Ball Had Us Camden Folks Holding Our Breath...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
at the GA Dome last year. He is a super athlete. On the Hive I saw a post about what happens if Suggs looks the best in practice. I personally think this year we have to put the best athlete on the field. I think Suggs will play when the young QB gets rattled and needs to come to the sideline and get refocused. I think Suggs can be a good leader in those types of situations when the ship needs to be rightened. I also think Ball could win the job by the fourth or fifth game unless the other freshmen is dynamite. Bilbo is a good enough athlete to play in the NFL but not at QB, we would be doing him a favor by moving him to a position he could play in the NFL.

South Georgia Jacket

I completely disagree on Bilbo playing another position. what could he play? He;s too tall to play RB and at his height not nearly big enough. He doesn't have the speed to play WR, since i believe he runs a high 4.6 40. His build would indicate that he could play LB, but the problem there is he has no experience playing D at all.

You guys forget that Bilbo was Gatorade player of the year for the State of MS and was highly touted by everyone coming out of high school. He has eveyr MS state record for passing. You don't put a kid like that at another position.

He didn't come around like we wanted last year. I think a lot of that had to do with immaturity because from what I heard on the grapevine at the Edge building is that Damarius wasn't studying the film or the playbook enough to be handed the starting spot. The coaches, including O'Brien were beating their heads in because the word was, he was just being lazy.

i also heard in a passing conversation that Godsey was asked after the UGA game his senior year if suggs or Bilbo would start the next season. Don't quote me, but the answer he gave went something to the effect of, Suggs wil start because Bilbo was sleeping through QB meetings.
Now i don't know how much of this is true.. it's strictly rumor mill. BUT, I think from the fact that last year, Bilbo seemed to only be capable of running a handful of plays says that some of this is probably true. Where thereis smoke, there is fire.

On the otherhand, i don't think Bilbo was expecting to be counted on to start last year. it's unfortunate that he was not prepared. I do think his whole attitude on what it takes to play a D-1 college QB changed after the Fresno game. And I've liked some of his quotes in the offseason. i am hopeful that his light has finally come on and he will be ready to play, because he has the POTENTIAL to be the best QB we've ever had.

you just don't go putting a guy with his talent at another position just because you see a spark from an incoming frosh.

Now I agree with you about Ball. I live in Savannah and have a lot of family down in Camden. Our farm is there. I heard that he was the best player on the entire team for Stephenson and they were loaded with talent. He could be great too, but it is WAY TOO EARLY to put Bilbo at another position.

Where you from in Camden??

Godsey would probably make a great coach for us someday.

Bilbo has 1st Round NFL skills. I'm not kidding when I say that. He has a perfect build and 1st Round Arm and good mobility. That being said, he has not shown the ability to consistently run an offense. This a not a knock he is still young. However, many smart kids just don't have that "something" it takes to be a great quarterback at the next level.

The kid has all the physical tools to be an NFL QB, he deserves the chance to develop the other part of the game.

I know this is far fetched, considering we don't currently have one quarterback who has mastered a single set of plays, but here is a way to get them both on the field in what could be a very productive fashion. Let's say that Bilbo matures into the kind of pro-type quarterback we know he can be. In the mean time, Ball looks to have the best set of skills to run the option. So Ball and the first team line and backs work some each day in practice running the option. At some point in every game we trot out Ball and throw the option at 'em. Depending on matchups and circumstances, in some games we do it a lot and in others not much. Opposing teams would have to prepare for our option. It would be a great change of pace. And we would have a second quarterback with game experience if anything happened to Bilbo.

Originally posted by Axe:
Bilbo has 1st Round NFL skills. I'm not kidding when I say that. He has a perfect build and 1st Round Arm and good mobility. That being said, he has not shown the ability to consistently run an offense. This a not a knock he is still young. However, many smart kids just don't have that "something" it takes to be a great quarterback at the next level.

The kid has all the physical tools to be an NFL QB, he deserves the chance to develop the other part of the game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Someone saw potential in Quincy Carter and he actually still has a shot to play even though he hasn't done anything since his SW Dekalb days, if someone would Blow a high 2nd round pick on that scrub I would agree that Bilbo has the skills to be a 1st round pick.

I like the sound of this kid, Ball, but from everything I've read on the Rivals site (sorry, but that's the only premium/fee-based recruiting service that I have a subscription to) Patrick Carter was almost every recruiting "guru"'s pick to be the stud of those two. Has anyone seen practices to see how these two compare?

Also, on the Bilbo front, I will make a prediction. Damarious Bilbo will have a year very similar to Joe Hamilton's freshman year. He will start and play 80% of the plays or more and will display an almost God-like arm (anyone remember the pass against Fresno he threw for a touchdown? 45 years on a line---the ball never got more than 8 feet off the ground). He will make occasional bad decisions from trying to do too much, but he will grow into the role and will become a very highly-regarded quarterback by the time that he's a senior. Tech will go either 8-4 or 7-5 (most likely 7-5 because of strength of schedule) and this time next year, there will be no "quarterback controversy".

Now, I will admit that I am an eternal "the glass is half-full" person, but I base these opinions on things I have heard, things I have read, and a few comments that two close friends of mine made regarding Bilbo's performances during spring practices. Let's hope they're right!

There is one main term missing from this equation. It is the letter N and stands for Nix.

It is possible that everything that has been said of Bilbo was true for last year. If so, that tends to be a lack of proper motivation.

Could it be possible his alertness to the film sessions and the teaching sessions will be learned in direct proportion to the confidence he has in the quarterback coach.

I am not saying this was the case, but let's take it as an example. Have you ever been under a teacher where you were sure you knew more than he did about the subject?

What if Bilbo thought he knew more about quarterbacking than BOB! He might not pay attention and might ignore a lot of the things BOB was trying to teach him. After all, he was a quarterback for years in high school. O'Brien has never been a quarterback.

He might have heard remarks from BOB that he knew were wrong so he just quit listening. He has stated he likes and respects Nix, that probably equates to a better motivation and learning curve.

The quarterback situation is like the head coaching situation, we will just have to wait and see how it plays out. Bilbo might have a super year.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
There is one main term missing from this equation. It is the letter N and stands for Nix.

It is possible that everything that has been said of Bilbo was true for last year. If so, that tends to be a lack of proper motivation.

Could it be possible his alertness to the film sessions and the teaching sessions will be learned in direct proportion to the confidence he has in the quarterback coach.

I am not saying this was the case, but let's take it as an example. Have you ever been under a teacher where you were sure you knew more than he did about the subject?

What if Bilbo thought he knew more about quarterbacking than BOB! He might not pay attention and might ignore a lot of the things BOB was trying to teach him. After all, he was a quarterback for years in high school. O'Brien has never been a quarterback.

He might have heard remarks from BOB that he knew were wrong so he just quit listening. He has stated he likes and respects Nix, that probably equates to a better motivation and learning curve.

The quarterback situation is like the head coaching situation, we will just have to wait and see how it plays out. Bilbo might have a super year.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Scuse me Ahsoisee;
got into the wrong button there.
Did want to say that you may have a very valid point with the QB. That could very easily be a true situation that I have wondered about too. After all, he has played for some big name coaches before meeting Coach Gailey. If it is the case, I certainly hope he can get his thoughts in line with the program. He is too good of an athlete to let this opportunity slip by.

Back