Bilbo is taking over @ QB

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Have u noticed that every practice report(including Sat's RW.com report on Sat's scrimmage linked at bottom), lunch bunch, or whatever gets Bilbo's name in the mix at least once. He makes a play or throws a TD or has the potential or this or that. Meanwhile, Suggs is never mentioned period.
Sure Bilbo is running with the 1st unit, but if Suggs was even pushing, u'd think he'd get some mention on some play by somebody. Has Bilbo improved so much that he's leaving Suggs in the dust? Has Suggs not improved or regressed? Did someone miss badly on who should've been QB last yr?
Matthews is a very pleasant surprise @ FB & could be a force. Of course, the main competition, Jackson & Dixon, are out with broken ankles & may not be 100% by Aug. Matthews was a TE/DE in HS so he could also shift from FB to TE & back. This appears to be an exceptional move by the staff. This allows Foshi to work primarily @ TE (where he should be) & not be in the FB mix like he was at the end of last yr.
Nate Curry is really coming back @ WR & is a supergood compliment to Smith. These 2 are dangerous. Thomas, Bridges & Logan can be spot replacements or 3rd dn additions without having to carry the load. We DO NOT need injuries to WRs.
Here's the RW report on Sat's scrimmage.

GT's Sat scrimmage

Thanks Ace, like to see the personal opinions of those attending practice.

Originally posted by GT Ace:
Did someone miss badly on who should've been QB last yr?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes.

Perhaps Bilbo really is too talented to stand beside Chan on the sideline.

Originally posted by beeware:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GT Ace:
Did someone miss badly on who should've been QB last yr?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes.

Perhaps Bilbo really is too talented to stand beside Chan on the sideline.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GO ASK BOB HE CAN TELL YOU SINCE HE PUT SUGGS IN BEFORE DBO!!!!

My memory of AJ is turning tail and being run down from about 15 yds. God help us if AJ sees playing time.

Yes somebody missed on who should have been QB last year, mainly bo'b. He kept pushing for AJ eventhough bo'b was using packages that were not suited for AJ. Then when CG forced bo'b to use DeBo he on purpose called plays that he had not run in practice or was suited for in an effort to make himself (bo'b) not take the blame. As soon as bo'b took over the offense (peach bowl) things went to hades. Look at the plays he called to try and get Goose hurt so it would take away from bo'b incompetence. Let's do not forget the pre-bowl quote, "it is like a light went on for AJ." Yeah it did and it reminded him and all of us what an idiot bo'b is and that all our competition was correct when they realized how bo'b had taken us down. The kids did as best they could despite bo'b trying to ruin us.

Some of you; please help!! It seems to me that a few of you seem to be in the know of WHO on our 2002 coaching staff wanted aj to play and who wanted DBO. Now you people sure seem to KNOW what went on and when! Y'all seem to be in agreement that BOB wanted aj and Chan wanted DBO. If this is correct would one you guys let me know how certain you are of this? To me this is VERY IMPORTANT!! Also any other facts concerning this would be appreciated. I know this has been discussed before, but until now previous post were read interest but also a grain of salt but with a little hot pepper sauce. If you want to email me instead of this thread please get my email address from the administrators. THIS VERY IMPORTANT as to how I may feel toward our coach as of right now I'm leaning just somewhat toward the positive. Thanks in advance!!

texstinger & techrod....I believe some of the confusion regarding this deadhorse revolves around the WF game when BOB was sending in DB and CG overuled him to send in AJ. BOB said in effect: But coach, the package called is designed for DB. There are many who sit directly behind the team that will vouch for this.

As for sending in plays that DB can't pull off, well BOB didn't do well here either. TD in WF game...TD in NC game...several(too many) impressive runs...60 yard bomb hitting Thomas on the fly in the center of his palms...only 2 TD performance in 2nd half in what seems like forever in SVB...etc.

The confusing part seems to be the large contingent of posters who for whatever reason seem to believe BOB was too favorable to AJ. Whatever the case ,it's done and we will now see if DB can add the mental aspect of the game to his considerable (maybe best ever!) physical talents. If so, and it's a big IF, we will have something really special cooking. I only hope the coaches will stick with him through the very difficult early part of the schedule. A quick hook here would likely be as damaging as the no hook was last year. THWG

GTT, with ALL due respect for your feeling ect.it is important to me what happened last year only in regard to the qb spot, because it would leave me with a deep impression of: lack of evaluating talent, stubborness, which caused hopelessness, frustration, anger, experience, and MAYBE ONLY losses!! If Chan wanted Dbo and still feels that way or if a true freshman can display true greatness and gain confidence then I am on board! Imo it would take a complete disaster to give the job back to the previous starter. From here on I am going forward as to the future. I only hope Chan has seen the light.

