Braine Must Really Be Feeling The Heat

Big Buck

Flats Noob
There is another big article in today's Macon Telegraph by Paul Newberry interviewing Braine and
he is crying all over the place. He thought the letter to us fans explaining how Gailey had fallen on hard times was a mistake. But of course Dave doesn't make mistakes so he shifted the blame to the Athletic Board who instructed him to write the letter. He said that he didn't enjoy his job anymore because of all the pressure and he also stated that if Tech kept him through the duration of his contract that he wouldn't be around anymore. By the way, his contract expires in 2007 according to him. He also said that he was not optimistic about expansion and he also insisted that Chan was indeed the man if the Tech fans would only give him a chance. All of the interviews lately sounds like a man just waiting for the executioner to come to his cell and take him on his final steps and he intends to go out screaming and kicking.

I don't think he's feeling too much heat now according to Furman Bisher's article yesterday.

Furman said that Braine even went to Clough to offer his resignation and that Clough wouldn't hear of it, telling him to more or less keep his chin up and get back to work. Things aren't that sticky for ol Dave as of yet.

The link:

Tech, UGA: AD opposites

bishersigopt.gif

If he set out to redirect the heat from Chan to himself, he's done an excellent job.

Thanks 2Big, Very interesting.

I agree with you Belly. There are some element of this thing that we hear from so-called reliable sources that don't add up. Maybe I've forgotten all the math I learned when I was young.

Big Buck: Another article written by Newberry in the Griffin Times on Saturday, similar but not quite the same. If you're spending that much time with the media trying to plead your case ... the Clough factor is not making him feel all that comfy and cozy. He's worried even with Clough's support!

He has plenty to worry about. He projects himself as saving GT football - Homer did that and then Homer brought back George O'Leary, but he never mentions that. Sorry Dave, the conditions were different from George's return and Chan's hire. No comparison here in the state of the program.
pat.gif

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:

He has plenty to worry about. He projects himself as saving GT football
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Has he really been saying that? I thought he was just pointing out the Bowl success (in terms of consecutive appearances) to the naysayers that say our program is in the toilet (not saying we're there...)

Just Curious.

Tech Noir

Thanks Ms TechAnalysis. I didn't know about the Griffin article but he is indeed coming across as
a man in distress. Someone is putting some heat on this cat. I remember when Bud Carson was having his troubles that The Hearn guy from Charlotte stepped up and applied some big time pressure and he finished what others was just griping about. I have an idea that a few heavy lifters have suggested to Dave thathe change addresses and if enough of them insist you will see Dr. Clough cave in.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Thanks Ms TechAnalysis. I didn't know about the Griffin article but he is indeed coming across as
a man in distress. Someone is putting some heat on this cat. I remember when Bud Carson was having his troubles that The Hearn guy from Charlotte stepped up and applied some big time pressure and he finished what others was just griping about. I have an idea that a few heavy lifters have suggested to Dave thathe change addresses and if enough of them insist you will see Dr. Clough cave in.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BBuck: Sometimes I wonder if they even care about what we think and how the fans feel about anything - but I have to believe between the Chan negativity and now this - it's making a difference in perception and where do we go from here. Questions abounding at every turn by all the fans, you, me and money!

He ought to feel the heat.He brought it on himself.
Clough may feel the heat in the future if this ACC expansion "dance" does not work out well.He is right in the middle of it AND protecting daBraine also.

he's sending one message loud and clear....

give me the money and I'll go, otherwise you sniveling Tech fans are just going to have to put up with my arrogance, incompetence, and biweekly fishing trips.
mad.gif

Drew Hearn aka "that Hearn guy from Charlotte" is about as hard-core a GT alum as you will ever find! I believe both his son and daughter went to Tech, his daughter married a Tech man, and his boat down at HHI has a near life-size 'Wreck' painted on the transom! He is also one of the most decent human beings you could ever hope to meet!

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Dave'll leave alright, as soon as someone drops a $million in his bank account, no strings attached. Otherwise, he ain't about to walk. When the golden parachute opens, Dave'll be flying, but until then he ain't about to leave the plane.
Offering to resign today is not even close to what we grew up believing resigning was. "Here's my resignation. Want our lawyers to get together to decide on the buyout"? If Dave was offered a job making more money, he'd be gone in a flash, but that ain't ever gonna happen.
Chan Gailey's in exactly the same boat, with the same navigational system & same destination. Chan could have a job tomorrow in the pros for half the money, so he's not ever gonna leave of his own accord. That kinda stuff DOES NOT happen today in our world.
If the GT powers want Braine or Gailey gone, they will have to commit the GTAA to pay for it, in big time bucks, & it's that simple. We pay em a huge amount of $$$ & they leave, otherwise they stay, drawing down hefty paychecks all the while. It's a 'no lose' situation for them once they've gotten their name on the dotted line that GT drew up.
Ga Tech has to pay the price for errors in judgement. You think Bill Lewis has any loyalty to GT? Not 1 iota. Gailey's exactly the same. Heck, he played against Ga Tech. He's here for the best paycheck availiable, with the best long term security.
If you want at least some loyalty, you'd have to look at Jimmy Robinson or Ted Roof.

GT Ace, I think your assumption may be wrong. I doubt any of the powers at Tech, the big money people, want to get rid of Gailey at this time. My guess is they will follow him intently this year to see how the team progresses.

Since the big donors were smart enough to make all that money, I would think they are smart enough to realize it takes more than one year to prove yourself.

By the way, you really don't know any thing about Gailey and his desire for money. You are just shooting off your mouth like a shotgun. You are accusing him of being dishonest and not caring for the program.

Again, you are just shooting off your mouth and know nothing of the sort. It would seem by now, you would state things you could prove, instead of stating your opinions as facts.

Most anyone will take a handful of money if it is offered to them. That does mean money is his primary objective. I am willing to state my opinion that he would rather win big and run an honest program. My opinion is his main objective is not the money, but the desire to win.

By the way, Gailey's record of 7-6 and a bowl game his first year is better than O'Leary's first 2 1/2 years of 11-14, 0-3 against UGA, and no bowl games. Gailey's first year record ties Bill Fulcher for the most wins of any coach in his first year at GT.

So, why would the powers want to run him off at this time? Maybe if O'Leary paid back the 1.5 million he owes, we could buy out Braine. And, by the way, did you see O'Leary turn down the big bucks offered to him? He did not care about Tech? He was not a Tech man.

O'Leary cared for Tech so much, he quit Tech and bolted for Notre Dame when the wheels came off the wagon in 2001. Not only did he take the big bucks, he reneged on his promise to pay the 1.5 million if he left.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Back