Boys, It's Bad When Vandy Is Licking Their Chops...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
Boys, It\'s Bad When Vandy Is Licking Their Chops...

Check the vandy board on insider, they are talking some serious trash. If we're 0-4 going into Vandy and they whip us, then it's 0 - 12.
I personally think we win 5 or 6 if the injury bug doesn't hit.

South Georgia Jacket

Re: Boys, It\'s Bad When Vandy Is Licking Their Chops...

It's bad because...?
We've been picked 8th out of 9th in the ACC
We've been given the 3rd toughest schedule in the country.
We've been ranked 46th in the nation.
blah blah blah, it all means as much as what I choose to read while on the crapper.

Let Vandy lick their chops. Let Duke lick their chops. Let them pick Tech to be 117th out of 117th. It doesn't matter. What matters is what happens "when toe meets leather."

In the past Tech has thrived when picked to do bad. 1990 we didn't get in the top 25 until 4 or 5 weeks into the season. In 2000 we beat #5 ranked Clemson in our 9th game to go 7-2 and we just barely squeaked into the top 25. I like it when other teams lick their chops about playing tech. It means they'll be over looking us, and Tech is too good for anyone to overlook (see NC State and Virgina last year). they'll be licking their wounds after we play them.

BTW, original topic.

In 1990 during that whole summer everyone was talking about an undefeated season! Heavens, we knew what we had. I can remember going to Fan Photo Day and talking with players and they were all saying they thought they could go undefeated.

After 1989 and how we ended, everything was up from there and everyone was back. No comparison now! I went back to work that Monday after Fan Photo Day and told everyone what the players were saying and believing - the UGAG fans were in denial! '89 was the first step to what ended up happening in '90!

It's unfortunate now that the likes of the Vandy's and the Duke's are licking chops - when did we ever believe that would happen?

I went over there....Unless I missed something it's really not as bad as I thought. It just seemed like typical fans looking at the schedule and seeing what games are winnable. Most fans come into a season a bit overconfident, trying to find where they might be able to steal a few wins in the upcoming season (except for some tech fans lately). They believe that we are a winnable game, just as we believe they are one. That's all I saw. I think they are putting too much hope in our academic losses however....the rumor there was that we lost 2 starting LB's in Green, Lawston, and McNair.

Just for the record a lot of those Vandy fans were talking about how they were going to beat us at home last year because we had lost our best RB, WR, and QB. I spent plenty of time trying to let them know we would be ok. We were certainly a part of their 4 and 5 win predictions a year ago. It was nice to see that their first string finally got the ball across midfield against our 3rd Teamers in the 4th quarter.

In a way, I LIKE the fact that everybody will be penciling us in for a win...I like it a LOT...Unlike the last 3-4 years, we'll be the dogs....In my 40 +/- years of following Tech, we ALWAYS seem to perform better in this position (I wish somebody could explain this to me- but its true)...

I don't think we'll win 7-8 games, but I firmly believe we'll pull 1-2 big upsets this year....Just a hunch

Vandy has a football discussion board?? hmmm

drinking.gif

In 2001 during that whole summer everyone was talking about an undefeated season! Heavens, we knew what we had. I can remember going to Fan Photo Day and talking with players and they were all saying they thought they could go undefeated.

After 2000 and how we ended, everything was up from there and everyone was back. No comparison now! I went back to work that Monday after Fan Photo Day and told everyone what the players were saying and believing.

I remember that season well. Every one on The Hive was predicting a national championship. We had gone 9-3 the previous year, but lost the Peach Bowl as Ralph left before the bowl game.

I predicted an 8-4 record on The Hive for 2001, because I realized Ralph was the driving force behind the previous winning seasons. As soon as I predicted an 8-4 season, I was hung on the cross right next to Jesus.

Of course, I admit, I was wrong. We went 8-5 instead of 8-4. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Let's see, hmmmm, Vandy and Duke licking their chops! Gailey coached Tech in 2002, did Vandy and Duke beat us last year?

rolleyes.gif

Ahso...
We don't know what we have here this season - lots of questions that need to be answered, player wise, coaching, depth, QB you name it, that's why other teams like Vandy and Duke are talking smack!

Things are not in place like they were in 1990 we were on the upswing then.

Doesn't it matter who thinks they can beat us? Let the games be played and we will pummel Vandy just like we did last year.. what was the score of that game? Didn't we get 45? what about Duke did there offense even cross the 50 when they played us? Who cares what others say I'm licking my chops for Miami next year that doesn't mean we have a chance in hell at beating them though

Just the fact that they 'think' they can is an issue! We use to talk smack to but it was about FSU, UGAG not the cupcakes!

Vandy has a history of playing Bama, UGA, Auburn, Florida, and UT tough in Nashville. But those were the Vandy teams of DiNardo and Woody. They had a tough defense in those days. Vandy doesn't have that now and shouldn't pose a problem for the #8 team in the ACC.

Like it or not, Vandy CAN beat Tech this year. Duke CAN beat Tech this year.
Tech should win both, but who knows if the wheels come completely off after a possible 0-4 start. There is blood in the water, and everyone smells it.
BOO

BDG, you are right about one point. Tech could beat either or defeat either according to how the team performs.

It is always true the aura of any team gives it an additional advantage in a game. If a team thinks it can beat you, it gains an advantage.

That is the very reason FSU has lost its edge. It has lost its aura of being invincible.

Father Time

Vandy couldn't lick their chops if their life depended on it. They have a non-program and there will be twice as many TECH fans in the seats. It's wishful thinking on the part of their tiny fan base. Bobby Johnson (HC) is in his second year. It'll take him a lot longer than a couple of years to win the SEC. They can't be overlooked but freakin out over a Vandy board is unacceptably anal.

They can lick their chops right before we kick them in the chops.

MsTA I don't get your point at all. First, I don't know what our players thought in '90 has to do with what some Vandy fans think now. I'll bet you that plenty of teams on our schedule in '90 thought they were going to beat us. I don't remember our 7-4 record in '89 scaring too many people.

Also, there can't be too many more Vandy fans who think they will beat us this year than there were last year. Some of those guys predict a winning record every year. And for the record it's not like everybody over there is penciling in a win. Check it out for yourself.

And finally I don't care what our opponents think, I care what our players think. And if we can help get them fired up that's our job as fans, not to get on message boards and tell them they suck. If we get off to a good start Vandy fans will disappear just like they always do. I'm not worried about them or about Duke.

Back