Auburn & Georgia

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Auburn made the ultimate mistake. They tried to keep from losing the game rather than trying to win the game. It is generally a losing strategy.

rolleyes.gif

A HELLUVA ball game!

Speaking of Hades, I was thinking when I saw a big bank of UGA shakers, "If Hell had a football team, their colors would be red and black."

prevent offense!

prevents urself from moving the ball.. and gives another chance to the other team.

we're playing prevent offense in 2nd halves too when we have big leads.

awbarn was playing prevent offense with like a 4 pt lead .. just stupid .. they deserved to lose

Nail on head ahso. Campbell was lighting em up in first half and then Tubby comes out in a shell the entire 2nd half. Everyone saw tonite how we could beat ugag....that is with an even better version of Campbell! Two weeks could allow for this, but we won't even consider it. Sad. THWG

The killer was Brown running out of bounds with 2 mins left. Ga only has 2 timeouts & that means the clock would've kept running on 1 of their plays & eaten another 45-50 secs of clock to tighten the noose.
Burns burned us last yr vs Md by doing the same thing, only we were in an even better situation than Aub.
Don't they teach the college guys to understand that when U are running clock at the end of a game & the other team doesn't have TOs, U never, ever run out of bounds. Jeepers, these 20 yr olds.

Agree with all of you. Tuberville gave that game away. He must have had tremendous faith in his defense. And don't they have another punter? I know that Duval is a good kicker but when you screw up 2 in a row, don't you give your second guy a chance? David Greene eats the blitz for lunch and Auburn just kept blitzing leaving fewer and fewer men in coverage. Amazing.

What really hurt Auburn more than TT's play-calling was the injuries in their backfield to Ronnie Brown and Brandon Johnson. After those guys got hurt, their O came to a grinding halt.

Also, Campbell just isn't that good of a passer at this point in his career. He can't carry a team to victory when they need it.

I agree with all of you that Tuberville got out coached, but I can also see why he tried to run the ball in the 2nd half with an 11 point lead. Running game has been their bread and butter all year and it was working against UGA, and Campbell threw 2 interceptions in the 1st half. I wouldn't trust him either.

I have to agree with everything that everyone has said with one addition. The DB that got burned for the winning score, was more worried about trash talking than he was making a play. Ultimately, the 2nd half game planning spelled the Auburn demise. I hope our coaching staff pulls that plan out of the play book and throws it as far away as it can.

If you got 'em down, you gotta keep 'em down. I think people are too worried about the payback factor later on. That's the one thing I liked about Spurrier when he was at Florida. The guy never let up and didn't care about what others thought. He put points on the board until the final whistle.

Prevent offense vs prevent defense. When Auburn had the ball back with a minute plus left in the game Georgia went with the prevent defense rushing only 3 down linemen. Auburn did everything they could to score, but Georgia did an excellent job of covering their WR's and at the same time the Dawgs DL was stuffing their line right back into Campbell's face. I couldn't believe how the front three were attack the line. Secondly our DC did an excellent job of blitzing, which caused Campbell to get out of his comfort zone.

The bottom line on this game was this. It was two separate games. Auburn came out and played with serious intensity on defense and kept us from doing the things we wanted to do. Their offense made mistakes, but we weren't able to turn those into points. In the second half the offensive line for Georgia decided it was time to block and Van G made outstanding adjustments to the D. In the second half Greene was able to move the ball and Georgia did NOT give up. In the end Auburn couldn't move the ball (six straight 3 and outs) because Georgia didn't allow them to do the things they wanted to do. See role reversal in the dictionary for further details. In the end I said it would come down to the final posession and that is what happened. Georgia made the play it had to make and Auburn didn't.

Dawgbyte,

The reason Georgia won was because they wanted it more than Auburn. Auburn is a little young and they haven't had to face a fan base that constantly reminds them of 20 years of Championship drought. Plus, an Auburn loss didn't completely knock them out of the SEC-W picture. Georgia, OTOH, knew they absolutely had to win the game. They knew that UF would beat USC and they knew that the only way to go to Atlanta was to beat Auburn. Because of all of that, you guys were just mentally a little tougher than Auburn.

That's my take on the game. All the x's and o's sure accounted for something. But in the end, one team stepped up to make plays when they had to.

2 major things, horrible punting and auburn losing the fullback that was doing the blocking. when that fullback was in there they were running with success and running clock. the player failing to go out of bounds was big but, if the fullback was in the game and the punter wasnt horrible auburn would have still won. game after game uga has had a horshoe , against clemson missed field goals, against alabama rookie qb, against tn rookie qb, against sc fumble on 1 foot line, it just might be theyre year, the ball is bouncing theyre way.

I think the point that this thread is trying to make is that trying to let your defense win the game and killing clock in the second half does not work. its not about auburn vs uga, its about GT, and that that our coaches, i mean coach, is happily employing this losing strategy that auburn used against UGA, and we will continue to lose if we dont play to win.

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
2 major things, horrible punting and auburn losing the fullback that was doing the blocking. when that fullback was in there they were running with success and running clock. the player failing to go out of bounds was big but, if the fullback was in the game and the punter wasnt horrible auburn would have still won. game after game uga has had a horshoe , against clemson missed field goals, against alabama rookie qb, against tn rookie qb, against sc fumble on 1 foot line, it just might be theyre year, the ball is bouncing theyre way.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's true, the loss of that fullback screwed Auburn's running game. They were at least going to trade scores with UGA till that happened.

Auburn blew the game with a little over two minutes to go when they didn't really even try to get a first down. I was certain that if Ugag got the ball back that they would win...which they did.
If Spurrier had been in the same situation as Auburn, he would have been thinking about scoring to seal the game. Surely, Tubby should have thought about a first down or two. He reaped what he sewed.

While in the chat room, I told a few of those there that UGAg would throw an interception, fumble, and that the team who one would score only one more time (Awbarn didn't have to score to win) I was right in everything but thinking UGAg would win, but I'm doing purty good.
SIDE NOTE: As much as I hate the mutts, the War Chickens are no better, so I wasn't THAT disappointed.

Back