Both Pastner and Nell being considered for UNC job

Would be funny if all our players announced they're returning then Pastner left.

But seriously, Pastner had a good year, but I don't think he's shown enough greatness that this is something I worry about too much. The main risk to me would be our 2022 recruiting class and a break in continuity for our basketball program.

The Jacket

The Coat
Would be funny if all our players announced they're returning then Pastner left.

But seriously, Pastner had a good year, but I don't think he's shown enough greatness that this is something I worry about too much. The main risk to me would be our 2022 recruiting class and a break in continuity for our basketball program.
I am not worried that Pastner will leave, but we do need to lock Nell down yesterday.

jts1207

5 years $10 million 1 NCAA 0 wins + Prob = GOAT
Lmao....did pastners agent call that in

bonham

Dodd-Like
Remember that UNC has a history of hiring mediocre coaches after the legends. Remember Guthridge and Doherty?

18in32

Petard Hoister
Remember that UNC has a history of hiring mediocre coaches after the legends. Remember Guthridge and Doherty?
Don't mention Guthridge and Doherty in the same breath.

Guthridge coached UNC for three seasons... and went to the Final 4 in two of them. His lifetime win% of 0.741 is right below Roy (0.748) and above Frank McGuire (0.739).

Doherty, OTOH, was a 0.552 coach at UNC. He's the Mike Shula of college basketball. Or something.

bonham

Dodd-Like
Don't mention Guthridge and Doherty in the same breath.

Guthridge coached UNC for three seasons... and went to the Final 4 in two of them. His lifetime win% of 0.741 is right below Roy (0.748) and above Frank McGuire (0.739).

Doherty, OTOH, was a 0.552 coach at UNC. He's the Mike Shula of college basketball. Or something.
Guthridge's first Final Four team was loaded with players that had gone to the Final Four the previous year under Dean Smith. It had Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Ed Cota,and Shammond Williams. My mom could have taken that team to the FF.

His second FF was with a team that entered the tournament as an 8th seed and caught fire. I guess you can say that's good, but there is a whole different level of expectations at UNC. And they get unreal talent just because of the name.

18in32

Petard Hoister
My mom could have taken that team to the FF.
If she did I’d say she was a good coach too.

I judge Guthridge not on some ambiguous hypothetical, but on what he did. And what he did was win 75% of his games.

Sometimes the eye test should be invoked to excuse a failure — but never to denigrate success, IMHO.

bonham

Dodd-Like
If she did I’d say she was a good coach too.

I judge Guthridge not on some ambiguous hypothetical, but on what he did. And what he did was win 75% of his games.

Sometimes the eye test should be invoked to excuse a failure — but never to denigrate success, IMHO.
Sure.

I guess my point is that I don't think Guthridge is any better than Pastner who was mentioned for the job. Give Pastner a team with multiple future NBA all-stars and he could easily take them to a FF.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Sure.

I guess my point is that I don't think Guthridge is any better than Pastner who was mentioned for the job. Give Pastner a team with multiple future NBA all-stars and he could easily take them to a FF.
The trope that it doesn't take good coaching to win with great talent has been refuted many times in the history of sports...

WreckRod

Dodd-Like
The trope that it doesn't take good coaching to win with great talent has been refuted many times in the history of sports...
Les Miles natty at LSU, and really, all of his wins at LSU.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Les Miles natty at LSU, and really, all of his wins at LSU.
Does that mean you want me to list you examples of teams with really great recruits/lotta talent/high draft picks who didn't win national championships?

I would've thought a Tech fan, aware of the existence of that school to the east, didn't need me to point this out.

WreckRod

Dodd-Like
Does that mean you want me to list you examples of teams with really great recruits/lotta talent/high draft picks who didn't win national championships?

I would've thought a Tech fan, aware of the existence of that school to the east, didn't need me to point this out.
No, just just arguing for its own sake.
And sure, the dwags are brilliant example of doing less with more.

18in32

Petard Hoister
No, just just arguing for its own sake.
And sure, the dwags are brilliant example of doing less with more.
As a paid arguer, I get more than my fill of arguing for its own sake already! Peace –

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Hubert’s presser was insufferable. He went on about how only someone who went to UNC could coach there. They have to experience what a special place it is to be capable of coaching there. He will only hire from within the family.

Packer and Wes discussed it this morning, with Packer saying how important it was for the “two shades of blue” to be back on top in college basketball, for the ACC and for college basketball. It all made it easy to quickly dislike Hubert.