Ball move -- Brilliant or Stupid?

deacjacket

Varsity Lurker
I'm curious, do any of us really know at this point either way? Only those attending practice (which is not me) might have any clue on this.

Can you really base your Gailey impressions this year on # of wins with a freshman quarterback? (Personally, I think we have to gauge it on the teams' improvement/devotion during the course of the season)

And, if I should ever utter a critical phrase/comment/analyses about something I see at a game or read about in the paper, will it make me a Dawg fan or a Communist?

This is a loaded question.

If I say it is brilliant, I am a FOCer.

If I say it is stupid, I am a Basher.

Why don't we just take a wait and see approach...

Of course THAT will never happen on this board.

Originally posted by deacjacket:

And, if I should ever utter a critical phrase/comment/analyses about something I see at a game or read about in the paper, will it make me a Dawg fan or a Communist?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What's the difference?

I glad you said that this question should only be answered by people who have been to practice. As you probably know, Mark Bradley has not been to practice, but in his infinite wisdom, he knows it is a bad move. I ,on the other hand, have been to three practices, and have talked to several people who have been to other practices. I was hoping that Chan would name Ball the starter as of last Wednesday, before Chan mde the decision. Ball is that good! Friedgen used to say that he had to wait "for the light to come on for a young QB". The light was on for young Mr. Ball when he attended his first practice. Contrary to AJC reports, he has a good arm, he runs extremely well, he has great awareness, sees the field well, and he is a winner. He was clearly better than any ot the other QB's. I hate that it did not pan out for Bilbo, who is a great kid, but he was given every opportunity to win the job. He just never developed much consistancy. I hope he stays and plays wide receiver.

Originally posted by deacjacket:
[QB]I'm curious, do any of us really know at this point either way? Only those attending practice (which is not me) might have any clue on this.

Can you really base your Gailey impressions this year on # of wins with a freshman quarterback? (Personally, I think we have to gauge it on the teams' improvement/devotion during the course of the season)QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Of course no one knows but at this point there are really 2 options:
1. Start Suggs
2. Start a Freshman

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a very high % of Tech fans would pick number 2 if for no other reason than to see #1.

Honestly, I'd much rather throw a Freshman to the wolves and see how he responds. What know what we're going to get from Suggs. Let's get a year of experience for Ball and see what he can do in the future.

Does anyone think it will make a significant difference in the number of games we win? I can't imagine that there's more than one or two games difference. But then again, I haven't seen Ball in a college game yet, so we'll see how he responds.

I say we start 2-2 and finish with 6-7 wins.
My projection was certainly no better with AJ leading the team....

If you have been to practice..there is no way anyone would say we should start Bilbo at QB. In fact if you have been at practice and Chan started Bilbo at QB then you should be worried. He is a great kid and a very good athlete but he just doesn't click at Qb. Ralph Friegen once said "Quarterbacks are coached how to find receivers. There are things you can tell them to do, but a guy either has vision or he doesn't". Maryland's Bilbo is Latrez Harrison...highly thought of QB out of high school with a cannon for arm....who now plays WR.

BOR is exactly right...why don't we wait and see?

I would think after last year's best PRACTICE player at qb, we would collectively know better than to get ahead of ourselves...of course I thought CG would know better too! THWG

Just got through talking to my ultra Bulldog supporter friend. He was very excited that CG moved DBo to receiver. I wonder why?

Originally posted by gtmg:
Just got through talking to my ultra Bulldog supporter friend. He was very excited that CG moved DBo to receiver. I wonder why?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Does he often play you like that?
Take your lunch money?
Usually people will say the opposite of their true feelings in a situation like that just to pick at you just a lil ol bit.

Ya know, I have 10 good friends that claim that they ae dawg fans. 7 of those are of the " we win, because we are the dawgs". 2 are the were guud, you suxxs.(I take their money on the golf course)

I have one friend, only one that is concerned about the OL in Athens. He told me today his worries about their lack of DB's especially the first 2 games with the suspensions.
He is rightfully concerned with Whitehurst throwing the ball all day long on them at Clemson.

He is the only Ga. Fan I know than can break down his teams weaknesses.

Originally posted by gtmg:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You need an answer to this post?? Because he is a stupid Dawg... kick him and go in the house....

I appreciate the responses.
I've struggled with Gailey and becoming excited for the upcoming season.
The Ball situation, however, has actually fired me up a bit. Especially, the word from people at practice (like Kennesawkid).
And, 83Jacket mentioned an interesting Friedgen quote about vision -- last year, my father and I commented on many Bilbo passes where he didn't seem to see the field well (and not just pressured passes).
We'll find out in the weeks ahead.

Dammit, Jacketguy! You stole my post! LOL...I was just getting ready to post that response when I read yours and laughed.

Back