Basketball

Wylie76

Varsity Lurker
I'm not saying we suck....I'm saying I'm glad UVA had a forfeit. This squad needs leadership like Jose. I'm not a Devoe Hater but he's not Steph, or Trae and Pastner needs to lock him in on shot "selection" and passing. YES, he's a scorer....but when you the fundamental aspect of a Guard comes in....He's not it. Not even close

I'll be impressed if we get to 16 wins. Our big men aren't developed enough for ACC or Top25 play. That goes to coaching. In my opinion only, we're about to find out just how good of a coach Pastner is.

If we played Team ball and smart....like Wisconsin .... we have the talent to compete and be above .500....but if the coaching up plateaus....it's not gonna be good.

jacket0224

Who wants to know?
This post was informational. Never heard those tropes before.

Dhatura

Dodd-Like
I seriously thought I was having a stroke when I read the OP's comment. Can anyone decipher for me?

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
The OP makes a very good point regarding our lack of a true PG, and the effect it will have on the success or failure of GT MBB.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
The OP makes a very good point regarding our lack of a true PG, and the effect it will have on the success or failure of GT MBB.
We all know that we lack a PG. This is not a unique insight.

cincytechie

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a coaching issue. It's usually the same story with CJP. Decent coach, not a great recruiter. Depth will always be an issue because of that. Hit our ceiling last year but lost too many guys. We will be competitive this year but mostly around .500. Until CJP can turn around the recruiting situation, this is the more common year that we will have. I thought he might have taken a step with last year's recruiting class but he's back to striking out on everyone.

RussianOffense

Tabbed as one of the elite posters of Stingtalk
I like Pastner but I don't like his Johnson-esque defeatist attitude toward recruiting. "We're at GT, we're not going to get the one-and-dones to lead us to the Final Four." BS, look at what Hewitt did. Look at what Pearl is doing at Auburn. No reason we can't recruit at the highest level

Wylie76

Varsity Lurker
I like Pastner but I don't like his Johnson-esque defeatist attitude toward recruiting. "We're at GT, we're not going to get the one-and-dones to lead us to the Final Four." BS, look at what Hewitt did. Look at what Pearl is doing at Auburn. No reason we can't recruit at the highest level
Hewitt sucked. He didn’t have a one and done. He had 5 starters with tenure.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Josh has to step up his recruiting. He coaches up players well. They play hard, defend well, and seem to enjoy playing together. But, when you know Alvarado and Wight are finishing up you have to have quality recruits or transfers ready to step in.