Ball will start

BEESerk

Flats Noob
Great news. Honestly I would have been satisfied either way given the circumstances.

Reggie, we have full confidence in you! Lead us on to victory. No doubt that having Reggie start will generate a LOT more excitement and enthusiasm from the GT fans. I can't wait for toe to meet leather now baybee!

Some co-workers today were referring to Ball as the next Michael Vick b/c of his accurate arm and blazing mobility. I haven't seen him play at all yet, but for those of you that have seen him during the practices, what do you think?

Can't believe Game 1 is this week!

He's no Vick, Joe Hamilton is a better comparison. Ball has an average arm, but enough to get the job done. He has shown lots of quickness and proven to be an accurate passer in practice. However, let's remember what made Hamilton great was his mind, and not neccessarily his physical talents. Ball will have plenty to learn, but I think he could be effective for us.

If the kid has been getting the starting QB snaps in practice then he should start. Looking forward to seeing him play. It sure makes me nervous having a true freshman out there!

Axe..One thing ive noticed..If he runs a legite 4.4 as advertised, then he will be faster than Joe was That is imho what makes Vick so dangerous ..Now as you said a great QB makes great decisions as Joe did...I think this IS what seperated Ball From Bilbo...So heres to Ball being as good if not better than Lil Joe..Then we would really have one wouldnt we? Wes said last Friday that Ball could be a great one...I know its early but he has a chance to be....

From observations of the various posts, it appears there was little doubt from the board about Ball starting.

I feel Carter will be giving him strong competition as the year progresses, but that is a good situation.

If Ball continues to progress and perform well in the games, Carter will be relagated to second place even if he performs better in practice.

However, should Ball be injured or have a bad game, Carter could then be ready to step in and lead the team. Once the team is established in a winning mode, then Carter could become a more legitimate threat for the number one position.

It certainly is assuring to know we have two capable quarterbacks at the helm. It is reassuring to me that we have someone like Nix to work with them.

Father Time

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Axe..One thing ive noticed..If he runs a legite 4.4 as advertised, then he will be faster than Joe was That is imho what makes Vick so dangerous ..Now as you said a great QB makes great decisions as Joe did...I think this IS what seperated Ball From Bilbo...So heres to Ball being as good if not better than Lil Joe..Then we would really have one wouldnt we? Wes said last Friday that Ball could be a great one...I know its early but he has a chance to be....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">A legite 4.4 is definately faster than Joe but not in Vick's league. Joe was great at making people miss (maybe better than Vick) but he did not have near the speed that Vick has. Vick is also 20 - 30 lbs heavier than Ball or Joe and has a world class arm.

In other words Vick is Sick.

Goldmember i agree with you to some extent BUT Ball will be FASTER than probabley 99% of QBs out there and he IS 1 to 2 inches taller than Joe was and a lot Stronger..Have you seen Balls arms..Take a look close up at those arms..The dude must hit the weights pretty hard...

I haven't heard that about his strength and I haven't seen him up close. He looked a little little taller and less stocky to me than Joe. That's good news if he is strong.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Goldmember i agree with you to some extent BUT Ball will be FASTER than probabley 99% of QBs out there and he IS 1 to 2 inches taller than Joe was and a lot Stronger..Have you seen Balls arms..Take a look close up at those arms..The dude must hit the weights pretty hard...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Arm strength does not translate to stronger throws. Much like baseball, tennis, golf, etc., technique is more important. Arnold could not throw a football as far as many high school kids.

Jack it..

You missed the main point of my post..ITS Reggie Balls SPEED that is what sets him apart.....

By the way Bilbo had the best arm strength of most QBs in the Ncaa..

Since seeing him early in practice, I was hoping he would be the starter. I was laughing this morning at the AJC Poll that had 80% saying Suggs would start. Do we have that many Tech fans that don't know about this kid, or were the voters UGAG fans?

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
From observations of the various posts, it appears there was little doubt from the board about Ball starting.

I feel Carter will be giving him strong competition as the year progresses, but that is a good situation.

If Ball continues to progress and perform well in the games, Carter will be relagated to second place even if he performs better in practice.

However, should Ball be injured or have a bad game, Carter could then be ready to step in and lead the team. Once the team is established in a winning mode, then Carter could become a more legitimate threat for the number one position.

It certainly is assuring to know we have two capable quarterbacks at the helm. It is reassuring to me that we have someone like Nix to work with them.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Remember Reggie's quote when he committed to Tech. 'I want to come to Georgia Tech so I can be the next Joe Hamilton'

You gotta love it!

ahsoisee,

I agree with you in principal concerning Carter and you just might be correct. Chan has said he has come on strong and his last 5 practices were the best he's had.

I think the we will try to go almost exclusively with Ball. We would bring in Suggs for a series or possibly even a game if we had to and try to redshirt Carter. If Ball sustains any kind of long term injury I think we see Carter very quickly. Just my opinion.

I will stand by my prediction though, guys. I'll lay even money that Bilbo takes at least 2 snaps from under center. On one, he will run an option-type play and on the other he may run the option again but with the downfield pass added in as an available choice if the play develops in such a way as to allow it.

I truly believe that Gailey is a smart enough football man to realize that if he can develop Bilbo as not only a receiver, but someone that defenses have to start worrying about, that it will open up Tech's offenses. See the statement in the article in the AJC where CG says that the playcalling with be "smart, according to the situation" but not conservative.

What keeps me optomistic is : That Gailey obviuosly knows how to move the chains on offense (That was an Emmitt Smith Quote) as he was in demand in the NFL as an offensive Coordinator..Now he doesnt have all the horses yet and the horses he has are realy ponies as they are EXTREMELY young but as he gets the horses and our players mature then we will have a good situation.
On the other side of the football he has shown a committment to bring in a real D.Coordinator in Tenuta and same with him once he gets all the horses we should take off.(We for the 1st time in awhile are committed to bringing in some hosses at DT ala Wrotto, Newberry, Brezina .I think in time we will be a team to reckoned with....

Back