BOLD Statement of the day...

Axe

Flats Noob
...I haven't been overly impressed with Bill O'Brien's work as an offensive coordinator the past two seasons, but I love him as a coach.

If Bill O'Brien was named HC today, GT would be a BCS type team in 2 seasons. O'Brien isn't a perfect play-caller or QB coach, he is simply a leader of men.

I never liked Mark Richt as an Offensive coordinator, but like BOB he has that special something that makes others follow his lead.

I now it will never happen, but a GT football program led by Bill O'Brien would recruit with anyone, excel in the classroom, and win big-time.

I told you it was bold, but I truely believe it.

Any thoughts

smile.gif

I guess I don't really get the point of your post. Yes, BOB can recruit and is a good coach. But I don't know enough about him to make the kind of statement you just made. But, like you said, it'll never happen.

While I'm dreaming, here is my staff(I tried to stay realistic and not make it a dream team):
HC Bill O'Brien
OC Patrick Nix
DC-DB Jon Tenuta
WR David Kelly
OL Joe D'Allesandris
RB Geoff Collins
LB Brick Haley
DL Glenn Spencer
Asst. HC/DB/Special Teams Danny Smith

Bug,

I'm just having a little fun, but I do believe what I said. When Paul Hewitt was hired, I turned his press conference on and heard about 2 or 3 sentences and I just knew that he was going to win a lot of games at GT. He speaks and you want to follow. I've always felt the same about BOB.

When I heard CG speak for the first time, I was hoping I would feel the same way and I just never did. It seems he says what he thinks others want to hear. When he talks about how bad he wants to win championships or beat Georgia, I just don't believe it. He knows how football is suppossed to be played and the X and Os but there is just something missing. I think that is why GT fans have been slow to warm-up to him. There is something missing and we just can't put our fingers on it.

I'm not calling for his job. The man deserves a shot. He has my support. Nevertheless, this is a message board and I just wanted to express my feeling.

I don't want to bash the program. I will always support the coaches and players. However, I don't feel we have the best man running our program. I always try to speak my mind, good or bad.

Someone made a post in the last couple days stating that coaches don’t stay at a school very long anymore. The y gave several reasons why and stated that hiring an extremely young coach like a Richt could provide a school with someone for the long haul. I immediately thought of BOB as head coach. This thought intrigued me since I have screamed louder than anyone for the firing of CG and BOB. However I wondered if he would do well as a HC. Based on the current HC I would certainly be willing to give him the opportunity in spite of the poor job he has done as OC the last two years.

Axe:
You hit the nail on the head about Bill O'Brien. A Brown grad, he's smart/intelligent and connects with people and student/athletes. I remember reading a recruiting article in 2000 by Max Emfinger.

It was an article on the best recruiters in the country and he said he calls kids from east to west and north to south and soooo many of them mention Billy O'Brien and Georgia Tech and these athletes speaking his praises. He said a lot of them had never met him but because of the way he presented himself on the phone and talked about Tech, they would take a look at the school!

Max said he would consider him one of the top young recruiters/coaches in the nation.

I think BOB needs to learn how to be a good OC before moving up the ranks to HC. Georgia Tech has demonstrated a significant drop-off in production since the Fridge went to Maryland. BOB has a difficult time making real time adjustments that can exploit weaknesses in the opposing defense.

I wouldn't want BOB as my OC that is for sure.

Originally posted by Axe:
Bug,

I'm just having a little fun, but I do believe what I said. When Paul Hewitt was hired, I turned his press conference on and heard about 2 or 3 sentences and I just knew that he was going to win a lot of games at GT. He speaks and you want to follow. I've always felt the same about BOB.

When I heard CG speak for the first time, I was hoping I would feel the same way and I just never did. It seems he says what he thinks others want to hear. When he talks about how bad he wants to win championships or beat Georgia, I just don't believe it. He knows how football is suppossed to be played and the X and Os but there is just something missing. I think that is why GT fans have been slow to warm-up to him. There is something missing and we just can't put our fingers on it.

I'm not calling for his job. The man deserves a shot. He has my support. Nevertheless, this is a message board and I just wanted to express my feeling.

I don't want to bash the program. I will always support the coaches and players. However, I don't feel we have the best man running our program. I always try to speak my mind, good or bad.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound like I was slamming you. I have my doubts about Gailey as well, Axe. While we're on the subject, what would or could Gailey do during the off-season that would make you feel better about him? I've been thinking about that. I'm just not sure. Obviously, a great recruiting class would help. I'd like to see him hire a kick-a#s guy...someone to help him enforce discipline with the team...someone like Amato under Bowden at FSU...or Erk Russell under Dooley. I think that's the one main quality that Gailey lacks. I'd like to see him get an assistant that really helps him push the players and get the max out of their talent. Know what I mean?

