Bad news for O'Leary

That's just an unfortunate and sad situation. I doubt it was at the fault of GOL.

You mean bad news for the Plancher family!

I don't think Eric and his family are too concerned about how this impacts George O'Leary. This has happened to a lot of young athletes and I can not remember one coach that lost his job or had his reputation sullied over it.

Sympathies to the young man and his family.

Go Jackets!

sorry guys, i wasnt trying to imply that it was in any way O'Leary's fault. I was just commenting on the fact that besides the tragic situation for the family and freinds of this player, that incidents like this can douse the whole season with negative emotion

i feel for all of the UCF team, staff, and of course the deceased's family

Re: You mean bad news for the Plancher family!

I don't think Eric and his family are too concerned about how this impacts George O'Leary.

maybe not, but since this is a GT message board, and George used to be the coach here, maybe the Georgia Tech fans care how it impacts him...no?

O'Leary does have a prior record of practice injuries that were coach induced, though.

What I don't understand is why aren't teams giving these kids eco cardigrams during physicals?

This can rule out if a player has an enlarged heart or some heart defect and then they can treat it.

My Harrison passed out last year after a stint of hard running and now will have an eco gram to see if he has any problems.

I hate it for George and the UCF program. Just doesn't seem fair to lose these kids at such a young age.

O'Leary does have a prior record of practice injuries that were coach induced, though.

are you talking about the Vaitekunas (sp?) thing, when the guy "got hurt" playing "bull in the ring"

Was that the momma's boy that he showed an example to for missing a blocking assignment? '01ish?

As a cardiologist (and just given a talk on athletic screenings just last month), I am a big believer in the Italian system of screening all high school and above athletes. However, their system is just history and physical and EKG--and then if anything suspicious, echocardiogram. To blindly screen all athletes with an echocardiogram (while cardiologists would be financially better) has not been completely proven. Most cases would be detected by a good H&P and an EKG. There are pro's and con's to all decisions, especially with medical screenings of athletes--often the doctor is considered the "bad guy" by all involved--the coach wants the kid to play, the kid and his parents want him to play, and only the doc is saying no. I could discuss this topic in much more detail if anyone wishes.

As a cardiologist (and just given a talk on athletic screenings just last month), I am a big believer in the Italian system of screening all high school and above athletes. However, their system is just history and physical and EKG--and then if anything suspicious, echocardiogram. To blindly screen all athletes with an echocardiogram (while cardiologists would be financially better) has not been completely proven. Most cases would be detected by a good H&P and an EKG. There are pro's and con's to all decisions, especially with medical screenings of athletes--often the doctor is considered the "bad guy" by all involved--the coach wants the kid to play, the kid and his parents want him to play, and only the doc is saying no. I could discuss this topic in much more detail if anyone wishes.

Thanks Buzz, I personally want Harrison to live. Any advice as he enters 9th grade would be greatly appreciated.

I will be discussing this with my cardiologist who does all the physicals for the Braves as well and hope to get the right advice.

I'm ignorant on a lot of things ( Old Foggy would agree ) but what ever I can do to help my boy would be great.

A young man dying doing what he loves is a tragedy beyond words. I can't even imagine what his family must be going through.

Was that the momma's boy that he showed an example to for missing a blocking assignment? '01ish?

thats the one. "bull in the ring" drill is where one guy is in the middle and the coach calls out a number. the guy in the circle with that number then goes to hit the guy in the middle. the guy in the middle has to be alert to where the 'attack' is coming from and the react to turn, position and hit.

the guy then tried to sue MaTech, i think the suit was later dropped

I'm sure Coach O'Leary and UCF are devastated by this. Not to mention this young man's family. If you think for one moment that GOL is running a slave market down there with no regard for humanity then you are simply a goony bastard.

did you read my comments??? where do you get this? i knew O'Leary and have lots of respect for the man.. why the hate?

Back