Blaming Chan is pointless...

Axe

Flats Noob
...if this stuff is true. During the O'Leary era we almost never lost a player of value to academics, but lost a lot of marginal kids. No doubt this is a business, a good football coach needs his best players to get the job done. I would imagine when GO'L was winning he could "get things" done around campus. Chan doesn't have the same clout or even the same will to get those things done. It appears that the academic folks used the coaching change to get the upper hand. It all this is true of course.

I agree Axe...

I think the problems are more with "The Hill" and the academic situation,

We MUST expand the curriculum or do something similar, or we WILL become Duke ( psss - we're on the way allready if this is true)..

Its harder and harder to be a Tech fan these days - not that I'd ever bail, after 40+ years, but man, its TOUGH

When do we stop giving Chan a free pass. Is he going to be the last one out the door to turn out the lights.

He knew the academic challenges he faced when he took the job. He has to accept responsibility for the performance and progression of his student atheletes. 2 or 3 might be understandable but 11 is gross negligence on his part to command and control his troops.

I will await the truth before rushing to judgement, but if 11 is the number, Chan needs to go!

Go Jackets!

GRush- I agree...we have already reached the Duke level when Wake beats us at home. Maybe there is no shame in this, only our own missed expectations- they certainly were the better team last year.

The limited academic choices vs athletics is an issue that will only become more apparent if this expansion goes through. I have a hard time seeing President Clough presenting the pro-vote yesterday knowing the restrictions this school operates under and thinking we will remain competitive. Maybe it is all about the money and this is the only way they see to fund the other sports- even if the football team becomes the sacrifical Vanderbilt of the 'new south' ACC division.

I, like you, am frustrated and jaded right now. If this rumor is true, it appears we are headed back to 'an early 80's' cycle for football and it will take a inspirational miracle worker or changes to the academic choices to turn this around. I won't give up, but as you said, it sure is hard being a fan.

As usual, I agree with Jerry the Jacket. I remember when losing one, like Joe Burns, was a cause of knashing teeth. 11?

Each day many continue to bury their head in the sand and as Jerry says, give him a pass. I, for one, do not.

Ok, so we chalk up the Wake and Clemson debacles to first year itis, even though he was supposed to continue our winning ways. Strike one was the Georgia disaster and going underground afterward, followed up by the infamous Silicon fiasco. If this is true, losing 11 in one fell swoop. I say cut our losses on strike three.

Remember, we are in the months of the new, tough, disciplined regime after freshman coaching year lessons learned. Don't try to blame this on O'Leary - he's long gone and the players didn't flunk out on his watch.

I say enough talk of O'leary and enough talk of Gailey. Let's take the million we are paying, hire a football coach with some enthusiasm for being here and bring on the big boys.

This is a spectacle that continues to get worse - not better.

Father, you can get whoever, but with an expanded stadium that the natives are very upset with the way seating is going and the way the AD is treating people and now this! Well to me this is irreverible, horrific, and inexuseable adversity that NO one can overcome! The HUGE bad publicicty to follow about how tough Tech is will really show up in recruiting. And WHAT the boys didn't get any academic help and support! Who in their right mind would sign with Tech. And now Miami, Cuse on the schedule! I am deeply sorry, but the program is once and for all ala Duke! or worse. THEIR IS NO SUGAR COATING THIS FIASCO!!!!!!!

Just to clarify, I'm not a CG supporter by any means. I think he is in way over his head, but this problem is bigger than he is. If I can blame him for anything regarding this matter, it's that he had no idea what he was getting into at GT.

Personally, I believe it's naive to believe that great football players stay eligible at a school like GT with great tutors and hand holding from the coaching staff. If you are going to play big time football you have to have powerful folks greasing the wheel. That ain't happening and that might be a good thing, but we sure did waste a whole lot of money on a new stadium if that is the case.

If all this is true then how can we give CCG a pass? It's his responsibility to know the team and their studies. I gave him a pass last year as our cupboard was pretty empty but this, this is too much.
frown.gif

Back