Bilbo may be dominating in Spring Training

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Just thinking about the positives that coulda/shoulda come out of Damarious' most extensive playing time so far. Bilbo should really be able to build on that half vs Fresno with the game on the line & it ought to give him mucho confidence for Spring. 186 yds passing should be a boost, as well.
He brought us from behind twice 14-13 & 21-20. The TD pass was a rope over the correct shoulder. He has a major div1a arm. He read the coverages correctly & appeared to throw to the correct receiver. The passes were underthrown & pick offable. The WR actually would have had big gains/TDs if the ball was thrown with more umph downfield. I'll bet, when watching the film, Damarious said 'I can do this' many times.
I just sense that he will run with the opportunity the coaches will almost surely give him this Spring. I don't think he'll hesitate or look back. Gotta think that he feels like he's taking over & his day has arrived.

No question Bilbo has a lot of talent put he has a lot of work to do. I don't think he was reading defenses as much as he was playing on instinct. He looked more like a kid playing PS2 John Madden football for the first time. Drop back and see who might be open...square...square...

I'm not knocking him because you can't knock a QB that hasn't played. That being said. My guess is he had a primary receiver on each passing play, if he wasn't open he just tried to make something happen.

Could someone please verify Bilbo's experience?
He came from Moss Point; Campbell the QB at Auburn came from Moss Point and graduated the year before Bilbo(I believe). If this is correct, he only started one year and strictly played in the shotgun formation. If this is correct, it is no wonder he has difficulty with the offense.
shocked.gif

The most astute post I've seen reguarding playing time for Bilbo and AJ was by JOJATK an admin for the Hive. This certainly has a ring of truth to it for me:

My own theory on Damarius is that the coaches didn't put him into the bowl game for as long as they did nor did they put him into the UGA game as early as they did just because they felt our other QB wasn't performing well enough. I say that because we had seen numerous other occasions where most here would say (I am one of them) that our starter wasn't getting the job done (for whatever reason) and yet we didn't see Damarius.

What that tells me is that Damarius did something in practice and in film study and in meetings that gave the coaches good reasons to feel he had EARNED playing time and the opportunity to show some of his wares. That was for me more encouraging than anything I saw on the field from him because it may indicate that he's mentally ready to get into the act and take a stronger role with the team. I think he is going to have a golden opportunity during spring to take the mantle of leadership and show the coaches he can be the man.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Here's a link to the thread: Hive thread

Originally posted by GTnut:
Could someone please verify Bilbo's experience?
He came from Moss Point; Campbell the QB at Auburn came from Moss Point and graduated the year before Bilbo(I believe). If this is correct, he only started one year and strictly played in the shotgun formation. If this is correct, it is no wonder he has difficulty with the offense.
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No this isn't right Cambell came from Ackerman , MS or somewhere in middle or north MS. He came from a 2A or 3A school. Moss Point is a 5A power house (won state title 2 of the 3 years I was in high school) and on the coast of MS. Biblo started his junior year and played his sophmore year a little, but that was Kevin Fant's (Miss. State's starter) senior year I think. He played under center his entire junior year under a normal I-formation. Coach Alexander switched to a 5 wide Dbo's senior year to take advantage of Dbo's ability. He switched back to a regular I the very next year. I have posted this numerous times. Coach Alexander has nothing but great things to say about Bilbo. He can take snaps, but he is probably more comfortable in the shot gun.

Also sensed a change in the coaches' views. When the coaches put him in @ SV Bowl, they meant for him to play the rest of the game. He would not come out. He would get a real chance to win, place or show. Even after 4 ints there seemed to be NO regard to sending another QB in.
Gailey met him coming off the field on several occasions & gave him words of advice, which I never saw with the other QB. He's got to feel 'Gailey gave me some time'. They let him really whip the ball around, too, short, deep, sideways & long. To me, there was a change in coaching philosophy with that int for a TD right before half & it will stick for quite a while.
How do u see it?

GT Ace, I would agree with you - I think CG was furious at Suggs for not throwing the ball away on that last play. IMO, they had no plans on playing Bilbo much in the game, esp the whole half, but I think CG is "done" with Suggs after that game.

Originally posted by TIAR,B:
GT Ace, I would agree with you - I think CG was furious at Suggs for not throwing the ball away on that last play. IMO, they had no plans on playing Bilbo much in the game, esp the whole half, but I think CG is "done" with Suggs after that game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I absolutely agree.

Back