Originally posted by techrod:
GTT, with ALL due respect for your feeling ect.it is important to me what happened last year only in regard to the qb spot, because it would leave me with a deep impression of: lack of evaluating talent, stubborness, which caused hopelessness, frustration, anger, experience, and MAYBE ONLY losses!! If Chan wanted Dbo and still feels that way or if a true freshman can display true greatness and gain confidence then I am on board! Imo it would take a complete disaster to give the job back to the previous starter. From here on I am going forward as to the future. I only hope Chan has seen the light.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hear where you're coming from techrod. You're not going to find the truth you're looking for here or on other boards. You'll find opinion and conjecture as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not going to comment on who should be starting or who will start. All I can say is I've been to every single practice this spring other than two. I've talked with the coaches and the players. They are moving forward. They've giving Bilbo every opportunity to learn this new offense. It's brand new. Nothing the same. He and Pena have made strids. There is no doubt. Bilbo is way ahead in my eyes. He's much more confortable than this point last year. You see no mention of others for a reason. I'll just leave it at that. Love all these young men. They're all Yellow Jackets regardless.

What happened last year was last year. I understand people feel strongly about things. The truth isn't here in regards to some issues. That's not a diss on anyones opinions or parts of the hole that have been stated.

Go Jackets!

techrod. Want to add something else. As much as has happened this spring in regards to building a new offense and player development, you usually see more progress through summer and two a days in fall if things go well in classroom and health.

In my eyes it looks urgent out there this spring. Just a different feel than it's had in past. In some sense it's a long ways till Provo, but in others it's right around the corner.

Can understand why a fan wants to know why a player played in situations. The guy calling the shots now has a heck of a lot of experience. It shows on the field in practice this spring big time.

Hope you can come to spring game. Don't know your situation techrod. Think you'll like the use of personnel and the make up of this offense. It's not a polished product yet, but I like what they are doing. It's definitely got a personality. Something I haven't seen in years at GT.

Go Jackets!

GTT, GREAT GREAT replys!!!!! Many thanks to you for friendship over this board. I am in FL. right now so I will not be in Ga. for the game.

It's so good to hear that Damarius is getting the reps and looks like it's coming around for him. It will be a learning experience for him as the starter and after the 'pull and tug' season of last year - I think he'll be a better man and player for it.

This is going to be a tough season (schedule) for everyone on this team and Damarius has a tremendous amount of load to carry, I hope he is afforded every opportunity to grow and get better as the year progesses.

To me all this about what happened and peacing together bits and peaces to gain the truth doesn't have a lot to do with what's going on now in the program.

I'm sure both coaches had reasons for making any decisions. To me we'll never know the hole story.
Regardless, in my eyes it's in the past.

This fan is going forward like I feel the team is doing. Team = Players + Coaches

Love BO'B, but he's not part of this team now.

GO JACKETS!

I don't think that at any time Bill O'Brien was ever "in over his head," despite those repeated assertions. O'Brien is a very bright person and an Ivy League guy. On the other hand, I think O'Brien may have been guilty of making things more complicated than they had to be. O'Brien, IMO, was too hung up on X's and O's (remember our REPEATED problems with physically talented players who 'couldn't learn the offense' since he took over as O-Coordinator). He failed to understand the improvisational X-factor that certain raw athletes can provide. IMO, O'Brien WAS the problem, but it wasn't because he was in over his head, it was because he was OVERANALYTICAL.

Texstinger, you can't spell Iraq, and you have the guts to call BOB an idiot? And to imply that he was trying to harm his players or hurt his team......I think you make it very clear who the true idiot is here. You obviously don't have a clue, so maybe you should back off until you have something intelligent to post.

I of course do not know if it was CCG or BOB who wanted AJ in all the time. I do however remember it was BOB who stated just before the S bowl that AJ had all of a sudden become much better (my phrasing). It was CCG who put D in after the half. Was it BOB or CCG I sure don't know but I do feel deep in my gut that it was in fact BOB. Did he want to hurt Tech, no I don't think so, I feel that BOB was in over his head and had reached his level of incompetence (ie PP).

Back