Being a fan of US soccer at the Int'l level

Discussion in 'Other GT Sports' started by MeatWrench, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mmbt0ne

mmbt0ne Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Gettin my **** mind rite
    Team:
    GT
    Best American is by far, hands down, no contest Landon Donovan. People who argue against this are hating on him just like we all said JJ Redick wasn't the best player in the ACC when he was here. That title may be up for grabs when Jermaine Jones officially becomes a US player in August, but I'll hold off judgement until he does something.

The point on big foreign clubs does ring true, but it's not a 100% necessity. At least not to be as good as we should be now, which isn't world class but certainly to a point where we can reasonably expect to make it out of the group stage of a world cup.

Look at Egypt and Honduras as two prime examples. Egypt has one player on recently relegated Middlesbrough and one on decent Borussia Dortmund. However, they won the African Cup two years ago over teams like Ivory Coast and Senegal, stacked with EPL and La Liga talent. Similarly, if you just look at individual players and their club teams, Honduras should dominate CONCACAF. They have Suazo of Inter Milan and now Benfica fame, De Leon who starts for Parma, Wilson Palacios who starts for Tottenham, etc.

We can be better than we are now without sending more players abroad, but it requires a coach who can adjust tactically and inspire our players to perform. It's not clear that Bradley can do either.

2. carober18

carober18 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    AL
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    ^absolutely. There is no question that Donovan is the best player on the U.S. right now. It may turn out that Michael Bradley ends up being better in 5-10 years, but as of now Landon Donovan is a step above the other players. I have played with a lot of folks that are currently (or used to be) in the MLS and I do not remember any of them saying another American-born player was as good as Donovan.

3. WreckTheRest

WreckTheRest Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Reston, VA
    Team:
    GT, Michigan
    Fortunately, the U.S. typically beats Mexico. Especially when playing on U.S. soil.

4. MTrain

MTrain Dodd-Like

Loc:
    solid 7.0
    Team:
    GT
    This thread has some amazing throwback in it

5. beej67

beej67 new around here

Loc:
    the smouldering hellscape of east cobb
    Team:
    GT
    This bump really confused me for a bit.

6. AllAmericanBuzz

AllAmericanBuzz Mascotus Emeritus

Loc:
    Alpharetta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
    Christian Pulisic was 10 years old when this thread started.

7. GT98

GT98 Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    parts unknown
    Young man clearly has all of the ability in the world and getting that against top flight Euro competition will only help. Once the U.S. can field a few of him on the field together, they can make some deep runs in the WC.

8. gtrower

gtrower Dodd-Like

Loc:
    DC
    Team:
    GT
    Especially when you consider that it was made 3 days before we beat Egypt 3-0 to advance from our group with Brazil (over Italy), 6 days before we beat #1 in the world Spain 2-0 (snapping their streak of 35 games unbeaten), and 10 days before we pushed Brazil to the brink in the final where we were up 2-0 at half but ultimately lost 2-3. It was arguably the best result the USMNT has ever had in a FIFA tournament.