Boy, Conference USA drops to a season series tie with SEC

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
After dominating the early portion of the '03 season series with the SEC, 4 games to 2, ConUSA slipped as the visiting team to fall into a tie with the deteriorating SEC.
Each conference won 5 games. The CUSA winners were Louisville over Kentucky, Memphis over Ole Miss, Houston over Miss St, Tulane over Miss St & TCU over Vanderbilt. The CUSA loses were So Fla @ Ala, Mem @ Miss St, So Miss @ Ala, U of Ala-Bir @ SCar & UAB @ Ga.
With middle-of-the-pack Memphis whipping SEC west leader, Ole Miss, handily & middle-of-the-pack UAB leading in the 3rd qtr & tied in the 4th qtr before losing by a FG @ Ga, it says to me that the SEC leaders could not win the ConUSA championship.
ConUSA would schedule the SEC for homecoming if they could get the SEC to come to their stadiums. Unfortunately for CUSA, SEC ADs are now burning up the phone lines to Sunbelt Conf teams trying to get the Sunbelt for home games. The problem is that the Sunbelt only has 6 teams & the SEC has 12. What is the SEC to do to find beatable teams?

I assume this post was tongue in cheek? Otherwise it is the dumbest post I have ever read. Take another look at the victories. Three of them are over MS St or Vandy. These are the 2 worst teams in the SEC.

Memphis over Ole Miss is an upset but please don't act like they are the best team in the West. They will lose to Auburn and LSU and go back to their normal position in the standings.

Saying that the SEC leaders couldn't win the C-USA championship is utterly ridiculous. Do you really think that UGA couldn't win C-USA?

Anyway, I did enjoy watching UAB yesterday. If they hadn't shot themselves in the foot at the end of the game they very well might have won.

CDK,
I think you totally missed his point.

The SEC extremists think that nobody outside of the SEC can match up with virtually any SEC team...especially someone in a so-called lesser conference.

The SEC is about 90+% hot air....and it is proven over and over again as they venture outside the conference.

Originally posted by chilidogking:

Saying that the SEC leaders couldn't win the C-USA championship is utterly ridiculous. Do you really think that UGA couldn't win C-USA?

Anyway, I did enjoy watching UAB yesterday. If they hadn't shot themselves in the foot at the end of the game they very well might have won.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Chili:
Just got back from Athens (UGA vs UAB). The Dawgs really sweated bullets over this one. The offensive line of UAB was huge... some up over 350 lbs. Smallest was 295. They just rammed the ball down UGAs throat on several offensive drives. They also knocked Pollack (All-American defensive end) out of the game (sprained knee) and he didn't come back. For a young team, UAB was really good. Granted, UGA was beaten up pretty bad going into the game but UAB damn sure surprised me.

Morale of the story... they 'can' be beaten. UGA has 3 tough games coming up with Florida, Auburn and GT. Injuries have taken a toll on UGA so far this season and their offense can be contained. Wish you had been there to hear some of the comments about the Dawgs from the RV crowd season tickets holders. These folks were pretty concerned about how their beloved Dawgs are currently doing.

Go Jackets....

BuzzB

Originally posted by Buzz Bomb:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by chilidogking:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Chili:
Just got back from Athens (UGA vs UAB). The Dawgs really sweated bullets over this one. The offensive line of UAB was huge... some up over 350 lbs. Smallest was 295. They just rammed the ball down UGAs throat on several offensive drives. They also knocked Pollack (All-American defensive end) out of the game (sprained knee) and he didn't come back. For a young team, UAB was really good. Granted, UGA was beaten up pretty bad going into the game but UAB damn sure surprised me.

Morale of the story... they 'can' be beaten. UGA has 3 tough games coming up with Florida, Auburn and GT. Injuries have taken a toll on UGA so far this season and their offense can be contained. Wish you had been there to hear some of the comments about the Dawgs from the RV crowd season tickets holders. These folks were pretty concerned about how their beloved Dawgs are currently doing.

Go Jackets....

BuzzB
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Completely agreed. I also went to the game yesterday in Athens. UGA looked awful and I think we will beat them if they play like they did yesterday. UAB was playing their backup QB and he is inexperienced and not very good.

I wore a green shirt and a Tech hat. Got some strange looks to say the least...

Good for you on the Tech hat. My younger Tech daughter wore her GT shirt to the UGA Homecoming parade.

After the parade, our RV club hosted the UGA cheerleaders for dinner. The cheerleaders saw my daughters GT shirt. They literally gave her a UGA shirt and made her promise that she would wear it to the game on Saturday. She did indeed fulfill her promise by wearing the shirt... with her GT shirt on the outside to cover it up.

BuzzB

I think its sad how many people here still have a serious SEC inferiority complex.

I can not help but recall, despite the stats, that a few years ago some were laughing about an LSU team that lost to UAB. I recall LSU played someone in the Peach Bowl that year. Don't compare scores, ever. Focus on Puke U. It will be the toughest game of the year so far. We usually play terrible up there, & roof will bee geeked.

Originally posted by Buzz Bomb:
Good for you on the Tech hat. My younger Tech daughter wore her GT shirt to the UGA Homecoming parade.

After the parade, our RV club hosted the UGA cheerleaders for dinner. The cheerleaders saw my daughters GT shirt. They literally gave her a UGA shirt and made her promise that she would wear it to the game on Saturday. She did indeed fulfill her promise by wearing the shirt... with her GT shirt on the outside to cover it up.

BuzzB
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">1. Pics?
2. You raised your daughter well.

grin.gif

Back