Boys, I Just Checked Out BYU On CNNSI.COM and ...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
if we don't win this one, it will be a long, long season. If we can get just adequate QB play we should beat a team that lost to Neveda, UNLV, New Mexico, and Utah last year. I know we lost to mighty Fresno St so I'll make my case with the point that if our program is at the level that we can't beat the Fresno's and BYU's of college football, then boys it is time to sack up the bats and take it to the house. With that said I say we take BYU 28 - 21 and the only reason it will be that close is we'll play this one close to the vest.

South Georgia Jacket

SouthGa, I think we should win also. But to base your prediction on last year is the same as Sagarin basing the season opening ratings on last year's team. It makes little sense. We don't know how many players they got back from injury or missions, whether their new DC will make a big difference or simply whether the new kids replacing seniors are actually better players.

Gosh, I just looked at us on CNNSI.COM and it is amazing how close we were to being 9 - 2 or even 10 -1 going into the UGA game. We lost three games that could have easily gone our way: CLEM, WF, and FSU and really should have won two of those. I wonder what the demeanor on this board would be if we had been 9 - 2 going into the UGA game, got whipped by the pups lets say 35 - 17 and gone to a decent bowl and lost to a good team by a TD. That would have put us at 9 - 4. We'd still have some ticked off folks about getting whipped by UGA and losing the bowl game to finish the season but I think the outlook would be a little more upbeat and Gailey would have more support. Well, that's the WHAT IF world.

South Georgia Jacket

I agree that this should be a win for us, but I don't know how much BYU's last season should be scrutinized. It was supposedly an off year for them and although they lost to some lousy programs, GTech didn't exactly wax them.

BYU seemed to struggle offensively throughout the season, which is unusual, and I'm sure those issues were addressed during the off season. In addition, they've hired a new defensive coordinator. So, it will definitely be an interesting match and I think a lot of Tech's season will be determined by the outcome of this game.

If Tech wins, the season will most likely be a great one. However, if BYU wins, the rest of the year will be pretty rough.

Originally posted by SouthGa:
Gosh, I just looked at us on CNNSI.COM and it is amazing how close we were to being 9 - 2 or even 10 -1 going into the UGA game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Its also amazing how close Ohio State was to losing 4 games last year. Yet they won them all. As close as it may seem -- the difference is really huge.

We lost those close games in the second half...
Last years team that lost to Clemson, WF and F$U was a far cry from the team that lost to UGAG and Fresno State... Won't dwell in the past but lets say the first three we lost because we got worn down physically... final two... worn down mentally and emotionally... reasons vary but that's how I saw it...

If the team starts the season with the same spirit and heart that it displayed in the first 7-8 games last year they should win at BYU but it will be interesting because of the close to vest gameplan and because it's never easy to win in Provo... the following three games will either endear this team to us or spell disaster for Chan and company...

TECH teams always play with spirit so I hope to beat BYU and make a strong showing against the War Chickens... after AU we'll all know what our team is made of...

As I recall, we beat BYU last year, with Hollings playing 1 half and part of 1 series and with Suggs at QB. Anybody who doesn't think we have a chance to win has their head in the sand.

Originally posted by GTnut:
As I recall, we beat BYU last year, with Hollings playing 1 half and part of 1 series and with Suggs at QB. Anybody who doesn't think we have a chance to win has their head in the sand.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">True, we did beat them with Hollings pretty much playing only the first half before going down, but remember, we won only won because it was a come from behind win. Tech scored 14 points in the 4th quarter. Hollings was gone during that time. Remember that the BYU QB situation was in disarray too and they ended up playing a third stringer for the majority of the time. That third stringer isn't even involved in BYU's QB controversy this year. He's now playing safety.

I agree, Tech should beat them, but I don't know how much we can count last year as a preview to what we'll be facing this year. Their two QBs that will most likely play against us didn't even play against us last year and they have a new defensive scheme which they didn't use against us.

The advantages for us are that they have a very young offensive line (may play three freshman) and they've never played this new defensive scheme in a live game situation, so nobody on their defense has game speed experience.

I'm anxious to see some of Gailey's trick plays. No doubt he'll have that advantage with Bilbo playing a new position. BYU will certainly be confused.

I still think the final score will be Tech 24 - BYU 3. Our defense will be the key to the succuss we'll see. With lots of grinding it up the middle and then a few trick plays in store, the game will be pretty exciting. I only hope Gailey doesn't show too many of his cards this early in the season.

Don't want to throw cold water on your optimism but...(1)BYU took their lumps last year letting their young QB play and make mistakes(2) BYU thrives in their home stadium - they are not a good road team (3) BYU can reload in a hurry due to missionary returnees and far reaching recruiting base - notably California. Western football has improved in the last decade - this one is going to be no pushover.

First game with no warm ups before BYU this season. At least last season GT was battled tested before we played them and at home. It was a tough game here and won in the 4th quarter.

I agree with Wasp and OGB - they will be tough and it will not be easy.

The oddsmakers see a close one and in that scenario the kicking game in which they have a huge advantage could be the deciding factor.
I'm not real sure how they are just a 3 pt favorite which is just homefield advantage.My guess is the defenses will dominate for most of the game.If we do not get superior QBing Tech will lose and maybe decisively late.

If they have a young OL then that somewhat negates our biggest weakness...a thin, young, light DL. Our OL however is huge and regardless of QB play will push their DL off the ball and we should be able to consistently avg 3-4 yards per carry. Expect a conservative first few series with Ball at QB. In other words, we run the ball until they put 8 in the box, then Ball throws the ball...but even then from the rollout so he can tuck it and run if the receivers aren't open. I don't think Gailey wants him standing in the pocket working through his progressions in his first college game and one which is played on ESPN2. Better to give him the ball on the outside and allow him to make his primary read, his secondary read if the primary is covered and then tuck and run from there.

My prediction: Tech 24 BYU 13

Originally posted by GTnut:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hollings got injured late in the 4th while we were putting the game away. Maybe I was drunk though...but I remember him playing most of the 2nd half too. This will be a tough game and his loss is understated.

Hollings was injured on what turned out to be the last or next-to-the-last series of the game for Tech's offense. If you watch the replays, you'll see Gailey stop Hollings as he ran out onto the field. According to the papers after the game, CG told Hollings that it was on his shoulders to keep running the clock away for the final 3 or 4 minutes left in the game.

Originally posted by i_bleed_gold_white:
Hollings was injured on what turned out to be the last or next-to-the-last series of the game for Tech's offense. If you watch the replays, you'll see Gailey stop Hollings as he ran out onto the field. According to the papers after the game, CG told Hollings that it was on his shoulders to keep running the clock away for the final 3 or 4 minutes left in the game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're right. My mistake.

FW, is right!

BYU will be a tough opponent at their place.

Having a son who played at the Air Force
Academy, I can vouch for the MWC.

As I recall BYU had one of the largest
offensive lines we played last year.

Having to deal with their maturity level
will also be tough, because many of their
players who come back from missions are
in the 22-25 years age group.

My gut feeling tells me when, but I think
it will be a tough game at their place.

Back