off the cliff. The sooner we clean house the sooner we can get on with trying to start over.

No way it was 11k. Bottom bowl was full from what I could see except for the God forsaken south stands. UE and UN looked like crap though. I couldn’t see UW.

No way it was 11k. Bottom bowl was full from what I could see except for the God forsaken south stands. UE and UN looked like crap though. I couldn’t see UW.
There should be a chop house type operation in the south. Season ticket holders only

There should be a chop house type operation in the south. Season ticket holders only
Been saying that for years. My other idea is to move the club section over there and make it chop house style seating. That also kills the problem of empty yellow seats on tv and puts more boisterous fans behind the other team’s bench. Oh and close the seating area under the stands while the game is being played so that people have their asses in their seats and not sitting in ac dicking around while prime seats are empty.

The ACC website lists the attendance at yesterday's game as 11,000, and that seems about right judging from the empty stadium.

The clash with Duke should pit two terrible teams against each other with no one watching.

I've been to scrimmages that brought in almost that many. Even the students were out doing other things.

When the program is in dire straights financially I do not see how this can go on much longer. This coaching staff has clearly driven the program off the cliff. The sooner we clean house the sooner we can get on with trying to start over.

36,383 was the official attendance. Sounds about right based on what I saw. Surely you’re not dumb enough to think there were 11K there?

I do agree that we’re approaching a point of no return where we have driven off all the casual fans and start driving off the hardcore fans, which will put us into a downward spiral in terms of finances and performance.

JRjr

Been saying that for years. My other idea is to move the club section over there and make it chop house style seating. That also kills the problem of empty yellow seats on tv and puts more boisterous fans behind the other team’s bench. Oh and close the seating area under the stands while the game is being played so that people have their asses in their seats and not sitting in ac dicking around while prime seats are empty.
We need about 10 rows of students behind the opposing team from the 40 to the 40. Tier up the level above that for ST holders.

Sell the chophouse tix to season ticket holders only. Open it 2 hours+ prior to the game. Get me sauced up. Have strippers there. My girlfriend and I get into an argument. That stripper has a NAME! It's Candy. You're just jealous. Candy is trying to pay her way through Georgia State, I am just helping her with tuition. Urban Meyer does it and he has won a Natty! Where you going babe? Wait, don't be like that! Honey! No, not you stripper Honey (here, have $5), I was calling my girlfriend Honey - the one walking out over there........

Maybe the chophouse isn't a good idea for me

I already attended the only game I’m going to this year, the NIU game. I planned on going to more games but the NIU game has been difficult to forget about. I know you’re supposed to support your team no matter what but I don’t like spending my money to make myself miserable. I would never buy expensive stock in a company that I know has a really good chance of tanking the next day.

36,383 was the official attendance. Sounds about right based on what I saw. Surely you’re not dumb enough to think there were 11K there?

I do agree that we’re approaching a point of no return where we have driven off all the casual fans and start driving off the hardcore fans, which will put us into a downward spiral in terms of finances and performance.

JRjr
Tech will simply raise the ticket prices to milk the dying fanbase. The next step is home & homes with lower tier programs like GA State to avoid buy games

I already attended the only game I’m going to this year, the NIU game. I planned on going to more games but the NIU game has been difficult to forget about. I know you’re supposed to support your team no matter what but I don’t like spending my money to make myself miserable. I would never buy expensive stock in a company that I know has a really good chance of tanking the next day.
Don't be like that. Come back! We miss you! Whyyyyyyyyyy?¿????

That is a ridiculous analogy. You buy stock because you expect it to increase in value. Giving money to your favorite football team is not the same thing.

The only way a team can get better is to have supporters backing it, providing the funding necessary to hire staff, etc, etc.

You withholding your support because you are too immature to know how to handle your favorite team losing is just silly. And our fan base is just borderline ridiculous. Look at South Carolina or Kentucky. They’ve never had consistent success, but their fans fill up their stadium for every game.

Why do we have so many whiny little bitch fans?

JRjr
I'm also not dumb enough to believe there were 36,000 there. No matter how many were actually there, it wasn't good and it is indicative of a dying organization.

36K seems about right, maybe a bit too high. In the UE though, attendance seems to be slipping with each passing game. In 222 we have fewer fans than we did two years ago, and several familiar faces that I’ve gotten to know over the years apparently didn’t re-up after the pandemic.

I concur with the south end zone -do something with it. And I guess it’s pointless to continue to harp on the club seats. I’ve sat in club a few times over the years, it’s nice having beer and wine but get your drinks and get back in your seats ffs.

We need about 10 rows of students behind the opposing team from the 40 to the 40. Tier up the level above that for ST holders.

Sell the chophouse tix to season ticket holders only. Open it 2 hours+ prior to the game. Get me sauced up. Have strippers there. My girlfriend and I get into an argument. That stripper has a NAME! It's Candy. You're just jealous. Candy is trying to pay her way through Georgia State, I am just helping her with tuition. Urban Meyer does it and he has won a Natty! Where you going babe? Wait, don't be like that! Honey! No, not you stripper Honey (here, have $5), I was calling my girlfriend Honey - the one walking out over there........

Maybe the chophouse isn't a good idea for me
I agree except the students part behind the visiting team. That will likely embolden the other team.

I agree except the students part behind the visiting team. That will likely embolden the other team.
Good, embolden them to be preoccupied with students holding "our future employees" signs and simple math equations with "hey gagger, solve this"

I'm also not dumb enough to believe there were 36,000 there. No matter how many were actually there, it wasn't good and it is indicative of a dying organization.

The saddest part of yesterday's game was how empty the stadium looked on TV. I remember when there were waiting lists for Tech season tickets. That ended when Coach Dodd retired. If has slowly gone down ever since. Now, it's just very depressing.

A lot of things contribute to the decline.

- The games take way too long, because of all the commercials.

- There are so many games on TV. When I was growing up, there was one game on TV every week, for the whole country. Tech would be on once or twice a year during the regular season.

- The whole game experience is built around what's good for TV, not what's convenient for fans. When I was young, all Tech games started at 1:00 or so, I can't remember the exact time. But, I do remember going to games with my father in law. We would eat lunch at his house in Newnan, drive to the game, park at the Coca Cola building, and walk in during the national anthem.

- The whole program was built around what the fans wanted, not what the players and recruits wanted.

- We played teams from within driving distance of Atlanta, so there were lots of visiting fans at most games.

- We were a good and well coached team every week. We won a lot, and we were usually in the games we lost. We were a big time program.

- Grant Field was the place to be. There was a lot of excitement in the air. There weren't so many other things to do.

Times have changed. I've seen parts of a lot of games on TV this year. Very low attendance stands out almost everywhere. It's not just Tech. Football is attracting less people to the games in most places, especially bigger cities. The sport is not healthy. I wonder how TV ratings are doing.

There are not many big time programs any more, in terms of doing good on the field and in the stands. I used to think winning would solve the attendance problem. I'm not even sure about that any more. I think college football is in trouble.

As for our team, it's like riding an elevator. I believe the coaches and players are doing the best they can. All I hope for this year is that they improve, play good every other week and win six games. Those are my goals, not my expectations. We looked good two weeks in a row. Then, we looked bad yesterday. That's probably the best we can do. Our 2-3 record is about what we are. This game with Duke is very big for this season. The game will be played like a bunch of people in the witness protection program getting some exercise, because there won't be anybody there. But, if we win, we'll be 3-3 and in contention for a mediocre season, which would be unexciting but a step up. If we lose, it'll be bad. I figure we've got a 50-50 chance.

Back