Originally posted by bugboy:
While we're on the subject, what would or could Gailey do during the off-season that would make you feel better about him?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's a great question. I respect Chan Gailey. I feel that he knows his football and is a hard worker but compared to the rest of the ACC coaches he just doesn't seem to measure up in the area of passion. When you hear Al Groh, Fridge, Amato, Grobe, etc. speak you know that they can't be happy if they aren't winning. I think Chan is a balanced individual, his life won't be affected if GT isn't the best. That's a good quality in a husband or father but not a good one for a college football coach. That is the sad reality of modern college athletics.

Sorry to ramble, but to answer your question I would say Chan needs to show us he has the passion in his belly to out work, out recruit, and out prepare the likes of Fridge, Amato, Groh, Bowdens, etc. I don't believe that passion is there.

This is a tough league for head coaches. One could think of Gailey as a good solid football coach and rank him last in the league. GT can't win that way, our staff is always going to have to be better and outwork the others.

Hey Axe.

You may be right. I am sure his organizational skillis are unmatched and his recruiting skills are excellent. Unfortunately I do not think he will get a shot at a HC position at Tech.
Do you know anything about Norm Chow? From what I can find he is an excellent coach. Did he leave NCST just to be on teh west coast?

Price Memorial Gold

Originally posted by Axe:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bugboy:
While we're on the subject, what would or could Gailey do during the off-season that would make you feel better about him?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's a great question. I respect Chan Gailey. I feel that he knows his football and is a hard worker but compared to the rest of the ACC coaches he just doesn't seem to measure up in the area of passion. When you hear Al Groh, Fridge, Amato, Grobe, etc. speak you know that they can't be happy if they aren't winning. I think Chan is a balanced individual, his life won't be affected if GT isn't the best. That's a good quality in a husband or father but not a good one for a college football coach. That is the sad reality of modern college athletics.

Sorry to ramble, but to answer your question I would say Chan needs to show us he has the passion in his belly to out work, out recruit, and out prepare the likes of Fridge, Amato, Groh, Bowdens, etc. I don't believe that passion is there.

This is a tough league for head coaches. One could think of Gailey as a good solid football coach and rank him last in the league. GT can't win that way, our staff is always going to have to be better and outwork the others.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You may be right. But sometimes it takes a coach a little longer to get his feet wet before he starts to really produce. I think CG has had a feeling out period with the coaches and the players. It was obvious all year that the "team" wasn't really comfortable and that's a reflection of the transition process. As for Chan's determination and desire, I don't think you can accurately gauge that from some public speeches and such. Deep down, he probably has alot more drive than people give credit for.

I've felt all along that we'd find out alot more about Chan in his 2nd year than his 1st. The first year is a crapshoot...do well, and everyone says you did it with the previous guy's players...do bad, and everyone says you do'nt know what you're doing. It's this next year where I'll really form a concrete opinion of Chan. I'm really uneasy right now. I really hope that my suspicions are wrong though. He deserves another year before judgement, IMO. That might put me in the minority on this board, but this is a basher board at the moment. I hope recruits don't read this place.

Axe, it is true, one can be a lousy worker and a good boss. The criteria are different. It is also true, one could be a lousy OC and a good head coach. Again, the criteria is different.

Personally, I would still not want O,Brien as Tech's head coach for some of the reasons I have already stated. Personally, I doubt he could ever become Tech's head coach.

I would be willing to take a chance on a past Tech player with O'Brien's limited experience, but not a non-Tech person with the stated desires to go elsewhere.

I would rather take a chance on Jimmy Robinson than O'Brien.

smile.gif

One of the great mysteries that we will never know is just who was calling the shots - both plays and players - with this year's offense. Don't know if Gailey stepped in ala O'leary and made the same mistake - stifling the assistants, or if he was hands off. You'd have to be in staff meetings or on the headphones to know. I do know this - Gailey is ultimately responsible, and neither he nor O'leary appear to be great administrators of other coaches. McWhorter and the remaining staff did a a great job last year in the bowl. But during O'Leary's last year he was seen more and more over Roof and OB's shoulder. The real key, and this is why I am unsold on Gailey , is to have the balance of stepping in to add some direction but generally hiring good people and letting them coach. For all of Friedgen's respect as an offensive coach, you will notice he did not step in as so many others do and continue to call plays. He hired good people and lets the coordinators, like Teaffe, do their job.

I'm with you bugboy. You've been RIGHT on the last couple of days and this board needs lots more posters like you. Rational and realistic while somewhat optimistic!

HAPPY HOLIDAZE!!

Originally posted by Father WASP:
One of the great mysteries that we will never know is just who was calling the shots - both plays and players - with this year's offense. Don't know if Gailey stepped in ala O'leary and made the same mistake
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ibelieve we do know because Coach Gailey said at the beginning and on several occassions that he did not call the plays BoB did. Chan said he would make suggestions about runnung (Duke) or passing but not call particular plays and I believe him as a man of character who stood up for principle so much he was passed over by others for their job as coach because he had promised Miami he would stay through the playoffs and he did this becausehe felt it was the right thing to do. And I appreciate him for that and believe him when he says who calls the plays.

Back