Beat Duke!

gtleviathan

Dodd-Like
GT got the win despite trying no less than 5 times to hand it to Duke in the final 90 seconds of regulation and OT. Pastner may have assured himself a tournament berth, but that game did no favors to the perception of his coaching prowess. I remember being relieved seeing Reveno huddle up with Pastner to draw up a play and talking in his ear as he was whiteboarding it to the players. And then we got whatever that stand around and hoist up a 40 footer was from Alvarado. ... oof ...
The only thing I can figure is that they drew up a play expecting a man defense and the team got paralyzed when Duke set up in zone. It's inexplicable to me that a senior-laden team would do that immediately after whipping a team (Syracuse) that played zone the entire previous game but I can't think of any explanation that makes more sense.

All's well that ends well, though.

gtphd

He / Him / His
The only thing I can figure is that they drew up a play expecting a man defense and the team got paralyzed when Duke set up in zone. It's inexplicable to me that a senior-laden team would do that immediately after whipping a team (Syracuse) that played zone the entire previous game but I can't think of any explanation that makes more sense.

All's well that ends well, though.
I think the airball was supposed to be a pass.

gtleviathan

Dodd-Like
I think the airball was supposed to be a pass.
Jose was quoted postgame saying it was a stupid play on his part. Perhaps it was meant to be a pass (though it sure didn't look like it to my eyes) but, if so, he was freelancing and no one else on the team knew what he was doing.

Learning experience for Jose either way. I don't expect we'll see that from him in an endgame situation again.

The Jacket

The Coat
I almost missed the complete collapse after the intercepted home run pass because the color guy was just beside himself. I was only able to start listening after OT due to work schedule. Followed the rest on game cast.
Situations like last night are why when we have an 8 point lead on a team like Duke with a couple minutes to go, I Am convinced we are going to lose by 10.

I had to mute the ESPN broadcast after switching over to it when rw cut out. I get that they were calling it remotely but if you're calling a big game in March, you could manage some energy above the "light conversation on the couch" level, even if you can't bring yourself to stop jerking off over Duke's every move.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
Win the game. Duke has more fouls. Tech has more FTs and still scream officials lol
I realize it is beyond your ability to comprehend, but just because Duke had more fouls doesn’t mean that the officials weren’t biased against us or didn’t call the game unfairly.

The Jacket

The Coat
Jose was quoted postgame saying it was a stupid play on his part. Perhaps it was meant to be a pass (though it sure didn't look like it to my eyes) but, if so, he was freelancing and no one else on the team knew what he was doing.

Learning experience for Jose either way. I don't expect we'll see that from him in an endgame situation again.
Word around town this morning is that we're just going to blow out Wake and our postseason opponents so that those kinds of plays won't be necessary.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
Situations like last night are why when we have an 8 point lead on a team like Duke with a couple minutes to go, I Am convinced we are going to lose by 10.

I had to mute the ESPN broadcast after switching over to it when rw cut out. I get that they were calling it remotely but if you're calling a big game in March, you could manage some energy above the "light conversation on the couch" level, even if you can't bring yourself to stop jerking off over Duke's every move.
The whole OT debacle started after they said with :15 left and up by 6 “I won’t believe it until there are double zeroes on the clock!”

The Jacket

The Coat
The whole OT debacle started after they said with :15 left and up by 6 “I won’t believe it until there are double zeroes on the clock!”
I hope like hell that we don't play Duke again in the tournament. Not because I don't think we'll beat them, but because everything involved in watching a Duke game is unbearable. Through most of our plays, the color guy was mumbling on at length about one thing or another that Duke just does so well. At one point they showed a half-screen graphic about the Duke-UNC game while the ball was in play, talking about what makes "this rivalry" so special. And it's been like this for as long as I've been watching Tech basketball. I hate Duke's basketball team more than I hate most of our football opponents.

Once I switched to our broadcast, the energy was on par with the actual game itself and the nerve-shredding experience of watching it.

ESPN network broadcasts in general have become fourth rate, third world unprofessional trash which actually manage to distract and detract from even huge games where you otherwise wouldn't pay any mind to it.

jts you said that Pastner had beaten Duke but I just saw a headline that says GT snaps 14-game losing streak versus Duke. Did he beat them at Memphis or as a player or something?

JelloJacket

Flats Noob
I hope like hell that we don't play Duke again in the tournament. Not because I don't think we'll beat them, but because everything involved in watching a Duke game is unbearable. Through most of our plays, the color guy was mumbling on at length about one thing or another that Duke just does so well. At one point they showed a half-screen graphic about the Duke-UNC game while the ball was in play, talking about what makes "this rivalry" so special. And it's been like this for as long as I've been watching Tech basketball. I hate Duke's basketball team more than I hate most of our football opponents.

Once I switched to our broadcast, the energy was on par with the actual game itself and the nerve-shredding experience of watching it.

ESPN network broadcasts in general have become fourth rate, third world unprofessional trash which actually manage to distract and detract from even huge games where you otherwise wouldn't pay any mind to it.
I hope we are equally hated 10 years from now.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
I realize it is beyond your ability to comprehend, but just because Duke had more fouls doesn’t mean that the officials weren’t biased against us or didn’t call the game unfairly.
Just because we've had a good turnover margin doesn't mean stupid turnovers can't lose us games.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Ron Bell happened because Pastner is a nice guy. Too nice, it appears.
I believe naive is a more appropriate description. Which is a dangerous trait for a person in his position. I hope he learned from the debacle but only time will tell.

00Burdell

Dodd-Like
I just watched the replay. I have two observations:

The officiating did not favor Duke; and
Our coaching at the end of games is dreadful.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ

I’m not sure if it was called coaching plays or players doing dumb things under pressure (which goes back to coaching). Alvarado seemed to own the dumbass baseball pass. Other stuff seemed to be players getting out of control.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy

Coaching criticism will not be tolerated