Best Division 1 Coaches

PM Gold

Varsity Lurker
Hello everyone. I read earlier where MsTechAnalysis posted after spring practice topics for discussion. I figured I would go ahead and start early.

Best Div. 1 college coaches and why. Ralph Friegen, Joe Paterno, Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz, Larry Coker, Bob Stoops, Al Groh.
Preface: This is my opinion. This is not an end all list
These coaches are some of the Best in Division 1 football because first they win on a consistent basis. Their players conduct themselves well and the programs appear to be clean in regards to the NCAA and off field player behavior.
Most of these guys have built their own programs and will end up being synonymous with their college / university. Joe Paterno will be synonymous with PSU for many years to come. Even though Spurrier is no longer at UF he will always be associated most closely with Florida. Holtz had achieved this with Notre Dame and is on his way to achieving this with South Carolina. The Fridge is on his way to accomplishing this feat with Maryland. I am betting that Al Groh will accomplish this within the next ten years. (Hate to say that since I cant stand the Snobs). Bobby Bowden is FSU but he runs a very questionable program to say the least. I think he takes to many chances with fringe players. I think these coaches are among the best. I would like any of them, except Bowden, to coach my team.
Please post any questions, comments or complaints.

Among the present coaches in no particular order:

01. Bobby Bowden, but beginning to lose his edge.

02. Joe Paterno, also beginning to lose his edge.

03. Steve Spurrier, I know he is pro now, but could possiblly return to college football.

04. Ralph Friegden, as of the past two years. He is not firm because he has not faced a lot of adversity yet. He is great with the Xs and Os.

05. Stoops, as of the past several years. He also is not firm as he has only a few years under his belt.

06. The new Ohio State coach impresses me. He won the national championship in his first year in Division I. He also won a handful of national championships in Division II prior to Ohio State.

07. University of Miami coach. Another short timer, but appears to be very good.

08. I don't like the Texas head coach, but he has had success at North Carolina and Texas.

09. Ty Willingham. I need another year or two to judge him. He fared well at Stanford and did well in his first year at Notre Dame.

10. Phil Fulmer, Tennesse head coach has a good winning percentage.

Memory is getting dim, I can't remember the names of many of the coaches of the teams mentioned. I am too lazy to look them up.

Also there are several more in the Big Ten and a couple in the West.

Good topic

smile.gif

I'd have to go with the Fridge as #1 right now.

The guy at USC would have to be #2.

Stoops at OK would be #3.

Richt would be in the top ten...

IMO it's way too early to list Fridge in that company. He's had a great start and may end up with the best winning pct. of all time for all I know, but he hasn't been doing it long enough yet.

Just now getting to this post - thanks for bringing this up:

IMO the current best head coaches over the last 5 years:

Kansas State's coach (forgot his name)
Took a very bad program and has had them
in the Top 15 consistently over the last 5
years.

Tennessee - Philip Fulmer - consistency in winning for a long period of time.

Oklahoma - Bob Stoops - young, creative up and coming coach who got the Sooners back on top.

Larry Coker - Miami - took over a good program and hasn't missed a beat.

Coach at Virginia Tech - ditto on consistency and winning percentage over a period of time - doesn't have great recruiting classes but 'teaches' the game and wins.

Tiller at Purdue - again took over a down program and has them competitive again. An assistant for years who was finally given a chance.

Mack Brown at Texas - ditto winning percentage and consistency.

Honorable mention because they haven't been at the positions 5 years yet:

Ralph Friedgen- MD
Al Groh - VA
Chuck Amato - NC State
Pete Carroll - USC

I sure there are more!

MACK BROWN I would not put him as one of the best coaches. He was a winner at TEX and NC but he has never made it over the hump. He with the drawing power of the name of Texas and the big 12 has not won the big games Texas Tech as an example. So MB good but not great.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
MACK BROWN I would not put him as one of the best coaches. He was a winner at TEX and NC but he has never made it over the hump. He with the drawing power of the name of Texas and the big 12 has not won the big games Texas Tech as an example. So MB good but not great.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dead on the money, oldfoggy. Mack is an awesome recruiter but never can deliver in the big games. Although he had some amazing talent at North Carolina, the TarHoles would almost always fade towards the end of the season.

Back