Bowl Talk

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Anybody thinking about our bowl game yet?

I saw today that Minnesota has a 6'9", 400 lb freshman (from Australia) on their OL. Holy carp.

Sounds like they were almost a different team on defense after they fired their defensive coordinator - they got a lot better midseason, somehow. It also sounds like they're putting in a different defensive gameplan for us, which could go either way. Hopefully that "first time against the option" magic can work one more time for us.

This is our first time playing Minnesota, third time playing in Michigan (after previous games against Michigan and Michigan State), and our fourth game ever against a Big 10 opponent (which seems hard to believe).

I hope the team is rested, healed, and fired up to win one more for CPJ. With the coaches off the recruiting trail and free of distractions (other than losing their jobs...), hopefully we're as well-prepared as we've ever been for a bowl game.

I've been disappointed so many times by our performance in bowls that I'm not optimistic, but it really would be nice to wrap up this era of GT football on a high note.

JRjr

Only other Big 10 opponent in the CPJ era was Iowa, right?

Yep. I don't know much Big 10 history, but I assume the others were probably those Michigan and MSU games (which were in the 70s and the 30s, IIRC).

JRjr

That’s wild to me that as old and storied of a program as we have, that this will only be the 4th time we’ve ever played a Big10 team.

Apparently their best defensive player is sitting out for the draft. And a story came out 2 weeks ago saying 5-7 of their players might be suspended for the game. Their board I found has a 42 page thread on that subject and even they don’t know who if anybody has actually been suspended.

Other than that I haven’t seen them play this year. So no idea.

That’s wild to me that as old and storied of a program as we have, that this will only be the 4th time we’ve ever played a Big10 team.
I don’t think that is correct. If we played Michigan and Michigan State up there and Michigan State in a bowl - and Purdue and Iowa in bowls then this will be the sixth time. But I don’t know if they are counting GT playing up there. Also played Penn State at least twice, Maryland a bunch of times and Nebraska at least once.

We are going to destroy them. Only wish I could be there, but that was literally the only bowl I wouldn’t go to.

Demetra put this out there. Seems favorable...

Minnesota ranked 118th in the nation in yards per carry allowed (5.2).
Tech faced three teams this year with a higher average: Virginia Tech, Bowling Green and Louisville. We averaged 59 points and 460 rushing yards in those 3 games.

Last edited:

Not correct. We've played Michigan once (1930's, way to travel Coach Alex), Michigan State 3 times (71,72,85), Iowa once (2009), and Purdue once (Peach 1978 I think was the year).

We've also played Penn State several times prior to their joining the conference, Nebraska (!) and obviously Maryland as well.

Either I remembered wrong or GT has updated their info - their Facebook thing about the bowl says this will be our seventh game against a Big 10 team.

JRjr

Tech is going to destroy the Gophers tomorrow. It’s not going to be remotely close.

I was at the 1985 All-American Bowl in Birmingham, AL when Tech beat Michigan State 17-14. QB Todd Rampley led the Yellow Jackets to victory after Curry suspended John Dewberry and Gary Lee for team rules violations.

I missed the 1978 Peach Bowl loss to Purdue, 41-21. My first Tech game ever was the 17-13 victory over the Florida Gators at Grant Field that same year.

I was at the 1985 All-American Bowl in Birmingham, AL when Tech beat Michigan State 17-14. QB Todd Rampley led the Yellow Jackets to victory after Curry suspended John Dewberry and Gary Lee for team rules violations.

I missed the 1978 Peach Bowl loss to Purdue, 41-21. My first Tech game ever was the 17-13 victory over the Florida Gators at Grant Field that same year.
I was at both those bowl games. I was still in the army for the 78 Peach, and was home for Xmas just prior to getting out and going to school. If I remember correctly my old high school pal Drew ran a kick back for a TD.

My first Tech game ever was the 17-13 victory over the Florida Gators at Grant Field that same year.
Being that I grew up in Florida and now in a UF MBA program with lots of friends who did their undergrad at florida, I would love for us to renew that game.

Either I remembered wrong or GT has updated their info - their Facebook thing about the bowl says this will be our seventh game against a Big 10 team.

JRjr
three against Sparty, 1 Michigan, 1 Purdue, 1 Iowa.

the Iowa game ... froze our asses off in Miami. of all places. Saw PJ a few months after the game and told him that not only did we freeze in Miami but then the fire alarm in our hotel went off at 2 am. So thanks for that trip. And Iowa's front seven was pretty legit. Just about as good as LSU's the year before. Damn that was a long way to go for an ass kicking.

I didn't go to the All American Bowl but I watched and didn't Sparty have Lorenzo White, who was one of the best running backs in the nation that year? Played several years with the Oilers (Houston, not Edmonton).
We ran into Dewberry one night in a bar and got his story on the bowl suspension.

I was there -endzone seats and had a perfect view of the perfect pass Rampley threw into a Spartan’s chest from our own endzone. Thank God Sparty dropped it or we would have lost.

Roof and company put the clamps on Lorenzo White that night. Good times after a couple of really painful seasons.

Back